7's Corner [Travelling between the lines of mainstream and underground Hip-Hop]

ARon

That Game song is cool, I think it will fall under that other thread you made about somone else using the beat. If he doesnt change what hes sayin imma be pissed, you know the production of his album will be on point but fuck, Game is cool, I like him but shit, say something else.

New Nas tracklist, I got this off another site, seems good to me.

1. Intro - (N. Jones, C. Martin)
2. The Death - (N. Jones, S. Storch, S. Holman, A. Griffith)
3. War for Zion ft. Damien Marley - (N. Jones, D. Marley, L. Lewis)
4. Yes Yes Y'all - (N. Jones, S. Gibbs)
5. North by Northwest ft. The Game - (N. Jones, J. Taylor, A. Young)
6. Got it Back Like That ft. Michael Jackson - (N. Jones, M. Jackson, R. Hampford, T. Peter, T. Mosley)
7. The Golden Child (N. Jones, C. Martin, H. Ribald)
8. Polo and Guess ft. Jay-Z - (N. Jones, S. Carter, K. West)
9. U.B.K (Unauthorized Biography of KRS-One) - (N. Jones)
10. Just Love It ft. Kelis - (N. Jones, K. Rogers, J. Smith)
11. World's Greatest ft. Pharrell - (N. Jones, P. Williams, C. Hugo)
12. Gods and Earths ft. Rakim - (N. Jones, W. Griffin, C. Martin)
13. We Brave ft. The Bravehearts - (N. Jones, J. Jones, N. Jones, L. Lewis)
14. Sekou Selassie - (N. Jones, S. Jones, L. Lewis)
15. Hip-Hop is Dead - (N. Jones, W. Adams)
16. Kill that Noise ft. Busta Rhymes - (N. Jones, T. Smith, S. Storch)
17. The "N"... ft. Scarface- (N. Jones, A. Young, B. Jordan, L. Lewis)
18. Ann Jones - (N. Jones, S. Gibbs)
19. Bonus Track: What Y'all Want - (N. Jones, S. Gibbs)

Lots of things I'm looking forward too like Nas Rakim and Premo, then Nas Jay and Kanye, and of course its always cool to see the U.B.K on here too. Just read "The N... Feat. Scarface" makes me giddy. Hopefully the track with Bravehearts will be good, and I want to see if the Ann Jones track is gonna be a "Dance" type joint. Only thing I'm kind of skeptical about is the track with Kelis and Bravehearts, hopefully they wont be bad. Not a bad tracklist for a "crossover" album. Oh yeah, MJ, excited.

PuffnScruff

i saw that tracklist too, i hope its not all real, i dont want to hear nas an MJ do a song. nas if you are listening, please dont, dont make me hate you

ARon

Why would you not want to see Nas and MJ, man, that shit could be real tight.

This also solidifies my stance that MJ never touched any young boys, cus if he did he would of done a song with 50 first to attract more kids to touch, ha. Just playin.

PuffnScruff

Aristotle said:
Why would you not want to see Nas and MJ, man, that shit could be real tight.

This also solidifies my stance that MJ never touched any young boys, cus if he did he would of done a song with 50 first to attract more kids to touch, ha. Just playin.
:laugh:

i just dont like MJ he fell off after the 80s imo

PuffnScruff said:
i just dont like MJ he fell off after the 80s imo
Agreed. He had some classics which can't be denied, but I'll never ever throw on his CDs like some of my mates do.

JIN - TOP 5.

This is historical storytelling narrated by a true representative of hip-hop. Jin delivers an analytic breakdown of some of hip-hop’s finest influences and developments within the genre’s history in a clear headed perspective we have come to expect from him.

If you consider yourself a true hip-hop fan but do not understand a lot of these references, there’s a lot for you to listen to yet. There’s nothing wrong with that, the purpose of the song is to remind us of golden hip-hop in order to understand how we arrived at where we are today. From Jin’s perspective there’s nothing negative in some old and new school narration for newbies, it puts him in his element. You can almost hear how he relishes ending the first verse with “Sucka MCs I don’t admire.”

Jin’s intelligence allows him to raise some of hip-hop’s toughest debates in a respectful manner soaked with admiration. Cleverly, he supports both sides of a debate without actually taking sides…

“Some say Ready To Die was Biggie’s best/but then again there’s always Life After Death”

and

“Just when you thought Pac only bought drama/He had joints like ‘Keep Ya Head Up’ and ‘Dear Mama.’”

It’s a great walk down hip-hop’s memory lane which looks at some of the greatest in well over a decade. I still think one of the best moments is the when the sample drops in the chorus - “Top 5 Dead Or Alive? Ain’t no best.” – an appropriate and perfectly rational way to settle the argument, and the fact that the ‘Made You Look’ beat is audible for a brief second seals the deal for me.

Again and again Jin certifies his credibility as an MC whilst maintaining humility. Listening to this will make you proud of your initial decision to listen to this genre.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mer33w

7 Syns

Topic: MF/GM Grimm releasing graphic novel.

Content: MF GRIMM
SENTENCES “THE LIFE OF MF GRIMM”
VERTIGO/DC COMICS FOR 2007

San Diego, CA, July 24, 2006: MF Grimm is writing a graphic novel based on his life story to be released on Vertigo (DC Comics) in 2007. The project titled Sentences: “The Life Of MF Grimm” was announced at the San Diego Comic Con this past Friday by Karen Berger, Senior Vice President of Vertigo with the illustration above previewed to the media and audience assembled. Illustrated by hot newcomer, Ronald Wimberly the project is an unflinching look into the life of underground hip hop legend Grimm from his youth until today. MF Grimm who is releasing the first triple album in hip hop history American Hunger has had a rich life full of unique accomplishments and heartbreak. The novel will document his time as a child actor on Sesame Street to his rise as a gifted battle rapper who showcased along Tupac Shakur and ghost wrote rhymes for legendary albums. After appearing on albums by such classic hip hop artists as Kurious, Kool G Rap and KMD Grimm was gunned down at the cusp of signing an album deal. Barely surviving Grimm eventually recovered but lost the use of his legs, he also was sentenced to life in prison. Grimm secured his own release and managed to not only resurrect his career but create a whole new persona for himself as MF Grimm, who has released work with the cream of underground hip hop, Bobbito Garcia, MF Doom, Count Bass D and others.

Casey Seijas, acquiring Editor for Vertigo says of the project “The script to Sentences reads exactly like the lyrics to one of MF Grimm’s raps, raw and brutally honest. He debunks the stereotypes associated with hip-hop and shows that beneath the glamorous veneer of money and fame lies real consequences and heartbreak.” Look for further announcements on the release date of Sentences on www.DCComics.com. Day By Day Entertainment are currently shipping copies of American Hunger to your favorite on-line and mom and pop hip hop shop. The label just released the first video from the forthcoming album for the song G.O.D which is viewable on their website www.daybydayent.com. The video was created by Alex Jackson who will be releasing a feature film When Evil Reigns through Day By Day as well.

Thoughts: Interesting.

peace.

7 Syns

*jacked*

Topic: J.Period Presents: The Best of Big Daddy Kane

Tracklist:
1 - Intro
2 - Mr. Pitiful
3 - Taste Of Chocolate
4 - Brother Brother feat. Little Daddy Shane
5 - Smooth Operator
6 - Dance With The Devil
7 - Who Am I
8 - Word To The Mother(land)
9 - Young Gifted & Black
10 - Young, Gifted & Black feat. Nas
11 - Biz Markie Interlude
12 - Just Rhymin With The Biz
13 - Just Rhymin b/w "Got It Made" (J. Period Blend)
14 - Just Rhymin b/w "You're A Customer" (J. Period Blend)
15 - Symphony Interlude
16 - Symphony Verse
17 - Cypher 2003 - Kool G Rap (J. Period remix)
18 - Cypher 2003 - Biz Markie (J. Period remix)
19 - Cypher 2003 - Kane (J. Period remix)
20 - Tony Touch 50 MC's Interlude
21 - 50 MC's Freestyle
22 - Ain't No Half Steppin
23 - On The Bugged Tip (J. Period remix)
24 - Don't Curse feat. Q-Tip
25 - No Damn Good
26 - Cause I Can Do It Right
27 - I Get The Job Done
28 - It's Hard Bein The Kane
29 - It's Hard Bein The Kane (remix)
30 - Raw
31 - Raw b/w "Somethin For The Radio" (J. Period remix)
32 - Raw b/w "Know The Ledge" (J. Period remix)
33 - Warm It Up Kane
34 - Wrath Of Kane
35 - Nuff Respect
36 - Set It Off
37 - Burn Hollywood Burn feat. Ice Cube & Chuck D
38 - Somethin To Think About Interlude
39 - Erase The Racism
40 - Jazz Thing Interlude
41 - Stop Shammin
42 - Mortal Combat
43 - How You Get A Record Deal
44 - How You Get A Record Deal b/w "The Watcher" (J. Period remix)
45 - How You Get A Record Deal b/w "Real Niggaz" (J. Period remix)
46 - R.I.P. Notorious B.I.G.
47 - Biggie Garden Freestyle (J. Period remix)
48 - Kane Garden Freestyle (J. Period remix)
49 - R.I.P. Big L / Platinum Plus
50 - The Man The Icon
51 - The Man The Icon b/w "Boom" (J. Period remix)
52 - The Man The Icon b/w "Crooklyn" (J. Period remix)
53 - Brooklyn Interlude
54 - Come On Down feat. Busta Rhymes
55 - Pimp Named Touch Interlude
56 - Count Macula's Theory
57 - Outro

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QNEIMF4V (won't be up here long)

Youtube Video's: http://youtube.com/results?search=big+daddy+kane&search_type=search_videos&search=Search (watch BDK video's)

Thoughts: Chea!.

peace.

^^ Thanks, great compilation...browsing through it now...some classics and some hot little blends (The Cypher vs Ill Street Blues/Phone Tap). And it's nice to finally hear someone keep BDK with Biggie/Pac when remixing the live freestyle we all know so well. Pick this up already...

I must confess I did not know that Grimm is wheelchair bound, nor that he single handedly managed to evade a life sentence by studying law from a prison cell... I will now have to re-listen to every track of his I own.. Any ideas who he has ghost written for?

Will definitely pick up this comic book project. Did you see the news article Pittsey wrote recently saying that Aesop Rock is doing one too?

I recently managed to get my hands on the Murs & Slug comic book 'Felt', which is better than the two CDs (a difficult feat?). But I still really want to pick up a book that Kid Koala drew which comes with a soundtrack you listen to as you read it.

After reading this though, Grimm takes over the spot of most anticipated.

7 Syns

^
No doubt, Grimm has always intruiged me. As an emcee, his monotone flow and sharp delivery keeps me wanting more. His lyrical abilities and subject matter are ofcourse a great additional extra. Going through "American Hunger" in it's entire form for the first time today and I have to admitt. It sounds really good from what Ive heard to now thus far.

His comic book will be interesting, he definately has a story to tell. With it being drawn up by the DC/Vertigo guys. It should be good.

peace.

AFU RA – THROUGH THESE VEINS

Afu Ra is four solo albums deep in what seems to be a bit of an unaccredited career. Given that he started amongst the ranks of the Gangstarr Foundation he’s always had a bit of Premo production at hand to help spread his word, but as a master of the martial arts he should have been knocking out others with music alone many years ago.

This song is not on any of his albums; it’s lifted from a compilation album (fittingly) titled Underground Crownholders. I love it for the atmospheric beat (produced by the Funky Fresh Few from the UK) and the self explanatory hook that unites three semi-unrelated verses together… “Hip-hop running through these veins… Equipped with mental hardware.”

The second verse is a story in itself but whether it’s tied to the opening and closing verses is for you to decide (We get an introduction to Afu Ra, but not to the opponent he faces in verse two). I’m undecided, I’m still too obsessed with the middle verse and those kick ass sound effects.

The story is intriguing and open ended enough, but when put in the context of the other verses it only adds to the mystery. Perhaps it wasn’t meant to be worked out and you should just let it run through your veins.

I’d thoroughly recommending checking out the other efforts of this New York MC for yourself. He’s collaborated with enough talented producers and other artists to warrant your attention.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cgpzaw

thx for the headsup on MF Grimm. how long has he been working on american hunger? a 3cd release is pretty impressive underground or mainstream.

i love the horns on Lift Me Up

7 Syns

Topic: Xzibit's new single

Link: http://www.dubcnm.com/audio/2006/july/xzibit-concentrate-(dubcnn).mp3
(Right Click, Save As)

News: We brought you a song from the upcoming Xzibit album "Full Circle", which is dropping on Open Bar/Koch Records on September 19th 2006, earlier this month. Incase you missed it, click here to check out "Rollin'", produced by Jelly Roll.

But this is not the reason for this update. The reason for this update is Xzibit's official first single off the album, produced by Rick Rock. The song is called "Concentrate", and we linked up with DJ Warrior & HipHopWest.com to bring you this exclusive.

Check out "Concentrate" below:

Xzibit - Concentrate (Prod. by Rick Rock)

Be on the lookout for "Full Circle", September 19th. The album is set to feature DJ Quik, King Tee, The Game, Daz, Kurupt, T-Pain & Jelly Roll amongst others.

Props to dubcnm.com

Thoughts: Sounds cool, it's the Touch It (Remix) part. 5 Ha. nah I don't mind it. Banging drums.

peace.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.