All of modern rapping* is derived from these 12:

Tito said:
Agree on Jay-Z. Wayne, Cassidy, Fabolous, MURS(lol) pretty much all the young dudes got they style from Jay-Z
Jay-Z=Kane + Slick Rick and add more flair and marketing, so those young guys really came from the classics, not hov.

roaches

Where did Outkast get their sound from?
Scarface, Ice Cube, Kane, Rakim. I know Andre also cites Q-Tip as a big influence on him.

Or how about Bone-thugs-N-Harmony?
Ice Cube. The whole harmonizing thing, supposedly they came up with that on their own, but then some people say that Eazy-E told them to bite Freestyle Fellowship.

Or Scarface?
He's on the list.

Or N.E.R.D/The Neptunes?
I'm not talking about rock bands. I'm not talking about producers. I'm talking about RAPPING.

redman, eminem, E40, beastie boys, ghostface?...i'm assuming you think nelly and mystikal don't matter...does modern day mean only who's moving units right now? where did xzibit get his style?
Beastie Boys - they don't count as far modern rapping goes. Emceeing hasn't fundamentally changed much since '86, so that's where I'd set the boundary for modern rapping.

E-40 - You're naming a California gangsta rapper and the name Ice Cube doesn't occur to you?

Ghostface - I hear Slick Rick in his cadence.

Nelly doesn't really matter to me because he's wack. What he does is on the edge of rapping. I'm sure he can be traced back to those twelve, but I'd have to listen to him to tell you from who. Please don't make me do that.

As for Mystikal... a lot of Mystikal's best shit was ghostwritten by Tim Smooth, who definitely has a Face influence. Mystikal's delivery is also obviously informed by 2Pac.

roaches said:
Scarface, Ice Cube, Kane, Rakim. I know Andre also cites Q-Tip as a big influence on him.

Ice Cube. The whole harmonizing thing, supposedly they came up with that on their own, but then some people say that Eazy-E told them to bite Freestyle Fellowship.

He's on the list.

I'm not talking about rock bands. I'm not talking about producers. I'm talking about RAPPING.

Beastie Boys - they don't count as far modern rapping goes. Emceeing hasn't fundamentally changed much since '86, so that's where I'd set the boundary for modern rapping.

E-40 - You're naming a California gangsta rapper and the name Ice Cube doesn't occur to you?

Nelly doesn't really matter to me because he's wack. What he does is on the edge of rapping. I'm sure he can be traced back to those twelve, but I'd have to listen to him to tell you from who. Please don't make me do that.

As for Mystikal... a lot of Mystikal's best shit was ghostwritten by Tim Smooth, who definitely has a Face influence. Mystikal's delivery is also obviously informed by 2Pac.

truth bout that..listening to Em's Kill You reminds me alot of somethin of Pac's

Tha_4Gotten said:
Jay-Z=Kane + Slick Rick and add more flair and marketing, so those young guys really came from the classics, not hov.
Hey Reasonable Doubt is a classic. Thats were those guys get their game from.

roaches said:

He's on the list.

He said he loved to listen to 2pac so his style might be taken abit from 2pac. And he has 3 classic albums Me against the World, All Eyez on Me, and 7 day Theory. And he is the only rapper that can get the vice president of the united states try and get people to boycott there records.

The dissing on Nelly is not justified though. I have respect for Nelly and believe what he is doing is as much hip-hop/rap as anybody today. He's Whack is not an argument, its a statement of your belief which is not truth. Its an opinion, same can be said bout 50 and so forth. Some songs on Nellyville and Country Grammer are very rap/hip-hop to me.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Some of you people are asses. Hes talking about modern MCs, so no need to mention B-Real or Beastie Boys, they arent modern, and arent really and influence on anybody today.

Roaches I agree, but I would actually remove Jay Z. He got his shit from Big, who got his from Kane. I just dont feel Jay is original enough to influence anyone on his own skills alone. I would replace Jay Z with LL Cool J (kids, if you dont remember old school LL, dont even reply telling me his is pop and wack, I KNOW this, but he used to be hot and influenced the game ALOT).

As for Nas, I think roaches is referring to Illmatic era Nas, who wasnt really influenced by anyone at that time.

2Pac - his 'thug image' is th eonly thing he left for people to take
Big Daddy Kane - yes
Bun B - NO.
Chuck D - yes
Ice Cube - yes
Jay-Z - yes
Kool G Rap - yes
KRS-One - yes
Nas - yes, a little
Rakim - yes
Scarface - no
Slick Rick - yes

alright then, if B-real doesn't 'count'....what about CANIBUS? - i don't remember ANYONE before him releasing a 200bar song...his flow is completely origional...and his rhymes??....

Alone in my room, looking thru the 32X telescope zoom
adjusting the focus of the moon
One should not assume the philosophy of David Hume
is nothing more then a subjective conclusion
What is the maximum field rate application?
the run away glaciation surrounding the ocean basin
affects the population, fluctuation
on a continuous basis but thats just the basics
The juxtaposition of Canibus's position
the precision something no other has written

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.