Nas - Hip-Hop is Dead

PELLA said:
Nas comes out sounding like an idiot. Albums wack. The only decent tracks are "still dreaming", "hustlers" and "play on playa", but only because of Kanye, Snoop and Game. Productions weak on this album..not surprisingly. I expect this from Nas. This whole thing should of been produced by Premo or like Pete Rock if Nas thinks hiphops dead and if he believes he can bring it back haha.
*slaps this fool multiple times with multiple hands*

ATCQ

drake_411 said:
maybe blood diamonds?
It was actually The N. I think I had it labelled as something else originally so that's why I didn't recognise the name. Shame it didn't make it on to the album.

The album is starting to grow on me now. Some songs I didn't like at first but do now. Some songs were just awesome on the first listening though. Such as Money Over Bullshit and Black Republican. The beat on Black Republican sends chills down my spine, sounds so epic, reminds me of the beat for Victory by Puffy And B.I.G.

ARon

Surprised Salaam Remi only did what one track, no two but with Nas. Seems weird, thought he would be doin a lot more. LES on the other hand, talk about impressing. Then Kanye, Let There Be Light is amazing man. Anyone who talks about bad production on this I want to call a fool but fuck it, Im just gonna enjoy this.

The album is finally startin to really grow on me.. I just thought it was semi-above average when i 1st heard it but after about 3 good listens I can say imo that i like this better then Games album.

"Let There Be Light" which I didnt even like the 1st listen I gotta say is prob my favorite now... Along with "Not Goin Back" and "Carry On Tradition".. Lotta good cuts on here..

Only song i think coulda been left off was "Who Killed It".. That voice annoys the shit outta me! It was iight listenin to it a couple times but i cant imagine puttin this on repeat.. I'd go crazy.

Its not a Stillmatic or Illmatic but its still probaly the best album i heard this year.. btw i wonder why "The N" didnt make the cut... weird...

01. Money Over Bullshit (Produced By L.E.S.)
This is a great introduction, banging track. "The N..." aka "Don't Hate Me Now" was hot but I am not too sad to see it replaced by this track. 4/5

02. You Can't Kill Me (Produced By Salaam Remi)
Not really feeling this track but don't hate it. It might grow on me. 3/5

03. Carry On Tradition (Produced By Scott Storch)
Nice beat from Scott Storch. Good content here. 4/5

04. Where Are They Now (Produced by Nas and Salaam Remi)
I struggle with this beat a bit but it is growing on me. Wonder how much work Nas did on the boards for this one. Nice content again. 3.5/5

05. Hip Hop Is Dead (Featuring will.i.am) (Produced by will.i.am)
Love this track, a bit strange to hear the sample again but will.i.am has done a nice job. Great content and a good choice for first single except for all the censoring. I don't mind the adjusted chorus. 4/5

06. Who Killed It? (Produced By will.i.am)
Find this quite strange but don't hate it like lots of people seem to. I think it will make more sense and grow on me the more I listen to it. 3/5

07. Black Republican (Feat. Jay-Z) (Produced By L.E.S.)
The collaboration that for years I believed would never happen. Banging epic beat. They have different styles but making a great collaboration! 4.5/5

08. Not Going Back (Featuring Kelis) (Produced by Star Gate)
The introduction sounds a bit awkward but am loving the beat. Kelis does OK, she is no Chrisette Michelle but this is not bad for the compulsory Kelis collaboration. Good content as usual. 3.5/5

09. Still Dreaming (Featuring Kanye West & Chrisette Michelle) (Produced by Kanye West)
Kanye's production and Nas's voice work perfectly. Was really anticipating the Kanye produced tracks and this did'nt disappoint. 5/5

10. Hold Down The Block (Produced by Mark Batson)
Nice beat and sample. A different sound but works well. 4/5

11. Blunt Ashes (Produced by Chris Webber)
Surprising beat. Great content, Slow flow is interesting, Nas does well. 4/5

12. Let There Be Light (Featuring Tre Williams) (Produced by Kanye West)
The Nas/Premier album would be great and I hope it sees the light of day but how amazing would a Nas album entirely produced by Kanye be? 5/5

13. Play On Playa (Featuring Snoop Dogg) (Produced by Scott Storch)
Cringed when I saw the name and feature for this one but Snoop has proved me wrong. 4/5

14. Can't Forget About You (Featuring Chrisette Michelle) (Produced by will.i.am)
Great track, took a few listens to grow on me but now I love it. Something a bit different. Chrisette Michelle was a great discovery. 5/5

15. Hustlers (Featuring The Game & Marsha Ambrosius) (Produced By Dr. Dre)
Good but not outstanding beat from Dre. Standard verse from the Game, nice flow though. A bit of a nothing track for me, but flows and energy carry it. 3.5/5

16. Hope (Acapella)
Great way to finish the album! Hot verse from Nas links in well with the concept. Singing is great, I assume it is Chrisette Michelle again? 5/5

Overall 4/5.

The album is very solid however I think people may be hyping it up too much. Not that they're trying to exaggerate how good it is but maybe it's just cause most releases over the last year have been shit so now that a good album comes out it blows everything out of the water.

fwn

Fucking hell...did this album drop or what? I went down to the mall and checked two different music stores and they didnt have it, one said its coming out on the 19th and the other said they would be bringing it in soon.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.