The Official NBA Thread 2011-12

Lakers' Jackson expects to be back next season

By Scott Howard-Cooper, for NBA.com
Posted Mar 26 2010 3:19PM

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Phil Jackson hopes to return next season as Lakers coach and does not anticipate that his return will be sidetracked by health issues or negotiations on a new lucrative contract, he told NBA.com Friday.

Jackson stopped short of saying an extension to remain in Los Angeles is a certainty, wanting to keep open his options until he talks with doctors after the season. And he conceded there is a lure to retiring. But the most-decorated coach in NBA history, with a record 10 championships, is clearly feeling better than a year ago and has been in good spirits all season.

Asked if he thinks he will be back with a new deal in 2010-11, Jackson said without hesitation: "Yeah."

"The wear and tear of a season, I think, affects everybody, the travel and whatever else you have to do for an extended time," he said at the Ford Center after a Lakers shootaround in preparation for the game against the Thunder later Friday. "But, all that being said, I'm as mobile as I've ever been in the last three years. That helps. I'm dealing with less arthritic elements that are painful things going on as you age. But there are still considerations as to the duration that I will coach, simply because I have to stay attuned to that.

"I look at something that happened like George Karl [the Nuggets coach who has been spending time away from the team while undergoing cancer treatment] and I just think it's a shame. You can't predict or project that as a possible situation, but he's going to miss part of the season and it's going to affect his team. I wouldn't want to put a franchise in that position when there's young healthy guys that can do the job."

But, unlike a year ago at this time, he does not expect that health will be a determining factor.

"Probably not," Jackson said. "I go at the end of the year for a medical checkup now. There are a couple issues I deal with, and if they're all 'go', then I've cleared myself. If it's a warning situation, then I'll have to have another consideration.

"I don't even think it's going to be a financial issue. It's going to be an issue about spending the remaining time of my healthful years doing basketball or doing other things that now are possible for me, that I can do that I wasn't able to do in the past, which is fly fish, climb mountains, ride motorcycles, and all those things that have been unavailable to me for about the last eight, nine years."

The update comes as the Lakers have reclaimed control of what had became a race with the Nuggets and Mavericks for the best record in the West and home-court advantage in every L.A. series until at least the Finals. The seven-game winning streak heading into Friday night pushed the lead to a comfortable 6 ½ games, muting concerns, at least temporarily, about the defending champions lacking proper focus as the postseason approaches.

Of course, L.A. didn't have the proper focus in the playoffs last season and still survived the first round against Utah and a serious scare from Houston in the second, before playing much better in the conference finals against Denver and the championship series against Orlando. Order has been restored once again, and Jackson is hoping to continue the stability into next season.

"I think the Lakers want to continue this," he said. "I think the way you finish the season has a lot to do with it. Dr. [Jerry] Buss [the owner] went out on a limb this year and risked financial security or going into the black for signing players, and this is a franchise that hasn't ever lost money. They've always been able to say, 'We made money this last year,' and that's somewhat a matter of pride for him. Signing these players just about eliminated that, unless we go deep into the playoffs, and we want to do that."

[YOUTUBE]XpW4UGZYrHQ[/YOUTUBE]

lol

durant and westbrook combo is sick. honestly i feel durant should win the mvp. he scores without any effort and his squad to the league on by surprise. they gave all the big teams trouble.

lol i do the samething when my team is gettin destroyed

Kobe

Man, the Lakers got plenty of their fans ticked after that game. Maybe they're just content to be the best in the west and, are not looking for that home court advantage in the finals. Or is it that they think the Cavs won't make the finals anyway? (teehee) I honestly thought they were going to win the game vs Thunder. Courtesy of Forum Blue & Gold:

Well, well, well. The Lakers really know how to take the wind out of the sails of a winning streak. Three days after having one of their better wins of the season, the Lakers come through with one of their worst games in recent memory. The closest comparison is probably the Bobcats game that was in the middle of the Lakers three game losing streak, but that game was the 2nd night of a back to back and was at least in the 13-18 point range for most of the night. This game, against the Thunder, was just plain awful. It was flush down the toilette bad. I immediately erased it from DVR so that it didn’t infect my cable box. There were so many things wrong with this game that this recap is really a postmortem.
That Chris Paul tape, I'm so cracked up about him catching the ball when it's thrown to him. If they managed to do that in one take, CP3 has to be the best PG of all time :D

I think a lot of people forget that Lakers success ever since the first championship of the 3 peat has everything to do with Phil Jackson, then the players on the team. I think the organization is headed for a number of glum years after he leaves, then when Kobe leaves. They need to keep signing him on for as long as he feels he can get the job done. Jerry Buss, on a recent interview.

Q: There was a claim in a recent Internet story that, because of the failure of the Lakers to offer Phil Jackson a contract extension to this point, there is a tension among members of the Buss family. Is that true?

A: We really want to get through the year and then take a deep breath and see where we are. If I were to go to Phil right now and say, "Will you coach next year?" he'd say, "Well, let's wait until the end of the year and see how I feel." So, I don't think it causes any tension. I know I have to wait until season's end before a discussion begins.
Lebron is an awesome player but, when he makes statements like this:

"If I really wanted to," James said, "if I really wanted to be the scoring [champion] every single year -- every single year -- I could really do it. But it doesn't matter."
that's just pure cockiness.

^it is cocky statement but i think its true. all he has to do is drive the ball. he'll either make the lay and/or get fouled in the process. he sits back at times tryin to get his assist number up lol.

Kobe

I came across an article talking about this basketball shoe. It's made by a company called Athletic Propulsion Labs. The shoe is aptly called Concept 1. So, the shoe utilizes Load ‘N Launch technology (sounds like something that guy chasing the Road Runner would use) to help return energy during play and increase the wearer’s vertical. According to their website, the shoes have provided as much as 3.5 inches of additional vertical leap to athletes wearing the shoes.

The shoe is worth..........................................three hundred dollars ($300):eek:h:

So there is no NBA face attached to this shoe and, no one really knows too much about it. I'm 6ft tall and after some good stretching I'm able to dunk. When playing its always a lay up. If this shoe adds what it claims it does, then I'd be dunking each and every time I drove to the hoop. Wouldn't buy it anyway, to damn expensive.

Gimmick or legit? Here's the website APL Basketball Shoes | Concept 1 Black | Athletic Propulsion Labs Men’s Footwear

i wouldnt pay 300 for sneakers. its so expensive its like you wanna keep the shoe in mint condition or at least i would. im sure some sneakers help jumping higher but added 4in is crazy.

ive never dunked lol unless the rim is at 9ft. no athleticism in my fam or height lol.

what a 3rd quarter by the spurs. demolished the celtics. manu is playing like hes one of the top guards in the league. spurs lookin better without parker with hill steppin in.

man, that KG and Ray Allen trade only got them one ring. i think their franchise is gonna be in another decade+ slump. would you trade majority of your young talent + draft picks for a ring?

Kobe

Straight up, Manu showed he isn't one to be underestimated. That block was pure defense, KG knows better for now.

I don't know about trading young talent for a ring. Sometimes, it's better to just sit back and see what a young team can achieve. Then by adding bits and pieces, maybe they can win a championship. If you want instant success, go the Celtics way.

^yea man that would also be my approach. build a young team like say the blazers or the thunder and add some experienced players/vets.

celtics will most likely be stuck with the same core for the next 3-4 years and their core players are old excluding rondo.

Kobe

The Nets beat the Spurs with Ginobli & Parker out, capped by Duncan having a poor shooting night. Over to you Yak :D

So they get 10 wins & the fans celebrate like they just signed Lebron on their roster. I read an article saying the Nets CEO, was to have lunch with a fan that wore a brown paper bag over their head to a Nets game. I wonder how that will go.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online