Nas - Hip-Hop is Dead

GhettoStar said:
I look 4ward to it, but it has been shitted by some people on diffrent boards although those folks are mostly White (not racist but true though)
Are you new here? This place is about as white as it comes. Anyway I really like the album. I've been playing it over and over on my ipod since the sampler dropped. For the most part I had given up on mainstream rap in the past few years and have been listening almost exclusively to underground heads (where hiphop isnt dead) like p.o.s., soul position, murs, sage francis etc... but Nas has really hit a homerun here. Lets hope this serves as a wakeup call to the rest of the mainstream. I think there are a lot of really talented mainstream rappers out there who I would love to listen to if they had something to say.

GhettoStar said:
I look 4ward to it, but it has been shitted by some people on diffrent boards although those folks are mostly White (not racist but true though)
Are you new here? This place is about as white as it comes. Anyway I really like the album. I've been playing it over and over on my ipod since the sampler dropped. For the most part I had given up on mainstream rap in the past few years and have been listening almost exclusively to underground heads (where hiphop isnt dead) like p.o.s., soul position, murs, sage francis etc... but Nas has really hit a homerun here. Lets hope this serves as a wakeup call to the rest of the mainstream. I think there are a lot of really talented mainstream rappers out there who I would love to listen to if they had something to say.

ARon

Unfortunately, the chorus on the CD, yes the CD, is the same as the leaked version, kind of wak but it's good either way. The weird thing is the 12" single is the original version that I think most of us first heard, I got both so I'm set.

Edit: If you get it from Best Buy they give you "Where Y'all At" as an exclusive track or whatever, its leaked anyway but still.

Aristotle said:
Edit: If you get it from Best Buy they give you "Where Y'all At" as an exclusive track or whatever, its leaked anyway but still.
Does it have the "New Nas!" tag at the start? If not, could you please upload it?

the album is pretty dope,alot of tight tracks. "The N" (Hate Me Now) is a UK Bonus Track.anyone notice that Statik Selektah has the studio acapellas for The N, Where Y'all At,Shine On Em,Talk Of NY and the 50 cent diss track (Don't Body Ya Self) alternate take, with lyrics that aren't on the track. and what sounds like an alternate verse before Statik cuts it short.

i wonder if the "Hope" track was a mistake and some how the beat wasn't pressed. or they couldn't clear the sample in time so they just took it off and never remixed it. cause i don't really understand why it would be released with no instrumental. i haven't heard Nas say anything about it on tv or anything. all so the sticker on it says "featuring Damian Marley" and he's not on the album. and the track HHID is the same as the video version,all clean lyrics. so it seems like there where a few mistakes.

ATCQ said:
http://www.grounduphiphop.com/2006/12/10/nas-hope-with-beat/

Here is 'Hope' (the last track) with (apparently) the original beat that it had before they decided to just use the acapella. Anyone know where to get this in downloadable form or how to record it?

Good beat, they should have used it instead of just the acapella.

i've heard this track on another forum and i feel like it's not the original version. sounds like it's off a bar here and there. but listening to the acapella i can kind of hear the snare in the outro and it sounds some what like the one you just posted. but i think it's all most impossible to say for sure that's the original when know one's heard it,at least most fans anyway. there's so many remixes going around now,i have about 5 including one i did. so some people could be easily mislead. i need something more official then just some guy on the internet with a web site saying that's the original.

Nice to know I'm not alone in really hating this song. From Pitchfork:

A few of the beats are mediocre, which, again, is Nas' Achilles Heel. But if I'm going to talk negatives, it's really only necessary to mention one song. Will.i.am produced three on the album, and all of them, at least his contribution to them, are decent to good. However, "Who Killed It?", Will's odd nursery-noir beat, is the worst concept song in the history of hip-hop music. Normally, I'm with Nas any time he wants to inhabit a persona or inanimate object, but here he assumes the voice of-- I shit you not-- character actor Edward G. Robinson (kids: think Chief Wiggum). The first time I heard it, I was genuinely shocked. The content is irrelevant. Truly, deeply embarrassing, but that's what the delete key is for, people. Let's hope it was the Black Eyed Pea's idea.

This album is sick. In my opinion this is the best album of the year and one of the best mainstream albums i've heard in a long time. The track with snoop is flawless even if the subject matter isn't the best. Hustlers is bangin even if i did'n like it at firs, only game comes a little too a**-kissing.Can't forget about you is great, the whole concept the lyrics.
I can admit nas' voice on who killed it is iritating but I thought lyrics are the most important thing in hip hop.
Black republican is not that great because hip hop has grown since the beef and if this track was released a few years ago it would have been a real banger
Blunt ashes has a weird flow, but it's still a very good track.
The only tracks that take away from the greatness of the album are Money over bs and can't kill me, but nas still delivers ingenious wordplay.(all the tracks i haven't mentioned are perfect)
This is what mainstream rap should be. Even if you don't like what nas is saying u gotta admit he delivers great arguments.
Nas is quickly becoming the best rapper alive in my opinion:1 under average album (Nastradamus), 1 album with a lot of good track and some weak tracks(I am) and 7 great albums(the rest even if illmatic is considered the greatest). Let mee see another rapper top that!! (it has strong competition in my top from talib kweli though)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.