The Official NBA Thread 2011-12

You think that's bad? They are banning shoes now for the Pistons...

Arnie Kander, the Detroit Pistons' longtime strength and conditioning coach, says he's never seen as many ankle, knee and groin injuries as he has this season. And he's not kidding. From opening night to mid-December, three different Pistons guards — Richard Hamilton(notes), Ben Gordon(notes) and Will Bynum(notes) — all missed time thanks to buggered ankles. What's that sayin'? Two's a coincidence, three's a trend.

So, like any good NBA trainer who moonlights as a private investigator, Kander donned his deerstalker hat and overcoat, smoked a pipe, and quickly figured out that it was a specific brand of sneakers — *COUGH* Nike Hyperizes *COUGH* — that were making the Pistons' ankles go lame.

Case closed; shoes banned.

"I'm not going to name the brand of shoe it was [Ed. note: Woops!], but it has been banned from our locker room and the guys aren't allowed to wear it," Kander said. "These shoes had taken most of the support out of the sides and it was a lighter shoe. Most basketball shoes weigh between 1.4 and 1.7 pounds."

"These shoes were weighing 0.8 pounds, which was way too light as far as side support. Since we've banned the shoe, knock on wood, we haven't had any ankle sprains. Hopefully, the good Lord willing, we won't have any more and we can finish the season healthy and see what these guys can really do.
Kander, who once referred to current basketball shoes as glorified "moccasins," takes his players ankles very serious. In fact, the Pistons actually fine members of the team who don't tape their ankles because it has shown to be so effective in preventing injury. Kander's hardcore — his ankles have mustaches.
Oh, and this is just an amazing move. Haha.

[youtube]I3pIsA0Q0d0[/youtube]

Kobe

Unbelievable that the Nets rocked the Celtics. That was seriously not meant to happen :D

ESPN are trying to build up a Denver/L.A rivalry. I ain't falling for that media trick just to get me to watch the playoffs. I say the only rivals the Lakers have are the Celtics and, that's it. The other teams are just part of the battle to get out of the West.

ARon

What do you mean they are trying to build up the rivalry, they see its great basketball and these two teams are the best in the west, how could they not promote it. Its turning into a rivalry on the court too, they are going at it physically

I'm thinking whoever represents the east is going to get lucky if LA and Denver do face eachother in the conference finals. That series is gonna be fucking good and hard on the players, might effect em a little. Then again they'll be used to playing that much more intense b ball. We'll see what happens

Kobe

Just because two teams e.g Lakers and Nuggets are good at what they do, it doesn't mean they are rivals. (Disclaimer: Lakers Kings was over before it even reached warming point and, has been linked to irregularities).

To me, in sports, a rivalry comes up after of one team or individual prevents another from achieving a championship. Sure, there are exceptions which are obvious like two teams from the same home town or area. If the Lakers and Nuggets reach the Western conference finals a minimum of six times in a decade, and they face it off to get to the NBA finals. I would call that a rivalry.

As of now, like I said earlier, its just a battle of teams trying to get out of the west. Arguably the best two teams in the West. Who knows, they may even both get knocked out in the first round.

Like we all know, the Celtics own the Lakers 9-2 in the NBA finals. The Celtics won the first 8 encounters in a row and again owned the Lakers in 2008. When we talk about the Lakers and Spurs, that was a rivalry but, on a different level. They were the two best teams in the West winning the championship at times when they were dominating the conference. Rarely did it result to anything like Spurs/Suns which was a real rivalry.

This ESPN scheme is similar to the way they hyped up a "Cavs vs. Lakers" 2009 NBA finals. They seem to be getting people believing a non existent rivalry, which is a sign of the media doing what they are good at.

^That's true. Well said, but the NBA is more rigged than we thought. Especially after Donaghy got caught gambling, saying the mafia was involved, etc.

The Lakers/Denver go at it harder than past times. I noticed they're more physical out there than before. Bodies are flying all over the place, and they're going at it hardddd. Everyone knows Denver can beat the Lakers. Maybe that's why it's a "rivalry."

It's a good thing the Cavaliers are likely to re-sign Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes) because it's looking like Shaquille O'Neal(notes) may be done for the rest of the regular season with an injured right thumb, according to the New York Daily News.

O'Neal is supposedly getting surgery Monday on the thumb, which apparently has a tear in it, which will require 6-8 weeks of recuperation. There are only seven weeks left in the season.

That's an average of 12 points, 6.7 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks per game that the Cavs see disappearing. Coach Mark Brown says there are a few games so far this season the team wouldn't have won without O'Neal and says he's been particularly effective against the Orlando Magic and the Los Angeles Lakers.
Buh-bye Cavs.

yak pac fatal

cavs are fine thou, they wont so any real competition til the confrence finals

Sixers Notes: Source: Iverson done for season

76ers Notes
Allen Iverson will not return to the 76ers this season, a source close to the team said after a 126-105 loss to the Orlando Magic last night.

An official announcement is expected from the Sixers within the next two days.

Iverson has not played with the team since a Feb. 20 loss to the Bulls in Chicago, when he left to care for his sick 4-year-old daughter.

Since Iverson took his second leave from the team, it had been rumored that he was not likely to return.

Iverson, 34, averaged 13.9 points and 4.1 assists in 25 games with the Sixers, including 24 starts.

In December, the 14-year veteran signed a one-year prorated deal with the Sixers for the veterans' minimum.

After Iverson parted ways with the Memphis Grizzlies in November, he briefly retired before rejoining the Sixers.
career is over?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.