Ay Hurts...Illmatic

Illmatic being one of the best albums in rap is a fact.
Tell me where it states in what documents that Illmatic is a certified classic. And I'm being dead serious. Do that, show me the physical proof other than just sayin because people say it's one and I'll recognize it as one.

If you think the album is boring and the beats are bad, that's because of your personal taste.
I understand this. I'd like you to show me the post in which you thought I didn't understand it was just my opinion.

No disrespect but most people who are more leniant to commercial rap (I don't mean as far as J-Kwon) than shit like Black Moon, will find that album boring.
There is nothing wrong with "commercial" rap. The man we are all here to honor, Mr. Tupac Shakur, was and is commercial rap. All "commercial rap" means is that you've made it and are not underground anymore. Also, what i like has nothing to do with what form of music it is, or what style. I like whatever sounds good to me. I also said in my post that Illmatic grew on me and I now like the album very much. I'm not so sure that I personally consider it a classic yet, but we'll see. However, provide what I asked for at the start of this post and I will acknowledge Illmatic as a "factual" classic.

I suggest you keep listening to that album till you see just how good it is.
:rolleyes: I like you usually, man and respect you a lot. But this comment is pure bullshit. "Ohhh...just listen till you like it".

Either way, the album to me is pretty good now, I just had to get used to the EC sound, as I prefer WC.

ARon

jason_g_718 said:
LOL @ "AZ is one of the best". I'm not laughing because I disagree or anything, merely becasue I swear it feels like everytime I say I haven't listened to someone before someone makes a post in the thread saying "he is one of the best".

I've known of AZ for a long ass time, just never cared to check out his music.

Another thing, man, I've typed out the list of rappers I've listened to over the past 20 some years like 5 times.

In the 80's I was listening to Fat Boys (first rappers I ever listened to), Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Fresh Prince, NWA in the late 80's, Young MC, MC Hammer.

In the 90's it was: NWA, Mc Hammer, Young MC, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, 2pac, Warren G, Tha Dogg Pound, Daz solo (Retaliation, Revenge & Get Back), Kurupt solo, Westside Connection (first album only), Salt n Pepa, TLC, Da Brat, Jermaine Dupri, Tha Eastsidaz

Now I listen to: 2pac, Eminem, old Snoop, Westside Connection (still the first, second was terrible), Obie Trice, Young Buck, Papa Graz (my own shit), Warren G, Ice Cube, and a few others, some Method and Red.
Like i said, pop fans will never get any respect.

Hurts said:
ha a thread dedicated to me...yet he still continues to make an ass out of himself..told yall i didnt have to do shit :D:D:D:D
Not dedicated to you at all. Directed at you.

And the only one making an ass out of themselves...well, actually there's a lot, but you're at the top of the list.

Loved seeing you get clowned like crazy today in the Life section.

:D Asking you to leave the board and shit and calling you an idiot.

Illmatic is overrated like a motherfucker. It's a good album yes but not the GOAT.
:thumb: Lots of people need to learn the difference between fact and opinion.

As for Game shit was straight.
I see so many people in here saying this. I don't get it. I don't know if y'all realize you're settling for less, or what but, I just don't get.

Game's got good beats, but his lyrics are lacking bigtime and on half the record he isn't even flowing, he's fucking talking.

Vaudeville said:
damn, no way someone cannot appreciate Illmatic
Do you read?

I just said in like 5 posts I like the album. I in no way consider it a classic myself, but have you ever listened to an album and known after a day it was a "classic"?

I said I like the fuckin' album now.

And man...I'm laughin' at some of y'all mofo's. Some of you sound like Illmatic is the second coming of Christ or some bullshit.

Some of y'all are acting like this CD is the holy grail of rap music. It ain't that great. I can name over 5 albums off the top of my head that I think are better than Illmatic. Of course, that's nothing other than my personal opinion, but just sayin'...

jason_g_718 said:
Do you read?

I just said in like 5 posts I like the album. I in no way consider it a classic myself, but have you ever listened to an album and known after a day it was a "classic"?

I said I like the fuckin' album now.
i wasn't refering to you i mean it in general, good thing you like it...

ARon

Cus you are a pop fan, you know nothing about shit. Look at that list you made, thats like everything MTV was playing at the time, or whatever was on the radio. Or whatever was popular on the westcoast at the time. Im tired of people trying to say this guy is good, well i dont like this, its not this, when they have never heard shit.
How the fuck are you gonna say you can't consider Illmatic classic when you just heard it yesterday. And then your gonna compare it too mainly all of the Tupac albums and MMLP, are you serious. Dont ever say something isnt this when you havnt heard shit. Claimin you been a rap fan for 20 years and you never picked up illmatic, never even listened to AZ, get the fuck out of here. Your just another Tupac fan who picked up his greatest hits and fell in love, not knowing shit about rap or the culture its a part of. 20 years and your still blind.

VENOMOUS

On Probation: Please report any break in the guide
you know whats funny eminem bit from illmatic not its lyrics persay, but nas flow wise and it sounded like he was trying to make the beats sound similar till illmatic.Im talking bout infinite.Ill be damn infinite influenced eminem like a motherfukka.

Aristotle said:
Cus you are a pop fan, you know nothing about shit. Look at that list you made, thats like everything MTV was playing at the time, or whatever was on the radio. Or whatever was popular on the westcoast at the time. Im tired of people trying to say this guy is good, well i dont like this, its not this, when they have never heard shit.
How the fuck are you gonna say you can't consider Illmatic classic when you just heard it yesterday. And then your gonna compare it too mainly all of the Tupac albums and MMLP, are you serious. Dont ever say something isnt this when you havnt heard shit. Claimin you been a rap fan for 20 years and you never picked up illmatic, never even listened to AZ, get the fuck out of here. Your just another Tupac fan who picked up his greatest hits and fell in love, not knowing shit about rap or the culture its a part of. 20 years and your still blind.
You know what, I don't really go off on people ever in here and usually try to stay as nice as possible but fuck you, man, seriously.

I'm not a rap fan and don't know what the fuck I'm talking about because I just started liking Nas? Or because I have never felt the urge to listen to AZ? Fuck you. You go to any record store around and you have almost an endless fucking list of rappers who have albums out. I know a guy that owns a record store 15 minutes from my house and when I went in there to buy Illmatic he told me that at his last inventory check he records from over 75 different rappers in his store, both mainstream and underground. Do you realize how many fucking artists are out there? I see an artist, if they don't appeal to me visually, or if I see them in an interview and they come off bad, or if I listen to a single of theirs and I think it's terrible, I ain't gonna give that artist a second chance right off the bat. There's so many fucking artists and so little time.

Oh no, I like 2pac and Eminem and I've never listened to AZ. Doesn't matter that I was listening to the Fat Boys when they and other acts were creating the rap genre and laying down the pavement for people like Dre, NWA, Snoop Dogg, 2pac, and every other artist. I have listened to rap music all my fucking life and because you don't like my choices in music that gives you no fucking right whatsoever to tell me how much of a "fake" or "real" fan I am.

Oh my fucking God! Tupac was on MTV. What a crime. That is so selling out. I mean, to become popular enough to be on TV and promote your records, that is selling out big time.

Any fucking artist that you can name yourself would be on MTV just as much if given the opportunity and chance for exposure. Anyone fucking would.

VENOMOUS

On Probation: Please report any break in the guide
jason_g_718 said:
How does listening to 2pac or any of the artists I listed considered "pop"?

I mean, songs like Just Lose it aside, Eminem is no more pop than 2pac was.
they both were pop but em is more pop because is white.And all those artist

VENOMOUS said:
you know whats funny eminem bit from illmatic not its lyrics persay, but nas flow wise and it sounded like he was trying to make the beats sound similar till illmatic.Im talking bout infinite.Ill be damn infinite influenced eminem like a motherfukka.
Never have heard Infinite. I'm a fan of the MMLP and TES Eminem. Lose Yourself, We As Americans, Luv U More, Bully, Monkey See, Monkey Do.

Encore was a huge disappointment. Tracks 2-8 are awesome then 15, 16 and 20. Any other number is a waste shit.

Rain Man was such a let down because judging by the title I thought I was gonna love it. I thought he was going to come with some sort of super smooth tongue twisting rhyme scheme, and alas, a great beat is used for waste.

VENOMOUS said:
they both were pop but em is more pop because is white.And all those artist
See, the problem is though, 2pac is the technical definition of "pop" because it's short for "popular" (duh!) and that's definately not a bad thing.

However, "pop" for the past at least 15 years or so has referred to the bubble gum bullshit like Justin Timberlake, Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, J-Lo and so forth. Pac is DEFINATELY NOT that.

So, anyway, the way I see it is that 2pac and Eminem are the same thing that Mack 10 is, Talib Kweli is or Nas is. They're rappers. Rappers who have made some pop songs.

ARon

You missed the whole point of that, DONT JUDGE RAP WHEN YOU HAVN'T HEARD EVEN HALF OF IT. Why do you think so many mother fuckers laugh when Rolling Stone Magazine calls Eminem the greatest rapper ever, cus they dont know shit about RAP. And all that shit just proved that my original comment "Pop fans get no respect" is true. Cus your a pop fan who gets no respect from no one on this board cus, as we can see, you dont know shit. And yes any rapper wants fame and glory, but most wont sell out, and yes, their are the few who get the fame off of their real music, like Tupac for example.......
Maybe, lets say, 80% of the rappers we see on MTV or in the limelight "dumb down" their music to sell. So would you consider yourself and avid rap lover, a knowledgable fan of rap if all you have listened to in 20 years of listening is the "stupid" rap, NO. Sorry to take it all out on you, but your like at the forefront of it. We got all these kids on this board who dont know shit. "Eminem is the best behind Tupac, Cus tupac is the greatest, and fuck mobb deep and fuck biggie. Tupac is the best in everything about rap." And then you ask them who Kool G Rap or Rakim is and they're like who? See what im sayin. I mean i repsect opinions but stupid people shouldnt have an opinion in my opinion. heh. Anyways study up before you try to disregard anything as being great, or try to say something is great. And be quiet about all theses artists out there, You've been lsitening to rap for 20 years, im pretty damn sure that number narrows down year after year. Or is it cus you only choose what is cool at the time? who knows, but yes, pop fans will never ever get respect. and why? Cus their opinions are looked at like a joke, thats why we have "heads" in rap, knowledgable people in the art who can say they have heard all or most of it and their opinions get respected.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.