The Official NBA Thread 2011-12

Kobe

What did Scottie say?
This is what is causing so much controversy:

"Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to play the game," Pippen said Friday on "Mike & Mike In The Morning" on ESPN Radio. "But I may go as far as to say LeBron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will but he keeps everybody involved.
In any sport, it really is pointless to make cross generational comparisons and come up with a ‘best ever’. Why was Jerry West chosen to be the NBA Logo and not MJ *disregarding economics and timescale*? Is it because Jerry West is a better basketball player than MJ? Back then, Jerry West was so good, they made him the logo. As much as Jordan has achieved in the NBA, one day someone will come along and smash everything Jordan ever achieved. It will happen. It might not be Lebron James to do it but it will happen.

Pippen doesn't need to apologize to anyone for thinking out loudly:

Ristol

New York's Ambassador
I hear that Kobe. I was always a fan of Pippen, I just didn't like what he said at all. Seemed like a sly shot at MJ.

In other news, WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THE FINALS STARTED TONIGHT??? I thought game one was Thursday. I'm happy I realized in time. You people seriously need to tell me these things.

Kobe

NB: The reason I'm not rooting for the Mavs is because they swept the Lakers. As in seriously.....F!@k the Celtics and f!@k the Mavs from the bottom of a Lakers fan's heart. Only God knows what I would have done if those two teams met in the Finals :eek:.

ESPN in my region has shown a number of Heat games this season and I didn't even watch one of them. I didn't think they were relevant unless they got to this point i.e. the NBA Finals. The same way I never watched a full Cavs game unless Lebron was in the NBA Finals. Let me add that those finals turned out to be a major bore fest. Think of me as the guy that doesn't want the history lesson, I just want to see history happen. Today was my first time to watch the Heat play this season. I can only think of one reaction: WOOOOHOOOO!!

OK, maybe I just watched one lucky game out of a number of bad games for the Heat? I'm the most guilty for laughing at the Heat during their struggles early in the season. I called for Spoelstra to be fired for messing up a team with Lebron and Wade in it. One thing that hasn't changed in my opinion is that Chris Bosh is the groupie on this team. Where the Lakers failed miserably against the Mavs (defending and countering a barrage of 3 pointers), the Heat have gotten by so easily.

Right now, the Mavs have to win the next 4 games. This playoffs, the Heat have been wrapping teams up in 5.

Ristol, Game 2 is Thursday on ABC 9pmET/6pmPT :)

ArtsyGirl

Mav's played pretty shit, compared to how they have been playing. They only lost by 8 so if they can shake of the nerves, whatever got major key players for them shook then it will be a series. If not, I will be disappointed.

Kobe

This was something I read from Kareem Abdul Jabbar, just adding on my point about cross generational comparison. There is just too many things to look at as soon as you start such talk.

He challenged the notion of Jordan as the greatest scorer by saying that crown belongs to Wilt Chamberlain, citing Chamberlain's 1961-62 season when he averaged 50.4 points and 25.7 rebounds. Abdul-Jabbar, who is the league's all-time points leader, also wrote about Chamberlain's 100-point game and the smaller league size, which he said meant there was better talent in the league then compared to when Jordan played from the 1980s to the 2000s.
The conversation between a Wilt fan and a Jordan fan would be something like this: "Anyone who averages 50.4ppg is nuts. Even Jordan couldn't do that." The Jordan fan replies, "The defense back then can't even be compared to the defense during Jordan's era. If Mike played back then, he would have averaged 60ppg." :D 'If' statements again making everything redundant.............I'm done.

As much as I'm trashing the Mavs, Dirk Nowitzki is one hell of a shooter. He has to be one of the all time greatest players.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I never liked watching Shaq play and that's beside the fact that I was a die-hard Sactown fan in the early 2000s. There's something about pure power and strength dominance that I dislike in an NBA player. I'm all about finesse, maybe cause I'm relatively short or because I'm European. It's the same reason why LeBron will never be my most favorite player. He doesn't look as good doing what he does as, for example, Wade, Jordan, Kobe, Iverson, etc.

Ristol

New York's Ambassador
But SOFI, Shaq had plenty of finesse. If he didn't he wouldn't have been so dominant. Dwight Howard, for all his power, is just coming into his own as an offensive player because he's a fucking lumberjack out there. Shaq was never that way. I always loved watching him play, even though I was pulling for Sacramento or Portland or whoever else L.A. was playing. Knew I was watching an all-time great and tried to appreciate him. I've never seen a guy change the flow of a game like Shaq. He was the most singularly dominant offensive player I've ever watched. And I watched MJ a lot. Shaq is without question one of the five greatest players ever.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Let me rephrase. He had a great touch and feel for the ball considering his size. Hell, it was amazing. But he didn't make David Robinson damn near cry like Olajuwon did. Shaq relied more on power (well, duh) as opposed to nice moves and fakes down low.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.