All of modern rapping* is derived from these 12:

Scarface - no
How the fuck are you gonna say Scarface hasn't had an influence on modern day rapping? I'd say he's had one of the biggest.. 2Pac got his whole style from The King. If 2Pac ain't modern, Beanie Sigel = east-coast Scarface. + every second southern rapper.

And i pretty much agree with the list, but i'd be happier to see Q-Tip/Pos on there, as that covers all the Commons and Talibs and Mos Defs and Little Brothers and Dilated Peoples, etc.

Matter'fact, extend the list to 14 and add Masta Ace, then you got Eminem's direct influence and a whole bunch of other similar underground battle MC's.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Bill G said:
2Pac - his 'thug image' is th eonly thing he left for people to take
Big Daddy Kane - yes
Bun B - NO.
Chuck D - yes
Ice Cube - yes
Jay-Z - yes
Kool G Rap - yes
KRS-One - yes
Nas - yes, a little
Rakim - yes
Scarface - no
Slick Rick - yes
How the fuck can you say yes to Jay Z and no to Scarface?

And 2Pac left a lot more to take than just his thug image, look at all the rappers trying to copy his flow. The way he stretched words was almost musical, etc etc.

7 Syns

roaches said:
2Pac
Big Daddy Kane
Bun B
Chuck D
Ice Cube
Jay-Z
Kool G Rap
KRS-One
Nas
Rakim
Scarface
Slick Rick

Agree/disagree? Por que?
I'd probably agree but id have to add either Biz Markie or Luke in there because they really did originate comedy hip-hop in which emcee's like Redman, Luda and Devin Tha Dude would later thrive with. If not those 2 then atleast Redman for that fact.

I'd also take Jigga out and replace him with Biggie. I mean Biggie's style might have been direct from Kane yet it's not as direct as Jigga's is. Biggie had substance more so than Kane. Plus I always thought Kane + Biggie = Jigga's style. Also remember Biggie was making hit mainstream singles in the same fashion which Jigga's formula uses.

I'd also add Ice-T, I mean you got Ice Cube and Kool G Rap both which I thought had some Ice-T in them as far as grimmey styles go. Eazy E is a debatable choice aswell, I also know neither E or Biz wrote their own shit. Still..

I'd have something more like this..

Rakim
Big Daddy Kane
KRS-One
Chuck D
Ice-T
--
Kool G Rap
Ice Cube
Tupac Shakur
Notorious B.I.G.
Slick Rick
--
Scarface
Nas
Biz Markie or Luke or Redman
--
Debate could go for Big L (<--really perfected punchlines as far as it goes in the mixtape scene these days, even if he barely touched the mixtape scene himself). Eazy E, Bun-B (<-- I see too much 'Face influence. I mean if you got Bun-B, shouldn't 8Ball be up there too? both are just as good as eachother as far as emcing goes in my view).

I seperated them from who I see as most influential to least in the most influential emcee's. If that makes any sense?

peace.

roaches

2pac - Ice cube ...
I completely agree. It's pretty obvious, actually. 2Pac brought his own innovations, but Pac wouldn't be the same Pac if it weren't for what Cube laid down beforehand.

Comments:
* If you disagree about Scarface and Bun B... listen to more southern rap.
* I'm not really stressing content or saying that every rapper since is a 100% rip. Obviously individual rappers bring their own innovations and differentiate themselves. But this "B-Real has a nasal voice and he talked about weed a lot, he's completely original!!!!" shit is for the birds.
* You can attack my list if you want, but the best replies in this thread are the ones that are seriously looking at them and debating names that could be added/subtracted for whatever reason.

Biggie vs. Jay-Z:
1. Who did Biggie have a major, direct influence on (strictly rapping)?
2. Who did Jay-Z have a major, direct influence on (strictly rapping)?

strictly rapping I have no idea but if I had to guess.I'd say Jay...because...Biggie had his style ya know his slang and shit that was just biggie I think I see more of Jay than I say of Biggie..

Really im just saying sumthing

roaches said:
I completely agree. It's pretty obvious, actually. 2Pac brought his own innovations, but Pac wouldn't be the same Pac if it weren't for what Cube laid down beforehand.

Comments:
* If you disagree about Scarface and Bun B... listen to more southern rap.
* I'm not really stressing content or saying that every rapper since is a 100% rip. Obviously individual rappers bring their own innovations and differentiate themselves. But this "B-Real has a nasal voice and he talked about weed a lot, he's completely original!!!!" shit is for the birds.
* You can attack my list if you want, but the best replies in this thread are the ones that are seriously looking at them and debating names that could be added/subtracted for whatever reason.

Biggie vs. Jay-Z:
1. Who did Biggie have a major, direct influence on (strictly rapping)?
2. Who did Jay-Z have a major, direct influence on (strictly rapping)?

if thats the case you could also say NWA as entire unit as well with alot of Pacs earlier stuff(2pacalypshe, S4MN) suchs as Holla IF You Hear Me. I believe that assumption

roaches

Why is Bun B on the list? Whats makes him so special? I have to disagree on that one.
You could make a song out of the lines Jay-Z's lifted from Bun B. I see a clear Bun B influence on Ludacris, Z-Ro, all of the Rap-a-lot second/third-stringers, and all of these Houston kids who're suddenly blowing up. Get your ass back to those albums that some dude recorded himself and sold in the barbershop he hangs out in in Gary, Indiana in 1999 and re-released in 2002 after he did a bid for strangling Lashawn for fucking up his fade.

this would be an interesting thread to do on producers, too.
Go for it. It'd be harder, though.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.