If you think hip-hop is in trouble, go fuck yourself.

ARon

Heads are acting like all this great music exists and it does. But the rape of your culture still exists. Mainstream is MORE than underground, there is a lot more wrong with hip hop then there is good.

I say we as rap fans have got to ignore the line between underground and mainstream rap..that is all we have to do because that way you fill up what bores you.

Kareem said:
hip hop is dying, the state of it right now is so pitiful only a 14 yearold wouldnt think so, no offense roaches, i just callit how i see it, i cant even name 10 artists im feel'n now, i can barely name 2.
Strongly agree with you.

Kareem said:
I'll stick wit the underground cats for now thats where the real love for this artform is, until someone with real heart an love for the music comes along.
Exactly, rappers like Napoleon.

And again i say we gotta stop making a difference between underground rap and mainstream..You can't force ppl to listen to music from EL-P because you like it...If you want other people to listen to EL-P than talk about him...Or Cage or Little Brother or ne other artist that isnt signed to def jam roc a fella shady records or aftermath...

Saying mainstream rap is dead is a BS statement. You simply grew out of some of it or you just feel other artists more...Obviously alot of people still like hip hop and that already proves it didn't die..Hip hop is getting bigger business wise and maybe that side is what overshadows the music side in your eyes...but try to ignore that 4 a minute...Ha man I don't even listen to G unit but whenever i see shit on tv i can say (not always)aight that is nice to hear....Wont make me buy their album tho but its a matter of taste...or what about benzino..? Same shit with him Look into my eyes..is nice as fuck...just because the heads around you don't like it doesnt mean you can't like it...There are way too many ppl following ass...Ppl don't think 4themselves ne more...

You don't have to like what these artists put out today..but there so many ppl that do like it..I don't see what some of you ppl are bitching about...

So one more time: If you want people to respect what you listen to..try to get em into it by talking about em recommend em some music...Inform em...don't diss mainstream rap to make independant look better..

lilc

maybe I feel like playing devils advocate today, but while I agree I liked the mid 90's rap better. Who are we to say it's dead. I'm 24 now and can remember the "classic" rap days. However, I don't want to be like my grandpa saying today's movies are garbage and nothing compares to the casablanca and gone with the wind days. To me those movies are garbage, yet are considered classics.

roaches

i cant even name 10 artists im feel'n now, i can barely name 2.
That sounds like a personal problem, not hip-hop's problem.

Hip hop has fallen to shitheads with gold fronts an use the words thurrr an hurrr in every line.
Even Rakim has gold fronts. Don't be ignorant. And as for Chingy, you realize that his second album flopped, right?

given the opportunity i would much rather rewind time back to 96 when in my opinion hip hop was at its best. These rejects we have now that call themselves "mc's" are a disgrace to the art form we call hip hop an will ultimately kill it, someone said hip hop is on life support damn aint that the truth an right now it has a dnro ( do not recesitate order) unless someone with some real skill an real lyrics comes along an knocks these current clowns outa here.
What are "real skills" and "real lyrics"?

in my opinion production doesnt mean shit, i know some people here will argue that one but man you can have the best production on an album but if the message is shitty your album isnt worth a shit on the other hand you can have the worst production but if ya message is on point an ya flow is tight then the production doesnt matter, now thats hip hop
9 out of 10 hip-hop heads agree, The Chronic is better than Soul on Ice. The other one got into hip-hop in 1997 and wishes it was 1996 again.

I think you hate black people.

maybe I feel like playing devils advocate today, but while I agree I liked the mid 90's rap better. Who are we to say it's dead. I'm 24 now and can remember the "classic" rap days.
Do you realize that in 1994 Common Sense released a single complaining about the state of hip-hop?

roaches said:

Even Rakim has gold fronts. Don't be ignorant. And as for Chingy, you realize that his second album flopped, right?

9 out of 10 hip-hop heads agree, The Chronic is better than Soul on Ice. The other one got into hip-hop in 1997 and wishes it was 1996 again.

Do you realize that in 1994 Common Sense released a single complaining about the state of hip-hop?
Fuck yeah roaches! I hate these motherfuckers who always talk about how great shit used to be. Then you know 5 years from now they'll talk about the good days when 50 was on top.

Hate to use 50 as an example, but why is everyone saying GRODT is a classic all of a sudden? I remember what these fuckers were saying when that album dropped, crying because it didn't 'live up to the hype'. Check it out: http://www.mvremix.com/urban/reviews/2003/50centrich.shtml

That's the shit I remember.

Kareem

roaches said:

how the fuck did anything in my post show hate for black people? put the weed down an focus for a min. #2 i dont give a shit if Rakim has gold fronts or not, was my reply about Rakim? no it was about half these wack ass mc we got now. #3 good im glad Chingy's album flopped but the sad fact is another idoit will step up an take his place. #4 what is real skill an real lyrics? dogg if you dont know ya need to listen to more then that mainstream shit, real skill an real lyrics are ie, Biggie, Pac, Nas, cats that talk about shit going on in the black community not " i got a $80,000 car , bling in my mouth an bitch wit a ass that bounce" that takes no skill my 2 yearold son could write better shit then that. Im 26 now i been listening to hip hop since i was 7, if you think the shit today is better then it was 8 years ago you either A. only recently starting listening to hip hop or are B deaf. Name 10 mainstream commercail artists right now that can stack up against the artists of the early an mid 90's, you'd be hard pressed.

An stillkulliminati i wasnt talking to your 15 yearold ass your comment brought no weight to this conversation go bump your rythem an gangsta an keep pretending ya know what hip hop is about. Simple an plain roaches your entitled to your opinion thats fine, im not disputing that, i just dont see how anyone can look at the current state of hip hop an say everything is ok when we got faggots like 50, chingy, Nelly an Lil Jon running around, if the future of hip hop relies on them, then my friend its a bleek future indeed, like i said hey great chingy last album has been a flop but fact does remain another moron with absolutely nothing to say will be right there waiting to replace him, peace

Kareem said:
An stillkulliminati i wasnt talking to your 15 yearold ass your comment brought no weight to this conversation go bump your rythem an gangsta an keep pretending ya know what hip hop is about. Simple an plain roaches your entitled to your opinion thats fine, im not disputing that, i just dont see how anyone can look at the current state of hip hop an say everything is ok when we got faggots like 50, chingy, Nelly an Lil Jon running around, if the future of hip hop relies on them, then my friend its a bleek future indeed, like i said hey great chingy last album has been a flop but fact does remain another moron with absolutely nothing to say will be right there waiting to replace him, peace
Chingy, Nelly, and Lil Jon? Lil Jon is a fucking producer, he makes club bangers. The future of hip hop is in T.I., G-Unit, Outkast (still), Jay-Z (if/when he decides to come back), Kanye West, and Jadakiss. My 15 year old ass must have missed all the mind blowing shit too short, mobb deep, snoop dogg, and dpg were spitting in the mid 90's. Masta Ace had an album last year, Long Hot Summer, maybe you missed that shit.

haven't read you r post, i'm pretty drunk, but all i can say is hiphop is letting me down, and it's hitting me right in the heart. i'm starting to listen to other types of music and enjoying them much more than the shit that's out now. the only hip hop i listen to is mostly over 10 years old.. :(

roaches

real skill an real lyrics are ie, Biggie, Pac, Nas, cats that talk about shit going on in the black community not " i got a $80,000 car , bling in my mouth an bitch wit a ass that bounce"
When I was twelve, I went to hell for snuffin Jesus

Swimmin in women like a lifeguard
Put on a bulletproof nigga I strike hard
Kidnap the President's wife without a plan
And hangin niggaz like the Ku Klux Klan

On his first guest appearance, Nas talked about killing in Jesus, swimming in a pool of women, and compared himself to the KKK.

Biggie wasn't about flossing and materialism? Lmao, Ready to Die's videos set the standard for that shit. Oh yeah, he also talked about killing babies, raping people, and robbing pregnant women.

2Pac started off a song with "Picture me rollin in my 500 Benz". And you heard "What's Ya Phone Number", right?

Nelly, on the other hand, has made songs respectful to women where he contemplates how he mistreated them, and wonders where he went wrong. He also talks about Driving While Black, and put St. Louis on the map. Lil Jon also explores mature topics like the lines between friendship and romance, pays tribute to hip-hop greats by recreating classic songs ("Grand Finale" anyone?), and preserves the essence of hip-hop - party joints - by making hard bangers that appeal to the hip-hop aesthetic, not cater to R&B crowds.

Shit ain't as black and white as you think.

roaches said:
If you think hip-hop is in trouble and write editorials about that fact with writing quality that belongs in Practice Your English While Talking About Your Former Favorite Music message baords, please apply to yourself every activity recommended by the Wu-Tang Clan before "Method Man" kicks in.

Then, take your poser ass to the nearest elevation and chuck yourself off of it.

Let the rest of us enjoy our rap music, which we actually still like.
Hmmm...something tells me that someone is pissed off about the editorial Rukas wrote at Streethop.com.

Rukas was right, hip hop has been in trouble for a while actually. As long as we have these fucking bullshit artists sitting at the top of the charts like 50 Cent, Lil Jon, Nelly, Chingy and anyone you group in with those bullshit artists, hip hop will be in trouble. Hip hop is being run by those bullshit artists right now (also add Snoop to that list) while artists who are a shot in the arm for the betterment of hip hop (Eminem, Obie Trice, Young Buck, Jay Z, Nas, Ja Rule, Fat Joe, Dr. Dre, Talib Kweli, Royce, etc...) are not getting as much recognition.

Everything in rap music since the hub bub surrounding Encore died is about 50 Cent...who is the BIGGEST detriment to the industry right now.

Bank Robber said:
5 years ago, I would buy tons of new cds and be satisfied with many of them.

in the last year, I haven't baught one cd and actually felt like it was worth the money.

in my mind, hip hop is in trouble, i dont care what you nor anybody else thinks.
Co-sign.

While I've had a little more luck than Robber, I bought about 13-15 new CD's this year, I actually was completely happy with 2 of them that I do no FFing through (Young Buck: Cashville and Obie Trice: Cheers) and two more that I bought (Encore, D12 World), I wasn't completely satisfied with those, but I was happy enough.

But I agree with the rest of what Robber says. And hip hop has BEEN in trouble.

Sun_Tzu said:
fuck that shit man, i think Hip Hop is pretty much dead. If you read the lil booklet in Inspectah Deck's Movement cd i think he says something that brings up some good points that hip hop is dead.
That's because there's like 200 mainstream acts and about 6 of them are worth your time.

Sun_Tzu said:
fuck that shit man, i think Hip Hop is pretty much dead. If you read the lil booklet in Inspectah Deck's Movement cd i think he says something that brings up some good points that hip hop is dead.
That's because there's like 200 artists out right now and all of about 6 of them are actually decent artists.

There's a reason so many albums are not going platinum or just barely breaking platinum.

roaches

Rukas was right, hip hop has been in trouble for a while actually. As long as we have these fucking bullshit artists sitting at the top of the charts like 50 Cent, Lil Jon, Nelly, Chingy and anyone you group in with those bullshit artists, hip hop will be in trouble. Hip hop is being run by those bullshit artists right now (also add Snoop to that list) while artists who are a shot in the arm for the betterment of hip hop (Eminem, Obie Trice, Young Buck, Jay Z, Nas, Ja Rule, Fat Joe, Dr. Dre, Talib Kweli, Royce, etc...) are not getting as much recognition.

Everything in rap music since the hub bub surrounding Encore died is about 50 Cent...who is the BIGGEST detriment to the industry right now.
You think:
- Christina Aguilera is "the hottest female on the planet"
- Kid Rock's Devil Without a Cause is one of the greatest albums of all time
- Have love for Young MC and random ass members of D12, but none for the makers of some of hip-hop's greatest albums.

Kindly shut the fuck up, DOWNRIVER STYLE

You think:
- Christina Aguilera is "the hottest female on the planet"
- Kid Rock's Devil Without a Cause is one of the greatest albums of all time
- Have love for Young MC and random ass members of D12, but none for the makers of some of hip-hop's greatest albums.
All of this is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the debate at hand. Everything you just listed has NOTHING TO DO with this debate. You think you're going to embarass me by posting things on this website that ANYONE ON THE INTERNET can see because I post my website address everywhere. Using something that someone is proud of to try to embarass them is never going to work. You also use it to some how try to "discredit" me and my argument but sadly fail because as I said, none of what you wrote above has any relevance to the debate at hand, at all.

Kindly shut the fuck up, DOWNRIVER STYLE
You forgot the "BITCH!!!" part...bitch.

P.S. You said I have "no love" for some of the makers of the greatest hip hop albums ever made. Such as who?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.