The Top 5 Most Overrated rappers in the industry

FlipMo said:
Do you know Nas is not known for his wordplay, punchlines or incredible lyracism. He's known to paint a very vivid picture with his rhymes. Sometimes, he raps out to many details in a song, you can close your eyes and see yourself at that spot. His creativity is undeniable. Nas is probably one of the only artists you haven't seen creeping all over the TV trying to promote clothing lines, under-arm, or cars even. All he's done that has been remotly outta his way was do a great movie like Belly. The man has stayed true to himself and didn't go all over trying to be Mr. Hollywood. Unlike most Mc nowadays. Nas at this moment is Hiphop.

Whoever said Rakim is over-rated... Bitch, I should make you eat 'Follow the Leader' for saying something like that.

Edit: Keep in mind, this is my opinion, so don't be braking my balls now.
To your credit you bring up more meritable points about NaS than any other Gods Son fan I've seen contribute to this thread thus far. You do know NaS modeled for Karl Kani, has his own clothing line and auditioned unsuccessfully for 'Training Day' and a bunch of other films right? The same dude that shys away from publicity allowed cameras into his very personal wedding.

Edit: By the way he's just finished writing an autobiography on his life and a screenplay based on his life. The reason you won't hear about it is because he doesn't hold as much commericial clout as say someone like Em - not because he intends for it to be 'outta the way'.

NaS is not hip hop.

man i wish jerks would lay shit to rest some think nas is great some think he's not.Deal.

The thread is about the rappers we think are overrated not to critize the person for thinking it..anyways to each is own but if you dont like the rappers ppl have to say dont bother coming here cause it happens, you see me flipping out on ppl here? no cause i know they have their reasons for thinking what they think, i see otherwise and life goes on...thats being smart about it, some ppl take this shit too personally.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
cm_millionaire said:
To your credit you bring up more meritable points about NaS than any other Gods Son fan I've seen contribute to this thread thus far. You do know NaS modeled for Karl Kani, has his own clothing line and auditioned unsuccessfully for 'Training Day' and a bunch of other films right? The same dude that shys away from publicity allowed cameras into his very personal wedding.

Edit: By the way he's just finished writing an autobiography on his life and a screenplay based on his life. The reason you won't hear about it is because he doesn't hold as much commericial clout as say someone like Em - not because he intends for it to be 'outta the way'.

NaS is not hip hop.
I know about all that information. Your not telling me anything new. The Karl Kani modeling was long ago if I recall and it was just for a lil extra cash, not because he wanted to act like Mr Hollywood here. I don't have anything against MCs trying to do movies, Pac and many others did it, just depends on the movies. Especially for a great movie like Training day who wouldn't want to be in it?

Cameras for the wedding wasn't his choice. It was actually something Kelis wanted to do, so he gave it to her? What's he gonna say? 'Bitch, stfu, I'm too gangsta'?

I know about the autobiography. I know about the 2 movie scripts he's done and I finally know about the Sekou Story book he's writting. Dude is artistically expanding his horizons.

I agree with the commercial clout though.

Anyways, your opinion is yours, mine is mine. Thank you for respecting my opinion, and I respect yours.

Peace

FlipMo said:
I know about all that information. Your not telling me anything new. The Karl Kani modeling was long ago if I recall and it was just for a lil extra cash, not because he wanted to act like Mr Hollywood here. I don't have anything against MCs trying to do movies, Pac and many others did it, just depends on the movies. Especially for a great movie like Training day who wouldn't want to be in it?

Cameras for the wedding wasn't his choice. It was actually something Kelis wanted to do, so he gave it to her? What's he gonna say? 'Bitch, stfu, I'm too gangsta'?

I know about the autobiography. I know about the 2 movie scripts he's done and I finally know about the Sekou Story book he's writting. Dude is artistically expanding his horizons.

I agree with the commercial clout though.

Anyways, your opinion is yours, mine is mine. Thank you for respecting my opinion, and I respect yours.

Peace
What's the 'Sekou Story Book'? Am I right to think it's based on the dude mentioned on SD?

Aristotle said:
Tupac is overrated, yes. He can put out the wakest shit and people will think it is amazing, take Hit em Up for example, if it was made by anyone else people would be callin it one of the worst diss tracks ever. Tracks good but it aint that tight like everyone thinks it is.All Eyes on Me, heh, dope album but too many half ass tracks and some of the production was wak, but yet again, we got people callin it classic and shit, get the fuck out. So yes people overrate the shit out of his flow, lyrics, metaphors, anything that has to do with being an emcee pretty much. What makes him the greatest is the way he was able to touch your heart, make grown men cry, and be the voice of a culture, a nation, we havn't seen something like that since Marvin Gaye, that is what makes Tupac so damn amazing as an artist, not some punchline or some "real" verse, his heart. So stop getting shit twisted.

1st of all that's your opinion. And we all know the saying about opinons. Second of all, 2Pac was far from an average rapper. 2Pac was Hiphop's most prolific writer, and his strength as a writer wasn't in complexity, it was in depth and versatility. I would argue he's probably the best song writer that Hiphop has seen. It's not all about complex 16s, and that's not the kind of lyricist he was. He was a emcee in the Ice Cube, Scarface mold, neither of whom are complex lyricists either, but still some of the best emcees to bless the mic. An average lyricist doesn't write some of the songs 2Pac wrote.

cm_millionaire said:
Dude, lets put this in prospective. Over half of the material from the archives that has been released since Pac's death has been wack. L2TG is an awful album (Not just because of Pac) yet I still see posts saying it's album of the year; the only time hardcore 2Pac fans ever admit that an album is below par is when they attribute it to poor production or guest appearances.
Like Roaches said recently...people on this board have given 2pac 'holy cow' status.
For the majority, what you say is true. However while Hit 'Em Up may not be among the best "diss" tracks of all time, it's no where near among the worst.

Zero Cool said:
For the majority, what you say is true. However while Hit 'Em Up may not be among the best "diss" tracks of all time, it's no where near among the worst.
If "Hitem Up" is not the best "diss" track of all time,tell me,please,which song is actually the best?

It seems that a lot of people,here,are mistaken themselves...
Rap is a type of music
Hip-Hop is a culture

Saaphir said:
If "Hitem Up" is not the best "diss" track of all time,tell me,please,which song is actually the best?
It's my personal favourite but from a technical point of view (lyricism etc.) it isn't among the higher echelons of diss tracks.

Zero Cool said:
It's my personal favourite but from a technical point of view (lyricism etc.) it isn't among the higher echelons of diss tracks.
A diss track is about "Fuck you & your motherfucking mama",not about being lyrical...
I'm sure that Biggie was pissed off when he first listen to Hitem Up 'cause Pac said in it he fucked his wife...
"Who Shot Ya" was weak diss song Pac probably listened before to sleep as the beat is boring as fuck...

Saaphir said:
A diss track is about "Fuck you & your motherfucking mama",not about being lyrical...
I'm sure that Biggie was pissed off when he first listen to Hitem Up 'cause Pac said in it he fucked his wife...
"Who Shot Ya" was weak diss song Pac probably listened before to sleep as the beat is boring as fuck...
1.who shot ya wasnt a diss so that corrects u *cough*schooled*cough*
2."fuck you and your mama" is a weak insult, i know that for a fact becuz me and my friends play the dozens alot and theres always this one cat that says some shit along the lines of "fuck u bitch, your mothers a hoe", this person gets no laughs and usually gets told to fuck off becuz this insult was wack.
3.a song like Malcom X by Royce Da 5'9, Takeover by Jay Z and Quitter by Eminem are way more lyrical than hit em up and there also more intelligent and witty, this making them better

"So he picks a guitar up and he strings a few notes, he cant rap or sing but he wants to do both, puts an album out that rules for a part of the year, then kid rock and limp bizkit come out from no where, its the start of an era, rock and raps harder this year, no one wants to hear some old fart in a chair"
- Eminem To Everlast, its partly truth, its witty and lyricall.

Finally I read through all 12 pages of this thread, and I've only got one thing to say" cm_millionaire, I have never seen a more arrogant person in my life. You keep saying that you are more enlightened than most about rap music because you listen to it a lot downloading 40 tracks a day, blah blah blah. And you keep assuming that people on this board, or 90% of them anyway, have never heard of MF Doom and these other groups. Well, unless you have been monitioring people's listening habits, you don't know that, and shouldn't assume. You know who you remind me of? When I was in grade 10, there was this kid who had an IQ of 163, and he used to walk around and act like he was smarter than everyone. The thing is, he was smarter than most but because he held it over people's heads, he was hated for it. He wasn't smart enough to avoid getting his ass kicked almost daily though. Stop acting as though your opinions are so superior to the rest of us and let people have their own opinions, whether they are educated ones or not. :thumb:

Devious187 said:
Finally I read through all 12 pages of this thread, and I've only got one thing to say" cm_millionaire, I have never seen a more arrogant person in my life. You keep saying that you are more enlightened than most about rap music because you listen to it a lot downloading 40 tracks a day, blah blah blah. And you keep assuming that people on this board, or 90% of them anyway, have never heard of MF Doom and these other groups. Well, unless you have been monitioring people's listening habits, you don't know that, and shouldn't assume. You know who you remind me of? When I was in grade 10, there was this kid who had an 163 IQ, and he used to walk around and act like he was smarter than everyone. The thing is, he was smarter than most but because he held it over people's heads, he was hated for it. He wasn't smart enough to avoid getting his ass kicked almost daily though. Stop acting as though your opinions are so superior to the rest of us and let people have their own opinions, whether they are educated ones or not. :thumb:
Knowledge :thumb: also i stopped readin cms post after he said "nas aint hip hop"

Nas Is Hip Hop

#1 Nastradamus Is Better Then Any Other Commercial Pop Record
#2 Nas Has 2 Officially Classic Albums (Illmatic, Stillmatic)
#3 Nas A Catalog As Big As Pacs (More Than 200 Songs)
#4 Most Creative (Fetus, Book Of Rhymes, Money Is My Bitch, The Makings Of A Perfect Bitch, Rewind, Last Words, New World, Blaze A 50
#5 Have U Heard Star Wars (Pure Hip Hop Heart)
#6 Ether
#7 No Word Play Who Said That Listen 2
(Ghetto Prisoners, Every Ghetto)The Most Untalked About Nas Song Probably His Best

well whoever says it are most def pac fans, everyone knows big was amazing even pac fans but they dont want to admit it because of their dickriding

Hate to have to disagree with yuo PaulyPac, but Biggie - like most - is overrated by some.

I agree the man had amazing ability but he wasn't as good as some people would have you believe.

I mean the depth of his catalogue already puts a question beside his 'legendary' status IMO.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.