Hip-Hop heads opinion on ICP?

jason_g_718 said:
Eminem is white in a black mans world.
you got to be kidding me, even if you meant rap. 75% of rap cd's are bought by white suburban tennagers.

Scoffed at for years, clowned because "white guys can't rap", yet he was able to catch a deal before and over people like Royce and Esham?
because we all know if you have a deal you must be a good rapper i mean look at nelly and chingy
What? You gonna tell me Dre is with the whiteman now? Dre has given in to the "man" and is helping him run the world?
no dre wants to make money
So, I ask you, if Esham and Royce, both of whom are black and therefore automatically more accepted into rap music, are so fucking great, why didn't they catch commercial success before a white kid?
because they didnt want to make a music video making them look like a clown?

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
Although I recognize this wasn't directed at me, I just thought I'd say that the Beastie Boys weren't taken that seriously at first anyway but did have the backing of Def Jam (1st album) and it's roster (Run DMC etc) and the endorsement Eminem got from Dre is what birthed his initial acceptance and success
Well, I'm glad you actually told me that. See, I was a kid in the 80's. Grew up and was raised in a white, middle class suburb. I was LITERALLY the only kid in my neighborhood that listened to rap music. So, until the 90's hit, actuall, it was about 92 or 93, when I was starting to drive that I FINALLY was able to get some perspectives of rap music from outside my own neighborhood.

Either way, though, the point I made was understood and still stands.

Hurts said:
i just tried saying ... saying eminem is in a world <<< controlled by black people is too much...thats not true...and wtf is MLK?

Damn ur stupid but hey i already knew that...in the other thread ur pointing out my age...and now ur askin me if being refused the right to vote...COURSE I AM DUMBASS...im 17....
You didn't understand a fucking thing I typed, and you're calling me stupid?

I didn't ask you if you could vote moron, I asked if black people are still refused the right to vote.

And Jesus Christ, you didn't know what MLK stands for?

When did you drop out of school? First grade?

I seriously hope you aren't black if you're asking what MLK is.

haunted said:
2pac: Biological father abanonded him early in life
Eminem: Biological father abandoned him early in life.
Thats about 75% of black people in the ghetto, good try though

Eminem is not black...good try though.

2pac: Raised by a single mother addicted to crack
Eminem: Raised by a single mother addicted to pills.
also very common in the hood

You're using excuses.

2pac: moved around a lot as a kid.
Eminem: Moved around a lot as a kid.
pretty fucking common in the ghetto

Well, look, another thing they both had in common, they both grew up in various ghettos.

2pac: Admitted that he was bullied a lot in his childhood years for being "light skinned" and a "pretty boy"
Eminem: Admitted that he was bullied a lot in his childhood years for being much smaller than the other kids.
ill give you that one
2pac: Used his fame to put his "lil homies" up in the rap game (first Thug Life, then Outlawz)
Eminem: Used his fame to put D12 on.
a lot of rappers do that, and most of their lil homies suck

Look I pointed out things they have in common, I didn't say nobody else shared those things. You're nitpicking.

2pac: Became the best selling rap artist of all time and was the top rapper in the country, probably the world from 94-96/97
Emime: Has become the THIRD best selling rap artist of all time and is at the top rapper in the country AND the world right now, and has been for the past 2 years.
the only differences, eminem is selling his records while he is alive
Uh..how did 2pac not sell records while he was alive?

Eminem is white in a black mans world.
you got to be kidding me, even if you meant rap. 75% of rap cd's are bought by white suburban tennagers.

Scoffed at for years, clowned because "white guys can't rap", yet he was able to catch a deal before and over people like Royce and Esham?
because we all know if you have a deal you must be a good rapper i mean look at nelly and chingy
What? You gonna tell me Dre is with the whiteman now? Dre has given in to the "man" and is helping him run the world?
no dre wants to make money
So, I ask you, if Esham and Royce, both of whom are black and therefore automatically more accepted into rap music, are so fucking great, why didn't they catch commercial success before a white kid?
because they didnt want to make a music video making them look like a clown?

Man..we got some real fucking idiots in here.

1. I said Eminem is a white man in a black world, referring to rap. Yes, most kids who buy rap are white BUT MOST OF THE PERFORMERS ARE BLACK. Jesus Christ, think before you type.

2. You prove my point further. If Esham and Royce (Royce I actually like though, just think Em's better) are so fucking spectacular, and it's obvious you don't need talent to sell records, that makes the question of why Esham and Royce aren't bigger even more important.

3. And as for your comment about "music videos" i have no clue what you're talking about.

Hurts said:
damn he wasnt even seen as the greatest until he died...he sold more after he died einstein
Uh..maybe where you live, but not in Detroit. 'Round here, between 93-95 the question was "who's the biggest rap star in the world? Snoop Doggy Dogg or 2pac?".

jason_g_718 said:
Uh..maybe where you live, but not in Detroit. 'Round here, between 93-95 the question was "who's the biggest rap star in the world? Snoop Doggy Dogg or 2pac?".
in that quiet white suburban neighbourhood u lived in ?

2. You prove my point further. If Esham and Royce (Royce I actually like though, just think Em's better) are so fucking spectacular, and it's obvious you don't need talent to sell records, that makes the question of why Esham and Royce aren't bigger even more important
OMG ARE YOU REALLY THAT STUPID?

esham and royce both arent signed to a major label as eminem chingy and nelly are..

didnt u just tell sum 1 to think be he posts?...

jason_g_718 said:
I don't buy that for a second. If that was the case, then why did he have such a hard time getting signed? Why aren't there 20 white famous rappers just like Eminem if Em was signed cuz he's white? Especially after the Vanilla Ice fiasco.

Eminem was picked up MOSTLY because of his talent. I won't say being white had nothing to do with it, because obviously it did, but not to the degree that a lot of people in here like to pretend.
He had a hard time getting signed because of the Vanilla Ice fiasco you mention and so the only way he could get picked up is if he had talent - which I agree he does. What I was saying was that the buying public accepted him for different reasons ie. white & endorsed by Dre

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
He had a hard time getting signed because of the Vanilla Ice fiasco you mention and so the only way he could get picked up is if he had talent - which I agree he does. What I was saying was that the buying public accepted him for different reasons ie. white & endorsed by Dre
you just reminded me of this...

I thought i read somewhere dr.dre was surprised eminem was white..he didnt know when he listened to him...or something..can ne 1 help me with this is it true?...cuz if so that would pretty much kill jasons...comment in this or the thread...^

Hurts said:
in that quiet white suburban neighbourhood u lived in ?

OMG ARE YOU REALLY THAT STUPID?

esham and royce both arent signed to a major label as eminem chingy and nelly are..

didnt u just tell sum 1 to think be he posts?...
Wow, you really don't read things, do you? You read, but you read what you want to see.

First of all, are you going to hold where I grew up against me? I mean, is it my fault that I was born into a good family who wasn't poor and had money to live in the burbs? Is that my fault?

My dad grew up right in the center of fucking detroit. The Ford plant that Em works at in 8 Mile...my dad grew up literally right around the corner from that plant. What, you think just cuz a dude grows up in the burbs that means he never goes anywhere?

I lived half my life in the actual city of Detroit.

And to your second comment, Jesus, how ignorant are you?

Someone else said that you don't need talent to be signed. I agree with that. So, if Esham and Royce are so fucking excellent and so much better than Eminem, then why haven't they been signed to a major label yet? Jesus Christ dude.

Hurts said:

I thought i read somewhere dr.dre was surprised eminem was white..he didnt know when he listened to him...or something..can ne 1 help me with this is it true?...cuz if so that would pretty much kill jasons...comment in this or the thread...^
Yep, supposedly Dre, upon hearing Eminem, thought he was black naturally assuming in light of the previous standard of white rapper that a white rapper couldn't spit like that

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
Contradiction?
Uh...how were those comments contradictions? I said I was the only kid IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD that listened to rap. I then said that the majority of the people into rap around here at that time considered Snop and Pac vying for the "top rapper" status.

What, you think I never left my neighborhood or something?

Damn...lot of y'all aren't thinking too much today before you post.

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
Endorsed by Dre, I'll agree. Being white, to an extent, but I don't think as much of an extent as people think.

Hurts said:

Yes, that's true.

And what the fuck are you talking about "that would kill jasons comments in this thread"?

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
Yep, supposedly Dre, upon hearing Eminem, thought he was black naturally assuming in light of the previous standard of white rapper that a white rapper couldn't spit like that
And knowing how Em's voice sounded back then, I have NEVER bought Dre's claim that he couldn't tell Em was white.

I don't mean to be stereotypical here, but honestly, 95% of the time you can tell a black person or a white person just by hearing their voice.

jason_g_718 said:
Uh...how were those comments contradictions? I said I was the only kid IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD that listened to rap. I then said that the majority of the people into rap around here at that time considered Snop and Pac vying for the "top rapper" status.

What, you think I never left my neighborhood or something?

Damn...lot of y'all aren't thinking too much today before you post.
I assumed by 'round here' you meant your neighbourhood where you were 'literally' the only kid listening to rap. If you meant further afield then I am in the wrong - in which case, I apologise for the distress I appear to have caused you.

jason_g_718 said:
And knowing how Em's voice sounded back then, I have NEVER bought Dre's claim that he couldn't tell Em was white.

I don't mean to be stereotypical here, but honestly, 95% of the time you can tell a black person or a white person just by hearing their voice.
I agree that quite a lot of the time ethnicity can be heard in someone's voice but there is still a chance that Eminem's ability immediately wrote off, in Dre's eyes, the chance of the rapper he was listening to being white

jason_g_718 said:

You don't have to believe it, but it's true. Before i knew Eminem was white i thought he was black. I was suprised he was white too. The thing is, that whole "95% of the time.." bullshit is just, well, bullshit.

Stop twisting shit around jason. The fact remains that Dre didnt know. Dont try to discredit that by pulling some bullshit statistic out of your ass to show why you dont believe it. It doesnt make sense anyway.
Why doesnt it make sense? Ill show you:

1) Hip hop is dominated by black artists - not white. So it's inevitable that Dre is going to assume Em was black and not white. When hearing Em at the rap olympics he's not going to think "oh he must be white!"
2) The whole 'voices' statistic you brought up is complete and utter bullshit. Are you telling me Eazy-E could've been mistaken for a white person? Eazy-E and Em both have that whiney kind of voice dont they? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
3)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.