Hip Hop vs. Rap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that, although it was never intended to be, Changes is a pop song for the reason Pittsey just said.

I think what Shot 21 hates is songs which are made with the premeditated notion of it being a pop song, ie. Just Lose It, which of course Changes was not.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
CalcuoCuchicheo said:
I think that, although it was never intended to be, Changes is a pop song for the reason Pittsey just said.

I think what Shot 21 hates is songs which are made with the premeditated notion of it being a pop song, ie. Just Lose It, which of course Changes was not.

Truth. Although it was in the end aimed at a pop audience, that's why they changed the hook. Pac never intended it to be pop, or probably to be released. But Amaru made it a pop song, that was their intention.

Yep, I was going to include in my post what you just said about 'Pac's intentions and Amaru's intentions but I figured everyone would get it.

Then again Jason & MAKaveli 10 have posted here....

jason_g_718 said:
Am I the only one who thinks there's a difference between hip hop and rap? I know, or at least I think that most people just see the two as being synonyms of each other, but I don't see it that way. For example, from my perspective, here's the difference between rap and hip hop:

Hip Hop music is songs such as:
Changes, Country Grammar, In Da Club, Business, Holidae Inn

Rap music is songs such as:
Blasphemy, Soldier, Black Gloves, What's My Name?

To me hip hop is representative of songs that have more of a lighter attitude about them, or songs that have a pop-like sound. For example, Business is a hip hop song, but I don't see it being pop. However, Changes is also a hip hop song to me, but it is DEFINATELY pop.

And obviously by the things I typed above, a rapper can make both hip hop AND rap songs.

Am I the only one that views this from this perspective?
I agree with you.

Shot 21 said:
I dont see your point of view at all. Especially the part about Changes sounding like a pop song. That song is deep as fuck. I dont think there is rap music. The music genre is hip hop. And rap is what they do. Its just like the music genre is R&B. And singing is what they do. There isnt a sing genre. Rap and sing as different from hip hop and R&B.
Seems to me like you people blasting me can't even agree on definitions.

One person say "hip hop is the culture, and rap music is apart of that culture."

Now you say "hip hop is the music and rapping is what they do".

Y'all blast me for "not knowing anything", but y'all can't even agree on your own definitions.

Man...more and more laughs by the day from some of you people.

Shot 21 said:
How can Changes be a pop song when it actually has feeling and emotion. Pop is the fakest industry out copying other songs word 4 word. Changes is deep cuz its talkin bout poverty and racism. Real life struggles. Not no fucking song about Macdonalds, Pizza Hut and KFC!
Pop music relates to the sound, not the lyrics.

Changes is as pop as you can possibly fucking get.

jason_g_718 said:
Seems to me like you people blasting me can't even agree on definitions.

One person say "hip hop is the culture, and rap music is apart of that culture."

Now you say "hip hop is the music and rapping is what they do".

Y'all blast me for "not knowing anything", but y'all can't even agree on your own definitions.

Man...more and more laughs by the day from some of you people.
wtf are u judgin us for ? cuz this dude is talking shit u take it as truth? man this proves what kind of dumbass u really are...hiphop is the culture and rap is one of the elements...emceeing...like u got dejaying breaking and doing graff...u dumbass read a fuckin book and come back jason...dumbass...ur a fuckin disgrace to all hiphop fans

Hurts said:
wtf are u judgin us for ? cuz this dude is talking shit u take it as truth? man this proves what kind of dumbass u really are...hiphop is the culture and rap is one of the elements...emceeing...like u got dejaying breaking and doing graff...u dumbass read a fuckin book and come back jason...dumbass...ur a fuckin disgrace to all hiphop fans
Another classic Hurts post :rolleyes:

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
It's true. Hip-hop is the culture. Rap is just a part of hip-hop there are many parts. Some which aren't a part of the music side.
The definitions have got a bit lost down the line, especially with the movement of the music to mainstream, and the mis-reporting by the press. But the truth is what Hurts says, even if he doesn't say it vey nicely.

Another true Hurts post. For real.

BTW, Zero Cool you agreed with Jason proving that you know jackshit so, until you've got a bit more educated on the subject, don't even try to take the piss out of, or look down on, anyone.

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
Another true Hurts post. For real.

BTW, Zero Cool you agreed with Jason proving that you know jackshit so, until you've got a bit more educated on the subject, don't even try to take the piss out of, or look down on, anyone.
Are you trying to lay down the law to me or something? I don't often agree with Jason but on this I think he has a discernable point, in many people's mind including mine Hip-Hop and Rap have their particular distingushing features, to say they do not or "Rap is simply a part of Hip-Hop" is not looking at the situation objectively.

N.B. "Another true Hurts post. For real." That one quote says it all really.

jason_g_718 said:
Am I the only one who thinks there's a difference between hip hop and rap? I know, or at least I think that most people just see the two as being synonyms of each other, but I don't see it that way. For example, from my perspective, here's the difference between rap and hip hop:

Hip Hop music is songs such as:
Changes, Country Grammar, In Da Club, Business, Holidae Inn

Rap music is songs such as:
Blasphemy, Soldier, Black Gloves, What's My Name?

To me hip hop is representative of songs that have more of a lighter attitude about them, or songs that have a pop-like sound. For example, Business is a hip hop song, but I don't see it being pop. However, Changes is also a hip hop song to me, but it is DEFINATELY pop.

And obviously by the things I typed above, a rapper can make both hip hop AND rap songs.

Am I the only one that views this from this perspective?
i see wot u mean... but its all as one... but split into 2 kinda sections

But, 'rap is simple a part of hip-hop', is the truth - which you seem to have a real problem with.

As for your attempt at wit, that's about as funny as dropping the soap in the pen. surrounded by guys with names like Bubba Joe who're just desperate for a 'cuddle'...... then again you might like that

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
But, 'rap is simple a part of hip-hop', is the truth - which you seem to have a real problem with.

As for your sarcasm, that's about as witty as dropping the soap in the pen. surrounded by guys with names like Bubba Joe who're just desperate for a 'cuddle'...... then again you might like that
Witty yet tripe. I have no problem with that, what I (and I believe Jason) is saying is there are "discernable differences between the two" are you unable to comprehend me?

Pittsey said:
As you lot still don't seem to get it. They are not 2 genres of music!!! Hip-hop isn't music. Here's a book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/104-1679777-2299927?v=glance&s=books

If this isn't any good just go on any retail site and search for a history of hip-hop, or try google.

yeah ive read parts of this one ( had to return it to the library)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...gy_img_2/103-2134579-9156602?v=glance&s=books

its really nice to read and im thinkin of gettin it back lol....its really nice to read i recommend to ne 1...who is interested in hiphop..or doesnt know shit about it yet but is willing to get educated...

This man.. Nelson George discribes how he felt hiphop was like at the time( when it started) and what he has seen....if ur like me young and interested in hiphop you read this book to catch up...

I, worryingly enough, do understand your stupidity but that doesn't take away from the fact that you're wrong.

Fuck it. Buy the fucking book.

Put your money to good use, otherwise you might end up purchasing country music or some shit thinking that it's some other genre of music.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.