The Top 5 Most Overrated rappers in the industry

ARon

cm_millionaire, so it seems that this thread has turned into a, why NaS isn't overrated thread, or who is better than him and who is not. And well the whole mainstream underground thing.
So name 5 rappers that you think is better than NaS, and if you bring up those 5 rappers from your list before, just don't even bother, Saigon wouldn't even say he is better than NaS(I'm still laughin at the Francis Sage thing). And quit bringing up "underground" so much, that is a lot of ignorance truthfully. "I know more and my opinion is more valid because i hear artist who are from the underground", not exactly "more" artists, but artist from the underground(not saying that you don't know more than you average Aftermath/Shady fan, cus you do, respect is there). So, lets have a good conversation about rap, since it seems we know some, who would you say is better than NaS.

Aristotle said:
cm_millionaire, so it seems that this thread has turned into a, why NaS isn't overrated thread, or who is better than him and who is not. And well the whole mainstream underground thing.
Sadly so.
Aristotle said:
So name 5 rappers that you think is better than NaS, and if you bring up those 5 rappers from your list before, just don't even bother, Saigon wouldn't even say he is better than NaS(I'm still laughin at the Francis Sage thing).
Saigon wouldn't hyperbolize his position in the game because what he has achieved thus far is miniscule in comparison to an emcee like NaS. However his bantam catalogue is still better than the majority of what NaS has dropped in the last ten years.

I understand Sage Francis isn't to everyone's taste primarily because he is an old school revivalist. He has however won a couple of prestigious freestyle battle championships (NCPAA, Urban Park, Superbowl MC Battle, ) which NaS at the prime of his career didn't win. That in itself should be reason enough for you to stop laughing at the comparison. In 2000 when NaS had just finished milking the abphorrent album that was Nastradamus, Sage was winning the Scribble Jam freestyle title, the highest honor in the hip-hop underground. His latest album 'A Healthy Distrust' has recieved widespread critical acclaim in every sector of the hip hop press (mainstream and underground) the last time NaS recieved such commendation was for the Lost Tapes (which wasn't even released as a coheasive body of upto-date work).
-You can dislike the guy by-all-means but you really have no reason whatsoever to laugh.

5 Rappers currently making better music than NaS (in no order)
1.) MF Doom
2.) Lil Wayne (And I only heard this cat properly a few weeks back)
3.) Saigon
4.) Brother Ali
5.) Ludacris (cat's gonna come at me for that but 'fuck it' his last three albums have been superior to the last three NaS put out in terms of overall quality)

Aristotle said:
And quit bringing up "underground" so much, that is a lot of ignorance truthfully. "I know more and my opinion is more valid because i hear artist who are from the underground", not exactly "more" artists, but artist from the underground(not saying that you don't know more than you average Aftermath/Shady fan, cus you do, respect is there). So, lets have a good conversation about rap, since it seems we know some, who would you say is better than NaS.
I consistantly bring up 'the underground' because that is where the main difference between myself and an average Aftermath/Shady fan comes into play. There isn't truthfully much on the mainstream circuit I can work with at the moment (Beanie, Luda, Wayne, Bun B, Cormega, Fat Joe and a few others excluded)

Lets have a good conversation...your feedback is appreciated.

VENOMOUS

On Probation: Please report any break in the guide
cm_millionaire said:
Sadly so.

Saigon wouldn't hyperbolize his position in the game because what he has achieved thus far is miniscule in comparison to an emcee like NaS. However his bantam catalogue is still better than the majority of what NaS has dropped in the last ten years.

I understand Sage Francis isn't to everyone's taste primarily because he is an old school revivalist. He has however won a couple of prestigious freestyle battle championships (NCPAA, Urban Park, Superbowl MC Battle, ) which NaS at the prime of his career didn't win. That in itself should be reason enough for you to stop laughing at the comparison. In 2000 when NaS had just finished milking the abphorrent album that was Nastradamus, Sage was winning the Scribble Jam freestyle title, the highest honor in the hip-hop underground. His latest album 'A Healthy Distrust' has recieved widespread critical acclaim in every sector of the hip hop press (mainstream and underground) the last time NaS recieved such commendation was for the Lost Tapes (which wasn't even released as a coheasive body of upto-date work).
-You can dislike the guy by-all-means but you really have no reason whatsoever to laugh.

5 Rappers currently making better music than NaS (in no order)
1.) MF Doom
2.) Lil Wayne (And I only heard this cat properly a few weeks back)
3.) Saigon
4.) Brother Ali
5.) Ludacris (cat's gonna come at me for that but 'fuck it' his last three albums have been superior to the last three NaS put out in terms of overall quality)

I consistantly bring up 'the underground' because that is where the main difference between myself and an average Aftermath/Shady fan comes into play. There isn't truthfully much on the mainstream circuit I can work with at the moment (Beanie, Luda, Wayne, Bun B, Cormega, Fat Joe and a few others excluded)

Lets have a good conversation...your feedback is appreciated.
lol yall niggaz is learning about lil wayne.

^^An don't get it twisted...

Nas is still special, I'm not saying his a wack emcee by any means, I'm just stating the point that he is overrated..
- He is one of the few mainstream artists who appeal to a wide variety of hip hop fans and retains a great respect in the face of fashionable prejudice.
- 'Thiefs Theme' has to be one of the dopest joints of last year but sadly isn't representive of his album's quality. This goes for every debut single NaS has ever dropped with the execption of Nastradamus and I Am (However 'NaS is like' blows 'Hate Me Now' out of the water so he can be excused for making a bad decision)
- Battling brings at the best of dude on wax. He murdered Jigga with 'Ether' (arguably one of the best diss tracks ever made) he'll do the same to 50 once we establish if he gives a fuck.
- His first album is the best hip hop disc ever made.
- His latest album is one of the better double discs ever made (but depending where you stand on double albums that might not be applaudable)

i agree with everything you said, especially about jada and 50. but nas???!!! WTF?! saying that if we think it was written was a classic, then we need to listen to more hip hop? are you serious? i think you need to listen to it was written a few more times.

p.s. i am is a solid album, and nastradamas isnt as bad as as people say. both albums get regular play in my cd player

Hallbanger said:
i agree with everything you said, especially about jada and 50. but nas???!!! WTF?! saying that if we think it was written was a classic, then we need to listen to more hip hop? are you serious? i think you need to listen to it was written a few more times.

p.s. i am is a solid album, and nastradamas isnt as bad as as people say. both albums get regular play in my cd player
If cd player's were entitled to gun license's you'd be sporting more holes than 50.

^^Now come on...that's not fair.
I can take people calling me a 'bitch' but to diss 'Dances With Wolves' is just taking it too far...
I will now retreat to my wigwam for the evening.
Good night all..
and lets get back to the hip hop discussion.
Peace.

ARon

KosimO said:
You just said Nas was overrated...You don't know what hip hop is.
You dont know what Rap is, therefore you wouldn't know hip-hop dont get the two confused. And nice reply :rolleyes:

Anyways CM.
I still don't know why you hold him in such disregard, you almost write things off in a way, like I Am... for example. Of course it is not NaS' best but it is a dope album, Ghetto Prisoners might be my favorite nas track, plus it has NY State of Mind pt II, Hate Me now was a good track, favor for a favor, small world, life is what you make it, i want to talk to you, nas is like, and so on....persoanlly i would say you should go give it another listen, dope album. None of those artist you have mentioned have really put out an album better than, shit, I Am..., except for Doom and Sage. Doom really aint that tight as people make him out to be, i think that his production is so different that is why people tend to overrate his work. You had sage on point also, album was nuts, nontheless, i wouldn't say he is testing nas. His last work Streets Disciple, i dont see how anyone can't feel this album, one of the best put together albums out, it flows nicely, each song has meaning, it is put on the album for a reason. One of the better albums we have seen lately, so as of nas "now" no one is really touching him. I mean Saigon is releasing this year, the mother fucker has too, just blaze has to make it happen, so im sure i can be disagreeing with this whole thing then, but until then, some come close, but i dont see anyone pushing him.
To go abck to the titles thing, which i forgot, i didn't see nas in that, he ain't about to go on HBO and battle, i mean he wouldn't even put up a mil on pay per view, so although they are releavent in rap, i wouldn't say they are with this, just basically cus nas was never in any such thing.
I feel you on the underground thing, but dont write anyones opinion off cus there head might not be as big as the next dudes.

ArtsyGirl

I (like most) agree with your list, all except NaS. His changed his style alot since Illmatic but I feel like his kept a consistant quality to his work atleast never dipping so low to be considered wack like many Mc's do during a long career like NaS'. I've heard a fair amount of Saigon (I love Color Purple the song is so deep and the message is so needed in the present state, anybody who hasnt heard this song get a hold of it) But at the same time the other tracks I heard I wasnt really feeling as much. If you have any songs like Color Purple let me know. The others on your list I've heard but honestly didnt get hooked into, maybe I need more time to listen. All the same NaS has managed to keep himself in the spotlight while creating some solid Hip Hop, which is what the artists you mentioned need to do (not the solid hip hop part but getting known more). In my opinion Nas is not over-rated and is just getting the recognition he deserves for his work after Illmatic.
And how can you disregard a man you consider a Legend?
The legends: Kool G Rap, Ice Cube, Big Daddy Kane, 2Pac Shakur, Nas, Biz Markie, Gangstar, Brand Numbian, Rakim, KRS One, Dr. Dre, Notorious B.I.G, A Tribe Called Quest, The Sugarhill Gang, King Tee
And if everyone here was an MTV groupie wouldnt they be arguing 50 and Games overrated status also?

ARon

artisticgurl said:
And if everyone here was an MTV groupie wouldnt they be arguing 50 and Games overrated status also?
Everyone is an MTV groupie, that is why you don't see people calling them overrated, cus they overrate them themselves.
I say this to everyone who is just getting into Saigon, just go get Warning Shots, not his best but damn good and a good start.

Tupac was underrated as a MC and as an artist and as a man.Remember that he died at the age of 25 which is very young...He didn't have the time to fulfill his real potential but he had already dropped 4 classic albums:Thug Life,Me Against The World,All Eyez On Me & Makaveli...MCs are at their best when they reach the age of 28-30...His flow,lyrics & production skills would have been better if he was still alive today...

You will desagree with that but it's your problem now...

Saaphir said:
Tupac was underrated as a MC and as an artist and as a man.Remember that he died at the age of 25 which is very young...He didn't have the time to fulfill his real potential but he had already dropped 4 classic albums:Thug Life,Me Against The World,All Eyez On Me & Makaveli...MCs are at their best when they reach the age of 28-30...His flow,lyrics & production skills would have been better if he was still alive today...

You will desagree with that but it's your problem now...
2Pac is so overrated it aint funny (usually by people on this board) his flow was above average but nowhere near the best, his lyrics were average. His stand out point is his emotion, which no rapper can probably match.

^
Tupac is not underrated at all by anyone; he is still regarded as the poster boy of hip hop even nine years after his passing. It's damn near impossible for anyone to say a negative word about 2Pac (even if it's warranted) without causing an overactive uproar from almost everyone. Personally I tend to stray away from mentioning him on this forum because it's obvious people magnify the quality of his work just 'because he's 2Pac - the legend'.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online