The Official NBA Thread 2011-12

37 Reasons Why the Lakers Will Repeat This Season:

1. Jordan Farmer changed his number. To this one. The one he wore at Taft High. Does that not show he's rededicated himself to being No. 1? That's one way to look at it.

2. Derek Fisher wrote an autobiography this offseason called "Character Driven: Life, Lessons and Basketball." It concludes: "The high I've experienced since we closed out the (Orlando) Magic (in last year's NBA Final) hasn't worn off ... I'm driven and I see no sign of that changing. My eye is firmly fixed on the rim and no opportunity is going to pass me by."

3. Trevor Ariza was holding everyone back.

4. Luke Walton is tired of being mistaken for another Luke Walton - a retired U.S. Olympic oarsman, also from San Diego. Google it.

5. It fits into Larry David's story arc on the current season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" - go back to Episode 3 where the guys from NBC gave him seats to a Lakers game, but he was up in the 300 level at Staples Center. Where he couldn't trip Shaq.

6. Adam Morrison, with the tight haircut, has dedicated himself to making Lakers fans forget they've ever heard of Vlad Radmanovich.

7. Lamar Odom, knowing the cameras will be on him during his every move, has renewed Hollywood reality-show credibility at stake.

8. Jack Nicholson hasn't been in a movie since "The Bucket List." On his real bucket list: One more Lakers title for a season-seat holder since 1967.

9. Four games against the Clippers during the regular Learn the trick season. Four aut-o-matic clicks in the win column without having to check into the scorer's table.

10. The Lakers only have to play the Charlotte Bobcats twice this season - Feb. 3 (home) and March 5 (away).

11. Phil Jackson broke the tie last year with Red Auerbach for most career NBA coaching titles. He has 10. Why not turn it up to 11?

12. George Karl still coaches the Denver Nuggets.

13. Mark Cuban's best player is still a tall gawky German guy.

14. Shannon Brown is still the fastest guy off the bench when he gets called into a game. Hear that, Rondo?

15. Yao Ming ... MIA.

16. Pau Gasol can afford to sit out the start of the regular season if he so chooses. "Whether he makes it or doesn't make it, I'm not worried," Jackson says. That's confidence.

17. Andrew Bynum, named by Forbes.com as the "most-overpaid" player in the NBA, seems to be ready, willing and able to perform. In October, November and December. Check back in 2010.

18. Listen ... the San Antonio Spurs' roster just got another day older.

19. Last season's victory in the Finals against a Mickey Mouse franchise like Orlando, in existence only 19 seasons, doesn't count.

20. Sasha Vujacic is angling to getting Sacha Baron Cohen courtside seats this year ... next to him.

21. Josh Powell has it figured out: 60 games (and one start) at 11 minutes a pop for the Lakers has a bigger upside than 65 games (and 25 starts) at 19 minutes a pop for the Clippers.

22. Trainer Gary Vitti has hoarded all available H1N1 flu shots.

23. The Lakers are so good, they apparently don't need Tony Gaffney, an undrafted rookie who was waived by the team over the weekend.

24. Kobe Bryant ... where do we start?

25. Kobe has four rings. So does Shaq. So does Tim Duncan. One more, and Ocho-Times-Three has cinco, the most among active players. Bring on the braggadocio. (Sorry, D-Fish would also have five if the Lakers win this year, so ... he must be traded at some point).

26. Kobe's latest trade demand was again denied by Mitch Kupchak.

27. Replacement refs would have thrown Kobe out at least once every four games. Regular refs are back, and respectfully tune out his whining, knowing where their bread is buttered in the big picture.

28. Golden State's Stephen "Kobe Killer" Jackson hasn't learned to shut up.

29. DJ Mbenga won't get blocked trying to enter the arena.

30. It was 30 years ago when Jerry Buss purchased this franchise (plus the Forum, the Kings and a big ol' ranch) from Jack Kent Cooke for the lump sum of $67.5 mil. It was, at the time, the biggest transaction in sports history. The payoff: Nine NBA titles, and 14 NBA Finals appearances, in 29 seasons.

31. It was, like, forever years ago when Jeanie Buss started dating Phil Jackson (which led to Jerry West's departure). And still she has no ring. Yet she perseveres. If only for an appearance with him in a T-Mobile commercial.

32. Magic Johnson is still part owner. No matter what Isiah Thomas has to say about it behind everyone's back.

33. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is still a part-time coach.

34. Shaquille O'Neal is still in the NBA as a part-time player with Cleveland, but back to wearing No. 33. Like it matters.

35. Sports Illustrated has forecast a Celtics victory over the Lakers in the final. Jinx!

36. Let's face it: The NBA wants it to happen.

37. Ron Artest, the new pink elephant in the room, said before deciding on joining the Lakers he considered playing for Olympiacos or Panathinaikos, the two biggest teams in Greece. Living in L.A. already must seem Greek to him. Maybe that's good. The Lakers can pay him in Euros, and it doesn't go against the salary cap. And if he's daring enough to go up in the stands during a skirmish, he's more likely to run into someone like Michael Clarke Duncan.

hahaha, they got some nice ones in there.

at least odom don't have her whole name on there. Otherwise he's fucked.

First initial is ok, so if he breaks up with her, he can find another chick who's name starts with a K, and everything's set.

Snowman

i dvr'd the game last night gonna relax and watch it here in a bit. i know Lakers won, im a first shifter but i stayed up and watched the ring ceremony last night. Very Nice btw... surprised to see Morrison got a ring. he wasnt even on the playoff roster. that sucks Griffin might miss his first 20 games of the year. i like the Laker championship warmups they were wearing last night. i heard EJ talkin about anyone can order em at the NBA store.

the wizards got 1 under their belt, 33 more roaches. thats still a long way to go. and Lamar is retarted for gettin the *K* tattoo.

roaches

the wizards got 1 under their belt, 33 more roaches.
i've got a brand new funnel and two queso crunchwraps marinating in a glass of guinness under a heat lamp waiting for you, boy.

last night was fantastic... i'm not discussing the team until after the first home game, though.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.