7's Corner [Travelling between the lines of mainstream and underground Hip-Hop]

7 Syns

Topic: MF Grimm American Hunger (News)..
Edit: I just found out he prefers to be called GM Grimm now. For what reason, I do not know.

New York City-based rapper MF Grimm is putting the finishing touches on a triple album called American Hunger, which should drop later this spring. Grimm said, "All of my albums were either created in prison or as I was about to go into prison. As a result, they are moody and contain darker moods. American Hunger is the first album I wrote as a free man under nobody's supervision. It's a human album, as it captures the full range of human feeling and situations from love, hate, war, jealousy, frustration, happiness."The 60-song project includes the production of Craig Rip, Architect, J Marty, Black Panther, DJ Crucial, Self, Nate Denver, and others, along with guest appearances by Large Professor, PMD, Poison Pen, and Monsta Island Czars

http://www.thickonline.com/

---
Thoughts: Good shit!.

peace.

Some great stuff here, thanks.

Nice to hear Nas, not an amazing track but good lyrics.

That Outcast cover is really nice, will be checking back for more links and information.

ARon

Thanks as always Syns. I so cant wait til Joey drops an album, although all he has to do is keep puttin out mixtapes and ill be happy.

7 Syns

Topic: Xzibit's new album "Full Circle"

Xzibit Is "Rollin" On New Album "Full Circle"

Xzibit, who has been relatively quiet on the music front since the release of his fifth studio LP; "Weapons Of Mass Destruction", is preparing "Full Circle" - his latest solo offering due for release later this year. Xzibit spoke with MTV earlier this year and explained; "I've been making records [for so long], so to be able to do what I love and do it well, I gotta take it back to what I love. My perspective has definitely changed [over the years], the things I used to say when I was 18, 19 or 20 aren't the things I'm feeling now, you know? I've definitely grown a lot as an individual, as a man, and as a father, and that perspective needs to be shared and put out there."

Clearly an indication on the angle being taken on the new release which is due to come out via Koch Records. As of yet Features, Production credits & a release date are being closely guarded however we have a new track that could well be on the album courtesy of DJ Warrior. The track below is called "Rollin'" and features the production and vocals of Jelly Roll. The track is also listed as featuring B-Real, however you'd be hard pressed to find him...adlibs perhaps...or more likely - a guest verse yet to appear? The wait goes on! Stay tuned to dubcnn.com for the latest news and audio from "Full Circle" - perhaps even a few words from X himself?!

http://www.dubcnm.com/audio/2006/june/xzibit-rollin-(ft-b-real)-(dubcnn).mp3

peace.

jbrolax

i cnat read anything that has been previously posted. But i depicted the usernames and for the most part i ussually agree with most of the stuff they say... so damn right to whatevers goin on in theis theady

7 Syns, appreciate all the tracks u upped. Props to all the others who also contributed.

That masta killa album is looking beautiful....waiting for all the other wu solo albums.

7 Syns this is an awesome thread that shouldn't be allowed to die.

My thoughts on the last couple of pages:

- DMX album cover is one of the most intense I ever recall seeing.

- Nas sounds as strong as ever, looking forward to his 06 release, still grappling with Streets Disciple somewhat.

- Love the Six Days Remix, hadn't heard that till now. What a brilliant tweaking of one of the best beats from The Private Press. I'd only heard the Soulwax Remix off of my Mashin On The Motorway EP.

- Kut Masta Kurt Remix. Diverse kills it on this track as per usual. The beat is growing on me too - I like how Kurt can use can use minimalist production but still come up with bangers (like with Kool Keith). I met Diverse a couple of weeks ago after his concert, the guy's a legend. You heard any tracks off of his Stand Out Mixtape?

- The Shining is the only Dilla joint I'm yet to pick up. After listening to those three tracks, this must change.

- I'd already heard the Budden/Crazy track, that's damn hot. It's just a shame that Budden's verse is essentially followed by a Crazy solo, no one needs to involuntarily hear that song over and over again.

- Outkast, Idlewild.. agree on the cover, but can you shed any more light on it? Haven't heard any Outkast news in a long time, they're over due.

I'll add some of my own stuff later today.

MR SOS – SOMETIMES I RHYME SMOOTH

Mr. SOS’s reputation as a talented, flexible lyricist and proficient freestyler can be somewhat attributed to his collaboration with the Cunninlynguists on their 2003 album Southernunderground. But prior to this, Mr SOS has been leaving his mark on the hip-hop well before the millennium; undeniably so in the battle circuit where he is a formidable force.

This track’s from Mr SOS for President Vol. 1, a mixtape exercise in dropping rhymes on classic beats.

(Therefore I can only assume this beat is not his, if someone can point me to the original it would be much appreciated.)

The beat lifts a sample from the legendary Tracy Chapman song ‘Fast Car’ to great effect. Typically such famous samples drown out accompanying instruments and detract from vocals, but it’s successfully paired with a steady bass line and some shuffling snares that make the instrumental a relaxed, casual affair.

‘Sometimes I Rhyme Smooth’ has two separate verses that vary distinctly in content. The first is a mixed bunch of casual day-to-day observations – from the light-hearted (“Relax your state of mind/I drive a girls car ‘cause I messed up mine”) to the more serious (“Smoking is a habit/but too much of anything makes you an addict”).

The second verse marks the start of story-mode where SOS recalls an ill-fated tale of fidelity from his years as a young adult. It’s a reflective narrative much longer than the first verse, which ultimately shows that some things are best left done and dusted.

A hypnotic jam with two very different verses, deliberately engineered as a testament to the title of the track and the hook – “Sometimes I rhyme smooth, sometimes I get hype” - put this on repeat and you'll end up in your own state of reflection.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t228hz

7 Syns

Topic: Rakim talking on Freddie Foxxx (possibly old?)

LINK OF AUDIO: http://www.halftimeonline.com/podcasts/rakiminterview1.mp3

Taken from an interview:

"Halftimeonline: I was reading a couple of interviews with Freddie Foxxx and he always says when you and Eric B got together Eric was actually looking for him and he found you instead. In one interview he said he was trying to battle you and your crew back in the days but he said you didn’t want to battle. Is there any truth that Foxxx ever challenged you to a battle?

Rakim: Foxxx lived a town over from where I lived, but I NEVER fucking turned down a battle with that motherfucker! Foxxx get the fuck out of my face. You can front on the whole world but you not fronting on me n*gga you never wanted it and you’ll never get it. This is what I’ve been doing from day one. Fuck that bullshit man. Back in the day we were supposed to battle but as far as I remember the story correctly they didn’t want to fuck around. They didn’t like coming to our part of the town. They didn’t even like going to the parties where we were because we drew at motherfuckers at the party. So run that shit by him. Tell him you spoke to Ra, tell him everything he’s been talking is fabricated and I never turned down a fucking battle with Freddie Foxxx. Tell him to knock it off and stop fronting. It’s Rakim Allah man he know who the fuck I am man.

Halftimeonline: Haha. That’s Freddie Foxxx though so I had to bring it out there.

Rakim: Yea, man they were doing shows around the way. They were holding it down for there town and we was holding it down in our town. The town wanted to see us do it. We were at every park jam jumpoff, house party jumpoff, and backyard jumpoff. Ask Foxxx where was they at. We only seen them at the roller skating rink and shit like that nahmean. I can’t even believe the n*gga Foxxx had the fucking audacity to fix his fucking face to say some shit like that. And Eric B came to the hood and asked Alvin Toney who the nastiest motherfucker on the mic was and Alvin Toney brought him straight to my crib. I didn’t hear about Freddie Foxxx or none of that shit back in the day because Foxxx wasn’t ferocious like that. Foxxx had two other cats that used to rhyme with him. They were a good group but Foxxx wasn’t ferocious like that baby pa. Alvin Toney brought him straight to my crib and I was like Al who the hell is this? Word up."

LINK OF WEBSITE:
http://halftimeonline.com/hip-hop-icon-series/rakim-2/

LISTEN TO THE AUDIO RIGHT HERE
http://www.halftimeonline.com/podcasts/rakiminterview1.mp3

Rakim was talkin real greasy. Freddie Foxx credibility is damaged right now.

----
Thought: Wow, Ra actually sounded heated for once in his life?!.

peace.

I have one 7L & Esoteric album lying around that rates around 5/10. They do have the odd hot song here and there, but after reading this I'd be interested to give their new album a listen...

From Baby Grande Records:

"This Tuesday, 7L & Esoteric drop their highly anticipated new album entitled, A New Dope.

Without getting into the debate about the new direction they have taken on this record, we at Babygrande would like to congratulate 7LES for taking creative risk and evolving as artists. Quite frankly, we wish more artists in hip-hop would do the same. Their single with Kool Keith is burning up the college radio charts.

7LES have been making records for a long time now and what is most interesting about the reaction to this release is that it is being well received by critics and so many people that are just discovering the group for the first time. The bottom line is that ANYONE can appreciate a record when you can HEAR that the artist is having fun. So whether you are a lifelong fan of 7L & Esoteric or you are just discovering them, we hope that on Tuesday you will support what is certainly their most daring release to date."

SOUL POSITION – 1 LOVE

Soul Position is collective duo consisting of rapper Blueprint and legendary producer RJD2 (check opening theme tune from the film Wimbledon).

This is a track taken from their first official album together 8 Million Stories which was released in 2003. Incidentally, that album was given a sequel this year by the superb Things Go Better With Rj and Al.

However, out of the two solid albums and the inescapable back-catalogue of chance collaborations, remixes and b-sides, this is one of about five or so tracks that not only contends the ‘Best RJD2 Collaboration’ tag, but perhaps even the ‘Best Song of All Time’ tag.

Blueprint does more than bare his soul over this luscious instrumental, he tears it from his heart, body and mind, culminating in a moving description of the struggles of mankind, the struggles of every individual and the struggle of hip-hop itself - it is a trifector of honesty and integrity.

If there was ever a song to break the unfortunate stereotype associated with hip-hop this would be it. The beauty behind Blueprint’s lyrics is that although they begin by addressing other rappers, real issues of morality and positivity exist here that can be accessed by anyone thanks to the dimensions of Blueprints personal reflections.

I began to list some of the stand out lines, but had to stop as I found myself practically re-writing the entire verse.

And when you think it’s all over, the shouts of “One love…One life… One chance…One man…” begin a heart-felt climax with the echoed cries of “time is so limited” and “I’m trying to see the world”.

The horns that RJD2 drops in at the end of the track as Blueprint announces a “shout out to my niece” certify the emotion in the track and guarantee the eternal position of ‘1 Love’ as a timeless, inspirational masterpiece.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s152rz

(Apologies for the large file, this is the last song from the album and there is a crappy bonus track tagged along to the end.)

New Cut Chemist album. Haven't heard it yet, but apparently its better than the new Jurassic 5 album (which is dope), but I fucking love this cover.

7 Syns

Topic: Redman [The Remixes]

Link to songs: http://rapidshare.de/files/14365643/Redman_-_The_Rare_Remix_EP.rar.html

Password: Ghostfaize

Tracklist:
01 Tonights Da Night (Remix) 03:43
02 Time 4 Sum Aksion (Remix) 03:16
03 Blow Ya Mind (Remix) 03:12
04 Rockafella (Remix) 04:34
05 Whateva Man (Remix) 03:20
TOTAL 18:05 min

-----
Thoughts: Oh you all already know what I think of this. Pure bullfoot 100% no perservatives bullshit free remixes and raps. Dope.

Enjoy.

peace.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.