7's Corner [Travelling between the lines of mainstream and underground Hip-Hop]

^^ No worries man. I'm going to aim to drop one of these once a day/every two days.

MC LARS – 21 CONCEPTS

MC Lars describes his music as ‘post-punk laptop rap’ and when you listen to his music it quickly becomes clear why.

The 23 year old has an interesting background with a mix of American, Australian and Swedish backgrounds. Throw this into a history which involves graduation from Oxford University, England, and you know this will not be your average hip-hop experience.

21 Concepts is a cleverly scripted track which (in my opinion) is the standout track (and dare I say it, the only good track) from his album The Graduate. Lars compiles a list of tracks with a concept behind them, which he may or may not have recorded contrary to the claims of the chorus (“I’ve got a list of songs here I once thought were the bomb, but when I laid them down in Pro Tools they all came out wrong.”).

The result is a bit of a paradox really: a bunch of failed concept songs to make up the body of a concept song. Some are more amusing than others, but they all gel with the ingenuity of a beat made from a mix of electro distortion and the Tetris theme. Allusions to Jay-Z’s '99 Problems’ are clear and warrant no further clarification to those familiar with the track from the Black Album

His music is loved by magazine columnists who claim Lars is the front man of a 'new underground' hip-hop scene that has been bubbling under the surface for years. But you can’t help but second guess that they love it because they are amongst the minority who get the obscure academic references like the name dropping of Jean-Paul Sartre.

A step away from the gangster scene is always refreshing; his approach is brave and his creativity laudable. But sadly throughout the rest of the album Lars slides into the fatal situation common to parodies - the emo and gangster jokes are obvious enough, but it still feels as if MC Lars ends up being the parody himself. Fans will argue that this was the intention, but quite simply, tracks like ‘Generic Crunk Rap’ are un-listenable and reinforce that the premise of parody ensures a limited lifespan for this ‘style’.

It is undeniable that the MC has some moments of brilliance, but these moments exist only as a line from a song or an idea. At the end of the day, MC Lars exploits what we already know is going on, but the depth is lacking… however 21 Concepts is a good 2:49 of fun.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1ndit6

7 Syns

Topic: Inspectah Deck's new mixtape (tracklist, cover & news)

Written: Rebel INS returns to the scene with a mixtape offering titled "Resident Patient", named after an old Sherlock Holmes movie. Deck has production from RZA, Cilvaringz, Psycho Les :)tu) and the man himself. Fans have been waiting for more Deck production and nows the time. U-God and Masta Killa feature on the mixtape, along with Decks crew, The Housegang. This will be dropping on Urban Icon Records on 24th July In Europe, 25th in USA.

Cover:

Tracklist:
Tracklist
1. Sound Of The Slums (w/ Masta Killa)
2. C.R.E.E.P.S.
3. What They Want
4. Get Ya Weight Up
5. Interlude 1
6. It's Not A Game (w/ House Gang & Suga Bang Bang)
7. Interlude 2
8. My Style
9. All I Want Is Mine
10. A Lil Story
11. Get Down Wit Me
12. I.O.U.
13. No Love (w/ Carlton Fisk & Chico Debarge)
14. Grits - Freestyle
15. Do My Thang
16. Handle That (w/ U-God & Hugh Hef)
17. Animal Rights (w/ Carlton Fisk)
18. H.G. Is My Life

---
Thoughts:
Dope shit.

peace.

Hip-hop permeates into all aspects of existence to such an extent that it is frequently favoured as an educational tool. The nature of rapping makes remembering through rhyme and repetition easier than other methods of learning, say reading for example which is only 20% effective.

The American Printing House for the blind, which was established in 1858, focuses solely on creating products for blind people. In 2001 they developed 'The Braille Rap Song', a track specifically engineered to help those with blindness remember how to 'read' Braille. The idea was to bring in an element of fun to younger individuals with the affliction.

Braille is a form of phsyical print where different letters are discerned by phsyically touching bumps organised in an established arrangement made up of six bumps.

Don't expect a hit song, this is just an example of how diverse hip-hop can actually be, and how it can be harnessed for positive uses rather than for self destruction.

http://www.aph.org/edresearch/braille_rap/braille_rap.mp3

7 Syns

Topic: J Dilla "The Shinning"

Cover:

News:
Jay Dee was able to complete over 90% of The Shining prior to his passing on 02-10-06.

The album's executive producer will be the producer's friend and longtime collaborator Karriem Riggins.

"All the artists that contributed to this project Dilla considered family," says Riggins. "And when the world hears it, they will see that the love bleeds through the music."

"The Shining is expected to be officially released on August 22, and if you respect J Dilla's career and love for the game, that same passion will be exemplified via this album."

Tracklist:
1. Geek Down (with Busta Rhymes)
2. E=Mc2 (with Common)
3. Love Jones
4. Love (with Pharoahe Monch)
5. Baby (with Guilty Simpson, Madlib)
6. So Far to Go (with Common, D’Angelo
7. Jungle Love (with MED, Guilty Simpson)
8. Over The Breaks
9. Body Movin’ (with J. Rocc, Karriem Riggins)
10. Dime Piece (with Dwele)
11. Love Movin’ (with Black Thought)
12. Won't Do

----
Thoughts; awesome, i'll definately get this.

peace.

7 Syns

PuffnScruff said:
has the new cut chemist album come out yet?

any chance of getting a link to the inspectah deck mixtape?
Don't think so, however I believe it is leaked. I don't have a link though.

peace.

7 Syns

Speaking of Meth, Deck.. more Wu news.

Topic: GZA "More Words from a Genius"

Babygrande is pleased to confirm that October 17, 2006 has been set as the release date for The GZA's next album, which is tentatively entitled, More Words From the Genius.

Link: http://www.babygrande.com/index2.jsp

Thoughts: Goddamn! :).

peace.

7 Syns

troublesome2004 said:

Cover of new Method Man album '4:21'...
Nice ass cover, then again I remember seeing the original Tical 0:prequel cover, that shit was dope as fuck. Then they ended up changing it with the baby crushing the city "Honey, I Blew Up The Kid" style. But this album is sounding really nice, not vintage Meth but a new directed Meth with re-energised flows and rhymes.

peace.

7 Syns

Topic: Ras Kass new album 'Eat Or Die'

Tracklist:
1 "intro" (Produced by J. Gambit)
2 "mange ou mourir"
3 "eat or die" (Produced by Twinz)
4 "K.O.T.W." (Produced by Da Riffs)
5 "jungle love" (Produced by Chuck Beats/ Dynamic Producers)
6 "she choosin" Feat. Khao, T.I. (produced by Twinz)
7 "its a beautiful thing" Feat. Joel Ortiiz
8 "better" Feat. J211 (Produced by Broadway for DP)
9 "whip it (street fame)" Feat. Tre, SouthWest
10 "brains in the mud" Feat. Da Ranjahs (Produced Broadway for DP)
11 "realness freestyle"
12 "the perfect woman skit" (Produced By J. Gambit)
13 "medusa" Feat. Nas (Produced By Da Riffs)
14 "capital p rmx" Feat. Mobb Deep
15 "get it in" Feat. Alchemist, Name Brand (Produced by Alchemist)
16 "transfered" Feat. 40 glocc, Spider Loc (Infamous-G-unit)
17 "all day" Feat. TQ (Produced by Cello)
18 "playboy" Feat. Loyd Banks (Produced DJ Static)
19 "my blog" Feat. Whoo Kid, Coach PR (Produced by DP)
20 "homey, lover, friend" Feat. FLH
21 "fed up" (Produced by Large Money)

Rumours:
Ras kass on G-Unit?
Link to:
http://www.sohh.com/media/sohh-focused.html

Link to K.O.T.W (King Of The West):
http://www.raskass-central.com/Ras Kass - KOTW.mp3
(right click, save as)

Thoughts: Ras and Nas? 13 "medusa" Feat. Nas (Produced By Da Riffs) Woah!? The K.O.T.W. song is tight.

peace.

7 Syns

7 Syns

Oh and everyone that I talked to about "American Hunger" keeps saying there's like 2 or 3 filler songs out of the entire 3 discs worth of music.

With Disc1 getting a 4.5/5,
Disc2 a 4.5/5 and
Disc3 4/5.

That's not my opinion, just mere hearsay. I haven't yet downloaded it yet but im sure Albo or roaches perhaps have already.. Maybe. Hopefully they drop their thoughts on the record soon.

peace.

^^^ It's a fucking brilliant album, had it on in the background all day. Really want to sit down and digest it all.

JEDI MIND TRICKS – BEFORE THE GREAT COLLAPSE

This track sees Vinnie Paz at his most open and most honest; he speaks openly about his incarcerated brother and his personal despair. It as a rare and unusual departure from Paz’s time-travelling rhymes which are characterised with simple structure, yet remain sophisticatedly cutting. As far as I am aware, this is only the second or third time the Pazmanian Devil has ventured into such subject matter in his career.

The track contains depressing content, but should not be pigeonholed into a category of self-hate. As the introduction states, “To face what we are in the end, we stand before the light and our true nature is revealed. Self revelation is annihilation of self.” The track is written with suicidal intent because it is the only mechanism by which Paz can reveal himself.

The masterful production provided by Stoupe rests in perfect harmony with the lyrics, especially given that the main sample is repeatedly bent and stressed to give off sentiments of alarm bells and warped air raid sirens.

Ultimately, this is a track of soul searching. A desperate lonely man is regretfully fighting all that he knows, but in doing so, he pays homage to his influences.

Sorry for the large file, another one with a bonus track unwittingly added at the end.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d5ik8j

K-NICE – DR. DRE TRIBUTE

I’ll be honest; I knew absolutely nothing about this guy and I still don’t after hearing this song. Never heard his name before, never heard him rap before and know nothing of his history.

What I do know is that he sounds full of promise and talent - an exciting and rare occurrence amongst the repeated repertoire churned out from week to week in the mixtape circuit. What I find equally refreshing is that he brings fire and depth to a track that is completely whack in its original, Eminem-laced form (Rain Man). Dre’s beats are more hot than not, but Rain Man should be paraded as a key example of how good beats do not necessarily equate to good songs.

Some of the rhymes focus on the struggle of getting signed and recognized, but his lyrics generally fall outside the holding position of overused rhymes and lines. K-Nice throws some underground gripes to the table with unique and intelligent perspectives.

What is most refreshing is how he does it. I can’t remember the last time I heard anyone switch up the tone of each line with the same kind of random synchronization that K-Nice does. The turns his vocal tones take round every line are far superior to the predictability of Atmosphere and the uneven bouncing of Promoe (he’s good, but sometimes fails to ‘sound right’.) And on the most basic of levels, his voice just sounds fucking good.

There are glimpses of a masterful lyricist: “Before I said ‘fuck you play me’ y’all don’t play me? Fine/I’m taking my rhymes and leaving without thanking/I’m teasing, you think I’d leave rap now?/This shit is backwards, I got a spitting background.” And then there are absent elements which bring a sigh of relief: an artist who isn’t trying to sing through all his fucking hooks. (If anything, it’s Slim Shady LP choruses vs. any one of 50 Cent's.) Praise be to the realness of K-Nice!

K-Nice delivers the usual promises and practises of returning rap to its roots and shunning the commercial radio play format, and for some strange reason, this time I believe what I hear.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0qn7i1

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.