Ay Hurts...Illmatic

jason 'thinks' he's been listening to "hip-hop" for whatever insane amount yet he knows jack shit. he's been listening to bullshit for the past years. someone please school his ass

jason_g_718 said:
All "commercial rap" means is that you've made it and are not underground anymore. Also, what i like has nothing to do with what form of music it is, or what style. .
dont you get tired of being wrong. you cant acknowledge the difffece cause you only listen to one side, that why when you pick up a REAl hip hop album you think its boring. like Big l for example> or nas> or the greatest hip hop album im hip hop

Raul

I bought Illmatic in 1998 and it didn't sound dated at all to me.
How can someone name the excellent production by heavy weights like Primo and Pete Rock BORING? That's beyond my understanding. Illmatic has dope ass muthafuckin production.
And Nas doesn't put me to sleep, he paints a story right in front of my eyes with his voice and words.

Illmatic shits over every Tupac album.
Why? Because Pac never had a flawless album, except for Me Against The World, which is almost as good as Illmatic.

Raul

By the way jason, when a hundred of people tell you you don't know shit about hiphop, you should either 1) believe them or 2) admit you just don't have no taste

Nah, sorry, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and you should listen to what you like, but you just ain't no hiphop fan. Because I don't know a hiphop fan who doesn't like Illmatic, or all the other artists you named. You're just more like a pop fan than a hiphop fan, and there ain't no problem with that.

Chronic

jason_g_718 said:
There is nothing wrong with "commercial" rap. The man we are all here to honor, Mr. Tupac Shakur, was and is commercial rap. All "commercial rap" means is that you've made it and are not underground anymore. Also, what i like has nothing to do with what form of music it is, or what style. I like whatever sounds good to me. I also said in my post that Illmatic grew on me and I now like the album very much. I'm not so sure that I personally consider it a classic yet, but we'll see. However, provide what I asked for at the start of this post and I will acknowledge Illmatic as a "factual" classic.

:rolleyes: I like you usually, man and respect you a lot. But this comment is pure bullshit. "Ohhh...just listen till you like it".

Either way, the album to me is pretty good now, I just had to get used to the EC sound, as I prefer WC.
I don't think you read my post well enough.
I never said there was anything wrong with commercial rap.
You listed the artists you listen to now, which shows you're more leniant to commercial rap artists than underground acts. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying that most people that share your music taste, won't appreciate Illmatic.

"Tell me where it states in what documents that Illmatic is a certified classic."

When did I say it was a certified classic? I said it's one of the best albums in rap.

Yo chronic keep trying cuz he might listen to you knowing you got power on this board...everybody else tried telling him shit bout hip hop but he didint want to listen....

Illmatic is a little overrated to me, but that shit is brilliant. i listen to it all the time. i dont understand how anyone cannot like that album. every song is a banger. it shits on eminem and every aftermath record. it pretty much shits on every album except for MATW. You should take a long hard stare in the mirror and proceed to ask yourself if you deserve to own any rap cd period. while youre at it,ask yourself if you even deserve to live. haha

Casey

Staff member
/\lmao.

so true. Illmatic - easily one of the best albums ever, of any genre. completely flawless and never gets old.

jason rly needs to start listenin to some legendary hiphop albums.

oh, and

jason_g_718 said:
I'm a fan of the MMLP and TES Eminem. Lose Yourself, We As Americans, Luv U More, Bully, Monkey See, Monkey Do.
the marshall mathers LP and the eminem show are the 2 albums you mentioned. yet none of the songs you mentioned are on either of those albums.

are you just makin random stuff up? lol. and if you wanna hear em at his best, go listen to "infinite"

Chronic said:
I don't think you read my post well enough.
I never said there was anything wrong with commercial rap.
You listed the artists you listen to now, which shows you're more leniant to commercial rap artists than underground acts. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying that most people that share your music taste, won't appreciate Illmatic.

"Tell me where it states in what documents that Illmatic is a certified classic."

When did I say it was a certified classic? I said it's one of the best albums in rap.
Well, again, whether an artist is underground or mainstream doesn't matter to me. It's all in how the music sounds. I listen to a lot of underground artists from Detroit that I never mention because they don't have an regognition outside of Detroit.

Shit, I went to the battle that Proof and Bizarre of D12 hosted last Thursday night at The Shelter in Detroit and bought an underground CD of a guy that was in the battle that night (he took 4th place).

As for Illmatic, didn't you say something to the affect of "that album is a classic and that's a fact"?

you don't think mentionin these artists would be aight..I mean if they cool why not post up some tracks to get em THAT recognition they obviously need so much..

Raul said:
By the way jason, when a hundred of people tell you you don't know shit about hiphop, you should either 1) believe them or 2) admit you just don't have no taste

Nah, sorry, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and you should listen to what you like, but you just ain't no hiphop fan. Because I don't know a hiphop fan who doesn't like Illmatic, or all the other artists you named. You're just more like a pop fan than a hiphop fan, and there ain't no problem with that.
I keep going back to something Bank Robber said a while ago. I saw a post by him telling Pittsey I think it was that "more than half of this board is filled with idiots".

So when I see one of the respected members of this board saying that, no, I don't take too much of what any of you say seriously.

I have a few members on this board I respect highly (Pittsey, Robber, Chronic, Hostile Apostle), if any of them suggest something to me, I take their word. I may disagree with them, but I put actual weight into the things they say.

Hurts said:
Than i dunno what the hell is wrong with you..lifestyles is THE most perfect example you can get of an album with bad beats and great lyrics..
You people can't even make up your own fucking minds.

The same people (you) telling me how "illmatic is the best album ever" come back 2 days later and suddenly "big l's album is the best ever."

I just laugh at you 15 and 16 year olds comin' on here thinking "you ain't heard this? You don't know shit".

Get off your own cocks already. Many of you have turned sucking your own dick into an artform.

Hurts said:
you don't think mentionin these artists would be aight..I mean if they cool why not post up some tracks to get em THAT recognition they obviously need so much..
Because not everyone has methods to post up links, man.

I couldn't even fuckin post my own MP3 in here of MY OWN FUCKING MUSIC....Dave D had to do it.

BTW...all of you people who act like "undergrouns is better" are hilarious.

NO...seriously...you make me laugh. "oohhhhh, it's underground so you know it's good". :rolleyes:

The music and artist makes the song good, not being "mainstream" or "underground".

jason_g_718 said:
You people can't even make up your own fucking minds.

The same people (you) telling me how "illmatic is the best album ever" come back 2 days later and suddenly "big l's album is the best ever."

I just laugh at you 15 and 16 year olds comin' on here thinking "you ain't heard this? You don't know shit".

Get off your own cocks already. Many of you have turned sucking your own dick into an artform.
Look where did i say big L's album is the best album ever? I said it was the perfect example of an album full of shitty beats and nice lyrics...

jason_g_718 said:
Because not everyone has methods to post up links, man.

I couldn't even fuckin post my own MP3 in here of MY OWN FUCKING MUSIC....Dave D had to do it.

UR TELLIN ME NONE OF THESE RAPPERS HAVE A FUCKIN SOUNDCLICK OR SUMTHIN?!!!!!!!!!!!111

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.