If you think hip-hop is in trouble, go fuck yourself.

roaches

If you think hip-hop is in trouble and write editorials about that fact with writing quality that belongs in Practice Your English While Talking About Your Former Favorite Music message baords, please apply to yourself every activity recommended by the Wu-Tang Clan before "Method Man" kicks in.

Then, take your poser ass to the nearest elevation and chuck yourself off of it.

Let the rest of us enjoy our rap music, which we actually still like.

Butt Rubber

More arrogant than SicC
5 years ago, I would buy tons of new cds and be satisfied with many of them.

in the last year, I haven't baught one cd and actually felt like it was worth the money.

in my mind, hip hop is in trouble, i dont care what you nor anybody else thinks.

deazy

So, roaches, do you like the state hiphop is in right now? jus wondering? Im not one of those "hiphop is in trouble people" but a lotta people are, and its cool 2 hear a diff view, So yea, whats your view on it right now?

-Inquisitive, Deazy

fuck that shit man, i think Hip Hop is pretty much dead. If you read the lil booklet in Inspectah Deck's Movement cd i think he says something that brings up some good points that hip hop is dead.

Bank Robber said:

in the last year, I haven't baught one cd and actually felt like it was worth the money.

in my mind, hip hop is in trouble, i dont care what you nor anybody else thinks.
:thumb: roaches just likes chingy :D

AmerikazMost

Bank Robber said:

:thumb:

all the cd's i buy are classics that i just dont have and are worth the money. like recently i bought Don't Sweat the Technique.

roaches, if you like rap as a genre that focuses more on production and image rather than lyrical ability, then more power to ya. but me, i prefer the pre-2000 hip hop

I agree with roaches. People always thinking the world is ending and wish for the 'good ol' days". Same with rap, it is what it is and if you don't like it throw yourself off a bridge... or at least an overpass

Roaches, you've had a lot of good points in the past but I don't think you could be more wrong on this one.

Yes, there is some positive things going on right now in hip hop that tends to be overlooked. But for me, rap is on life support, and it was in criticle condition until this past weeks events. It's not entertaining anymore, it's a complete joke to the mainstream media. It's an embarrassment to me. The CNN article on the 50 Cent shooting ended by pointing out how Lil' Kim was envolved in the same thing. It's turned back to being a punchline on every late night show. How do I even try to support something like this? Everything is beats and hooks now. To me it's a slap in the face to the true fans that enjoy the music for the music.

Plus, here's my top 10 rappers, and then maybe you'll understand why it's dead to me.....
1. 2Pac - dead.
2. Eminem - last album was poor and made me evaluate his past albums and made me realize I may have over rated him.
3. Jay-Z - retired.
4. Kurupt - Signed to a label that will never release an album.
5. DMX - who the fuck knows what's going on with him.
6. Beanie Sigel - Has a case hanging over his head, album advance was poor.
7. Crooked I - Struggling to put out a debut.
8. Mac Dre - dead.
9. Kanye West - Arrogant as fuck, embarrassing to hear talk. Talented though.
10. 50 Cent - Complete head case.

That is why I think I'm done with post Jan 1st, 2005 rap, and I am going through the 5 Mic collection right now and hopefully I'll start to enjoy this shit again.

But thanks for your advice of how I should go fuck myself. It means a lot considering you clearly don't give a fuck about our opinions, and yet we should listen to you. Thank you.

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
1. 2Pac - dead.
2. Eminem - last album was poor and made me evaluate his past albums and made me realize I may have over rated him.
3. Jay-Z - retired.
8. Mac Dre - dead.
10. 50 Cent - Complete head case
Jay-z hasnt retired.
If Kanye is talented, does it matter if he's arrogant?
2pac and mac dre dead, cant do nothing about that.
Dmx retired didnt he?
Eminem has had a poor album, nearly every rapper has a poor album.
Crooked I is releasing a album on his own record label.

The rap game is far from dead, it's just on the down low for now. But don't worry about it this year there should be plenty of great albums that are going to drop. Expect big things from Crooked I, Napoleon, Hussein Fatal and many more cats I can't think of right now.

Peace

roaches

So, roaches, do you like the state hiphop is in right now? jus wondering? Im not one of those "hiphop is in trouble people" but a lotta people are, and its cool 2 hear a diff view, So yea, whats your view on it right now?
Right now, in my iTunes, I have a playlist that's about 14 hours long, full of nothing but hip-hop songs that I really really like. None of them came out before the year 2004.

If you read the lil booklet in Inspectah Deck's Movement cd i think he says something that brings up some good points that hip hop is dead.
I don't buy wack albums, so I haven't read the booklet. Maybe if you spent your money on something better you'd feel differently. If you like the Wu, Masta Killa's album last year was pretty good. Ghostface had a lot of quality shit distributed over his three major releases - his Def Jam album, The Pretty Toney B-Sides Mixtape, and Theodore Unit's 718. He also has a single out with El-P, "Hide Ya Face". It's actually a Prefuse 73 single, but El-P's remix is bonkers. I don't know a single Wu head who doesn't like it. Did you hear the live album the Wu releases last year? That was pretty dope, too.

roaches, if you like rap as a genre that focuses more on production and image rather than lyrical ability, then more power to ya. but me, i prefer the pre-2000 hip hop
If hip-hop cares more about production and image than lyrical ability, why did New York heads vote Nas as better than Jay-Z? Why did Jadakiss's jiggy "Time's Up" flop, and his more content-heavy "Why?" blow up? Why did songs about Jesus and railing against materialism become more popular than songs about working it out?

And if the only value you derive from hip-hop is what a rapper is saying, go buy a book of poetry. This is MUSIC. You know what Kool Herc did at his first party? He looped instrumentals. Coke La Rock came later.

It's not hip-hop's fault that you're bad at spending your money. Go down to the mom and pop store or the barbershop and buy some dope mixtapes instead of some glossy industy albums. DJ Drama has yet to let me down, personally.

It's an embarrassment to me. The CNN article on the 50 Cent shooting ended by pointing out how Lil' Kim was envolved in the same thing. It's turned back to being a punchline on every late night show. How do I even try to support something like this? Everything is beats and hooks now. To me it's a slap in the face to the true fans that enjoy the music for the music.
You're embarrassed at what outsiders think of you and your favorite music? Fuck that self-conscious bullshit. You want to talk about embarrassing?

Grandmaster Melle Mel, after being responsible for classics like "The Message", became a male stripper. That was a long time ago. Big Daddy Kane posed in Playgirl. "Rapper's Delight", which created hip-hop as we know it today, was the result of some bitch coming in and paying some outsiders to create a rap song so she could capitalize on the underground trend in New York. The guys she paid to do it stole their lyrics from some other rapper. Kool Herc, the creator of hip-hop, got stabbed at his own party. There's plenty of things to be embarrassed about in hip-hop, but they didn't start just now. Don't act like hip-hop just started getting embarrassing.

And really, is it any more embarrassing than the various shit performers in other genres do? I don't think anyone in hip-hop is as embarrassing as Courtney Love.

As for your favorite rappers.

1. 2Pac - dead.
But his music lives on. Raphael Saadiq's remix of "A Crooked Nigga Too" last year was dope. And it's not like he was even the best on the west coast, or the end all be all of it.

That sounds like a personal problem. The Marshall Mathers LP was great, no one take that away from Eminem. Do you like rappers similar to how Eminem used to be? Check out Cage. Check the Leak Bros's album, Waterworld, which dropped last year.

3. Jay-Z - retired.
*Bumps collaborative albums with Linkin Park, R Kelly*

Daz's new shit is good. And weren't you guys going apeshit over Roscoe's album a while back?

If you liked DMX after his second album, that's a personal problem that you and a therapist will have to deal with on your own time.

Are you kidding? That advance was great. "One Shot Deal", "Purple Rain", "Wanted", "Feel it in the Air"... all fire. And if you don't like Sigel, there's the rest of State Prop. Freeway's album is just as incredible to me today as it was when it came out. Young Chris is still criminally slept-on.

He left Death Row, has put out mixtapes, and signed a deal with Universal Records. It looks like he's making moves that will lead to an official debut. That's hardly struggling.

8. Mac Dre - dead.
Yes, and he was the only good rapper in NoCal.

Guess what. Rappers are supposed to be arrogant. Kanye West is arrogant to keep himself in the spotlight. It works, doesn't it? And if his music is good, why should you care about what he does outside of the wax? By that logic, you should hate 2Pac.

And if Kanye West is one of your top ten rappers.... no comment.

10. 50 Cent - Complete head case.
If 50 Cent ever was one of your top tenr appers... no comment.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
'Nowadays rap artists, coming half hearted.
Commercial like pop, underground like black markets
Where were you the day hip-hop died?
Is it too early to mourn? Is it too late to ride??' Talib Kweli - Too Late.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
roaches said:
Right now, in my iTunes, I have a playlist that's about 14 hours long, full of nothing but hip-hop songs that I really really like. None of them came out before the year 2004.
Could you post the list of the songs you're listening to? I don't wanna judge you, I just want to see what I'm missing, so I can enjoy hip-hop as well. Peace.

Snipes said:
I agree with roaches. People always thinking the world is ending and wish for the 'good ol' days". Same with rap, it is what it is and if you don't like it throw yourself off a bridge... or at least an overpass
couldnt have said it better myself snipes. music tastes are so biased to when you were growing up,

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Hey roaches, write an article aboutit.

7 Syns, get me an updated article and ill post that, u didnt specify in your email that it wasnt finished.

Hip hop is far from in trouble if you think it is in trouble you should seriously start looking the other way..There is plenty of dope hip hop out and still Im checkin out new shit every week my collection grows every week. That has to do with me not having that much of a listening experience and I still enjoy hip hop. The only thing that I could understand is if you said hip hop is in trouble because the elements have been forgotten..But than again they have been forgotten for so many years already so it's a useless comment.

If you think hip hop is in trouble judging from your top 10 rappers you are seriously doing something wrong. It is your top 10 favourite rappers that are in trouble not hip hop. Their creativity must have come to an end but at the same time there are so many artists out that still have that creativity and provide us with some real good music they can easily replace those artists.So I suggest you quit making top (10')s for the moment and start checking out shit you never thought you would ever listen to.
Go to the recordstore pick up an album by blah blah mc instead of that Eminem, instead of that Jay-z instead, of that old remixed album filled with old Tupac verses. If that means you will have to check out underground artists so be it but I don't wanna give it another name at the end of the day it is still Music.

That sounds like a personal problem. The Marshall Mathers LP was great, no one take that away from Eminem. Do you like rappers similar to how Eminem used to be? Check out Cage. Check the Leak Bros's album, Waterworld, which dropped last year.
Hm...Yeah you should that.. :D :D

Chronic

"While half of the critics claim it every year: "Hip-Hop's over."
Fuck you, Hip-Hop just started
It's funny how the most nostalgic cats are the ones who were never part of it" - El-P

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.