This is my thread

masta247

Staff member
No way I am ever going back to IE. I know it's constantly 1980 in Poland (I've seen the clothes) but... are you really going back to IE?
Hahah, no way. I didn't expect people to assume I was going to go back to IE. Nobody is going back to IE.
It's just that.. the new IE is even more efficient (Javascript benchmarks) and supports the HTML5 standard a little bit better than Chrome. That's why Mega's Chrome ad is funny, mentioning that no other browser gets close to Chrome in support of modern standards. New Firefox beta is not far behind, Opera is almost matching Chrome with HTML5 and was always similarly efficient and IE (10, full desktop version) is beating it on many fields, currently. It's a very arrogant and misleading ad.

Personally I wouldn't go back to IE, although Microsoft went a long way since IE6. I wouldn't blame people for using IE9 or 10, as they are pretty decent browsers (if you only browse content and don't care about security). People are so used to hating IE that they don't realize why they hate it, and why geeks said it's the browser to hate in the first place.
We should all hate users of OLD IE browsers because they're lagging the industry behind. Old IE don't support modern standards and because a lot of people still use those, web developers have to leave cool tech out of their websites. Microsoft ought to force an auto-update feature in their browsers, like Google do. BUT new IE browser support all modern standards and with all seriousness, IE10 shouldn't be the browser to hate because there's not much bad about it, it's about as good as Chrome is, but people hate it just because it's IE.

I'm not using IE10 though, I'm aware that it's not a bad browser but.. it doesn't stand out and I wouldn't want to switch to a similarly good browser that's made by Microsoft, is called IE and is the first target for potential attacks. AND people still hate it and it will take a lot of good browsers from Microsoft for people to start thinking that it might not be a terrible browser after all.

masta247

Staff member
For browser geeks, there's a browser called Maxthon that beats all other browsers performance-wise and is also the first browser to use more than 1 core at a time - actually it uses 2 cores, 2 different browser engines. It's also a cloud based browser which is a pretty cool concept.

You might want to check it out:
http://www.maxthon.com/

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Just tried it out. Renders pages fast but it's just too different from Chrome. Without the extensions. Not sure I'd use it consistently. I already have Safari (stock), Chrome (and Canary, which is my main browser), and Firefox Aurora. Way too many.

masta247

Staff member
Personally I use Opera and Chrome. I still prefer Opera for its user friendliness, UI, shortcuts and download manager - I think it's the most user friendly browser but that comes from a person who has used it since.. forever.
But.. there are some pages that work significantly better under Chrome. For example some Google services like Maps. Also, while benchmarks tend to give Opera great scores there are many circumstances under which Chrome is just faster and smoother - the javascript engine and html5 stuff work better under Chrome. They do work well under Opera but Chrome is just extra smoother.

dilla

I just wish Chrome allowed us to get under the hood of the browser a bit more. The "about:flags" feature is really just for enabling and disabling features, whereas the "about:config" feature of Firefox is much more customizable. Like limiting the size of cache and such.

On another note, I was kind of impressed with a GoPro video I saw the other day that a guy strapped it on to his dog and played fetch with him in the pool. It was real neat. I kinda want a GoPro too, and considering we don't have a working camcorder in our house, I figured what we would use it for would be what the GoPro does, but even better. Well, I would use it for that. I think the rest of the family is content with the cameras on their phones, which they also barely use.

Wanna strap one to my dogs, maybe do some runs in my car..... Of the neighborhood. Just create memories that way. I'm certainly not going to be skydiving or cycling around, but at $200, I think I can do some neat stuff with it.

dilla

Well, I think I might get a GoPro, and then a sub-$200 camera for shooting less "crazy" stuff the GoPro would be used for. Any suggestions on a decent point and shoot with HD video as well?

dilla

So GoPro and then cell phone for everything else? I guess, but I just figured with all these 12.1+MP point and shoots out there, there was something about them. I guess not.

I did some research on the GoPros, and it seems a good portion of the people complain about software issues with it. Now I'm kinda of wary. I was gonna get it from either Amazon or Fry's. Wonder what the return policies on these sites are regarding electronics like cameras.....If something were to go wrong.

People are bashing GoPro's customer service.

ARon

Ive returned things through amazon with no problem. Its easy, you print out your shipping label and take it to a ups store and that's it. I'd make sure you buy from an amazon trusted seller or whatever they're called.

I feel fairly confident saying cell phone cameras are up to par with cheaper point and shoots. Def not a DSLR or anything. Especially if you're just going to end up putting em on Facebook or instagram or some site like that

dilla

Well, not for Facebook or anything like that. It's more for home use, so basically same thing, but it's not even for other people. More just family stuff. We haven't really been "creating memories" so it's gonna be a mixture of pics and video. The GoPro is, obviously, for a bit more rugged use. Might strap it on to the car for a scenic drive. I saw someone put one on a dog and kinda document its unique perspective. Just shit like that.

ARon

Yeah I've seen that vid. It is cool. The car thing reminds me of those BMW euro delivery videos you see, you'd be halfway there ha. My friend has a gopro that we use quite a bit for random bullshit adventures and snowboarding, they're cool

dilla

Yeah those European delivery ones are somewhat the reason they caught my eye. Just cars in general. I'm sure I'll find some neat uses for it. Only thing that worries me is people complaining about the software and set up initially. I just hope.I'm lucky or that these people were just simply too stupid to use this thing. And that the GoPros are actually decent

But these reviews were in both amazon and Best Buy's website.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
so, wrath of caine is underwhelming. damn shame.

on the plus side, I haven't been able to stop bumping this track:

It hit the net on a Friday (at least the blogs I peruse). I heard it at a club on Saturday. That's fast.

dilla

so, wrath of caine is underwhelming. damn shame.

on the plus side, I haven't been able to stop bumping this track:

It hit the net on a Friday (at least the blogs I peruse). I heard it at a club on Saturday. That's fast.

Friday? The hell? It came out last night for the rest of us, how'd they get it Friday?

dilla

Turns out the GoPro negative reviews were from people that were most likely misinformed. Firmware issues have been fixed, supposedly, and the camera is pretty reliable now. This is from the GoPro subreddit I was directed to from another forum. So I think I might bite.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online