And MTV's Greatest MC of All Time Is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay-Z is not the greatest MC of all time. That is complete bullshit who the hell were the braintrust? 10-6 was looking pretty good, Nas at 5 and Rakim at 4 was iffy I would have had Rakim higher.

ARon

MTV isn't gay, they picked him cus he was everything they thought hte best rapper should be, we all have our different things we look for. I've been readin a lot of other people's list and they aren't taht bad at all, some crazy ones but some people got heads on their shoulders.

As far as the list I submitted here it is.

10. Jay-Z - He has put in his work, made great and mediocore albums, his impact solidifies his spot.
9. Q-Tip(ATCQ) - Kanye and that bunch would be nothing if it wasn't for them. Can they kick it, yes they can.
8. Slick Rick - Greatest story teller, the ruler.
7. KRS-One - He started what sells today, BDP, represents Hip-Hop like no other.
6. Kool G Rap - Pay your respect, the most underrated ever. People act like he never existed.
5. Big Daddy Kane - The fact he can still and did do the splits at VH1's Hip-Honor's Awards cements his spot.
4. Tupac - Most versatile artist ever.
3. Nas - "That buck that bought a bottle could of struck the lotto", enough said.
2. Notorious B.I.G - Biggie Smalls is the wickedest.
1. Rakim - There is a reason they call him God.

Added little bullshit things cus everyone else did it so I was like why not, now that is how i feel, agree? Probably not. I could change a lot of them though, this is how I feel at this moment I guess.

I know a couple of friends from my Uni who would call you all, drug addicts on PCP for even insinuating the idea that Tupac is the number one rapper of all time. This #1 Jay Z thing is simply going to add fuel to the fire that is, to them.. Jay Z is better than Tupac and the rest of the list combined.. lol so basically, FUCK YOU MTV for doing that

I'm lookin' at the reponses that the "fans" are giving and basically whether they agree or not on Jay Z being #1.. most think Tupac shouldn't even be on the list lol let alone be #2.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Tupac should always be Number 1. He achieved more in his short time than any other rapper. Look at how many rappers he has inspired. Look how many records he sold when hip-hop was no where near as global as it is now. Look at his work rate. Look at how many real fans he has. People who get upset when he isn't recognised. How many other rappers have fans who actually love him?

Rakim and Biggie may be technically bigger. But how can Biggie be number 1 with only 2 albums released and 1 of them was only 3/5. Rakim has been around for years, and although he is an amazing lyricist and a pioneer, does he really deserve top spot?

I will always put 2pac as the greatest of all time. Just because of the quality of his work, his intelligence and they way he touched people. He may not be my favourite rapper, but he is still my GOAT.

I think people over rate rappers like Nas to componsate for the fact the mainstream under rates them. They're good. But better than Pac??? Why are you here and not on a Nas/Rakim board. As this started with 2pac and most of you have been here before it was Streethop. We all get bored of Pac. But if you heard "So Many Tears" for the first time today what would you think.

Shot 21

Pittsey said:
Tupac should always be Number 1. He achieved more in his short time than any other rapper. Look at how many rappers he has inspired. Look how many records he sold when hip-hop was no where near as global as it is now. Look at his work rate. Look at how many real fans he has. People who get upset when he isn't recognised. How many other rappers have fans who actually love him?

Rakim and Biggie may be technically bigger. But how can Biggie be number 1 with only 2 albums released and 1 of them was only 3/5. Rakim has been around for years, and although he is an amazing lyricist and a pioneer, does he really deserve top spot?

I will always put 2pac as the greatest of all time. Just because of the quality of his work, his intelligence and they way he touched people. He may not be my favourite rapper, but he is still my GOAT.

I think people over rate rappers like Nas to componsate for the fact the mainstream under rates them. They're good. But better than Pac??? Why are you here and not on a Nas/Rakim board. As this started with 2pac and most of you have been here before it was Streethop. We all get bored of Pac. But if you heard "So Many Tears" for the first time today what would you think.
Real talk.

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
Pittsey said:

I agree!

Agreed with Pittsey 100%

Tupac is the most intelligent rapper there has been so far and has way more depth into his lyrics than any other artist i've ever heard.

TCD

2Pac probably has more dick riders than any other rapper. That doesn't make him the greatest MC of all-time. Me I don't think he should be in the top 5 purely because I don't think any of his albums are classics. (a classic to me is a 4.5/5 album)

Biggie Smalls is the illest MC of all time but he only has 3 disks of material and only has 1 classic album (for me life after death is 4/5) so I can see why he isn't no.1

Lack of mainstream success could be why Nas and Rakim are so low so I can see why if you thought Reasonable Doubt was a classic why Jigga is number 1.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
TCD said:
2Pac probably has more dick riders than any other rapper. That doesn't make him the greatest MC of all-time. Me I don't think he should be in the top 5 purely because I don't think any of his albums are classics. (a classic to me is a 4.5/5 album)

Biggie Smalls is the illest MC of all time but he only has 3 disks of material and only has 1 classic album (for me life after death is 4/5) so I can see why he isn't no.1

Lack of mainstream success could be why Nas and Rakim are so low so I can see why if you thought Reasonable Doubt was a classic why Jigga is number 1.

Reasonable Doubt isn't a classic. It's just Jays best album. 8 albums, 0 classics. Not number 1 rapper is he.

Having a die hard fan is different to having a dickrider.

No way is Jay-Z number 1, he is and always will be Biggie's hype man. I respect what he has achieved. But he only achieved that because of Biggie, and because of his death. Jay-Z is a 2/3 Biggie.
MATW is a definate 5/5 album. DK7 is close.

Pittsey said:
Reasonable Doubt isn't a classic. It's just Jays best album. 8 albums, 0 classics. Not number 1 rapper is he.

No way is Jay-Z number 1, he is and always will be Biggie's hype man. I respect what he has achieved. But he only achieved that because of Biggie, and because of his death. Jay-Z is a 2/3 Biggie.
Its all about opinions :)

I think Reasonable Doubt is a classic album, theres not one song on it that i skip.

TCD

Pittsey said:

If it where up to me the Notorious B.I.G. wins every time but I can see why someone would say that Jigga was no. 1 And in a discussion if the people involved thought Reasonable Doubt was a classic then I can see why he is no. 1, it seems as though fanbase and impact where part of the criteria so I can see but not agree with Jigga being no.1

ARon

Pittsey said:
So since I like Nas and Rakim more than Tupac I over rate them because they aren't in the mainstream like Pac was? Be real. I think Pac is over rated, to me he isn't as deep or lyrical as everyone makes him out to be, and I appreciate when a rapper has to make me rewind the track to hear what he said over and over cus it was so tight. Pac never did that for me. He said some real shit, but being real doesn't make you the greatest. His flow wasn't special, he said nothing amazing, his voice, charisma, and ability to cater to everyone is what made him great. But for me, he isn't my greatest of all time. But seriously, cus they aren't in the mainstream they are over rated, this is Nas and Rakim, not Immortal Technique.

Da_Funk

Aristotle said:
So since I like Nas and Rakim more than Tupac I over rate them because they aren't in the mainstream like Pac was? Be real. I think Pac is over rated, to me he isn't as deep or lyrical as everyone makes him out to be, and I appreciate when a rapper has to make me rewind the track to hear what he said over and over cus it was so tight. Pac never did that for me. He said some real shit, but being real doesn't make you the greatest. His flow wasn't special, he said nothing amazing, his voice, charisma, and ability to cater to everyone is what made him great. But for me, he isn't my greatest of all time. But seriously, cus they aren't in the mainstream they are over rated, this is Nas and Rakim, not Immortal Technique.
When you make a list like this, you can't go by your opinion. You have to look at what the rapper did over their entire career and make your decision based off that. At least thats what I think Pittsey is saying

Bobby Sands

2Pac is the number one no doubt.Why am i listening to 2Pac albums i got maybe 7 or 8 years ago today?Why did i listen to albums like Blueprint for a week or two and rarely if ever again..

Jay-Z is wack imo.He has a horrible rapping voices.Yea he has some good lyrics but he is nowhere near the complete package.

ARon

Da_Funk said:
When you make a list like this, you can't go by your opinion. You have to look at what the rapper did over their entire career and make your decision based off that. At least thats what I think Pittsey is saying
What they did is have there little conglomerate of people make there own lists then go off of that, I did the same but I kept that in mind.

There has never, and there will never be anybody near the level of Pac. He is in a category himself.

Dont get me wrong there are numerous rappers that are good in one or more aspects of what they consider the "game".

But tupac was a total package. Pac is light years ahead of everyone on this list.

2pacalypse,strickly 4 my,Me against the World,All Eyez on me,R U still down, Untill the end of time, Better Dayz, plus all the unreleased, plus all the songs we will never hear, plus the songs that havent appeared on an album yet... grab the mic, soon as i get home etc.

No rap artist has ever had so many songs/and albums that are considered classics by such a vast amount of listeners of different generations and different races.

I dont have a bias towards pac, these i feel are just obvious facts no one can ignore.

What didnt pac rap about?

Ok I've read enough of this nonsense. Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe that Pac should have been number 1 and I'm glad they didn't have him as such. I know, I know I should be banished from the board and never allowed to speak again, granted this it a site dedicated to the aforementioned. Honestly it wouldn't make a difference to me since I hardly come here anymore and no one knows who I am anyway... but I have digresssed.

I thought MTV did a decent job with this list, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to come up with a top ten that everyone can agree on. For example I don't think that KRS-One should be on there or on any list for that matter, but since he is one of the forefathers and has such an impeccable love for hip-hop that he has to be obligatory added. But again I have digressed...

As for Jay being #1, I dunno but I'm not hating on it. He has bitten more artists than the law allows but even if you pay attention to what he has achieved and brought to the game from a business POV, then he should no doubt be considered. He is a mastered lyricist, storyteller, and the best at using allegory to convey a message or witty remark. Just look at the streets begging for another Jigga Album!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.