Sad: Hip Hop is almost dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtsyGirl

Their only underground because they dont get enough exposure, so if people started shinning light on those artists they might be able to sell more. Anyway you cant expect a bunch of teenagers who's favourite song at the moment is Holla Back Girl to understand the technicals of Hip Hop. Your never going to have a loyal fan base in the mainstream arena who care about keeping a culture breathing.

I agree with some of the stuff your saying like artists aren't as creative but i dont believe hip hop, or rap is dead yet. I think it has a lot of a way to go before it goes out. If you put a record on that is from '95 and a record from '05 you will see that the songs from '95 are more creative and different. Like most of the rap today is pretty much the same. Like Ying Yang Twins, or LIl John, It all sounds the same to me.

Xerostoma said:
If you say that hiphop is dying then I'm telling you that you are looking in the wrong places.

"While half of the critics claim it every year: "Hip hop's over."
FUCK YOU, hip hop just started
It's funny how the most nostalgic cats are the ones who were never part of it" -El-P
I must be looking in the wrong places too then, because I agree wholeheartedly with Tonio. I've been saying for about 3 years now that rap is almost dead. In my eyes, rap music hit a peak of popularity between the years of 91-96. That's when Dre, Snoop, Pac, Daz, Kurupt, Warren G and all the West Coast guys were running the game. Nobody realized it at the time, but the deaths of Pac and Biggie was when the slide began. I'm not necessarily saying their deaths resulted in the slow death of the music, but it's about when the slide started.

To put my finger on the exact moment rap REALLY started taking a dip, look to when Master P went from the underground of N.O. to the biggest rapper in the mainstream. He was the fakest rapper out at the time, yet the #1 rapper. Since then, rap has been 90% of exactly what you described, artists only doing shit to get them paid and not because they want to do it. I remember watching Nas' "Driven" episode on VH-1. He was sitting in the back of this limo talking on a cell phone to someone that Nas later revealed was an associate of Corona. They wanted to offer him a commercial spot that they said would turn into a string of spots if the commercial went over well. He turned the offer down because he said that he knows little kids look up to him and he "feels a responsibility" to be a role model and he didn't think it would be right to let 12 year olds who listen to his music see him in a beer commercial telling people how you should drink beer. That right there is the definition of real.

However, when you go on the TV and you've always been known as a "bad influence", people were holding rallies where they took 1,000's of your CD's and smashed them, you're known for your extreme abundance of pot smoking, you've been accused of giving girls Ecstacy to get them naked, and you claim to be a Rollin' 20 Crip...you do not do a commercial for fabric softener.

Jason when did we 4get to tell you your opinion does not count?

You can't be taken seriously because you didn't know the difference between rap and hip hop...

artisticgurl said:
The quality slide in popular rap happened when money became more important than the music.
Exactly! And Any well thinking head knows that....Money rules the world...and rims and bitches make you popular...

Still if you think hip hop is dying you are certainly looking in the wrong places...Go to the recommendation thread check those artists out and come back and say hip hop is wack...

ArtsyGirl

Why do members of this board have a crush on Jason_G?
Its like when girls and boys hit each other when they're young, its a form of flirting. Jason watch ur ass!!
Still if you think hip hop is dying you are certainly looking in the wrong places...Go to the recommendation thread check those artists out and come back and say hip hop is wack...
I dont think Hip Hop is dead ;)

artisticgurl said:
Its like when girls and boys hit each other when they're young, its a form of flirting. Jason watch ur ass!!

I dont think Hip Hop is dead ;)
NO u dumb slut you don;t know shit...I wasnt even talking to you i agreed with you...I don't have a crush on jason this dude is just fucking stupid....If you don't believe me look at his posts and threads b4 you judge me....

Im sick of being fucking mentioned in the same sentence with this 28 year old faggot....who only knows shit about eminem....yeah he was born b4 me and he did get into hip hop b4 but damn i remember i had to skool this guy when he asked what the difference is between rap and hip hop....

He should be banned for fucking the entire vibe on this board....

and shit u better believe I have been quiet ..I even tried to talk with this 28 year old kid..but he didn't want ''peace''....he chose to diss me...

Ban this guy or you stay here talking to him about something he has no knowledge of....

IT is always hurts dont diss jason hurts let jason go...I let him go and the muthafucka is dissin me!!! but its ok hurts is only 17 hurts is a clown...take me as serious as you take this or confront him like yall would confront me...cuz everybody knows theres TB gossip bout this guy....

This guy did not only manage to fuck up members he fucked up former admins and mods too..So please take his cock out of ur throat...and start lookin at the facts b4 u say sumthing bout me....

And don't think I didnt try to tell him in a normal way...to check out some new shit....
I even pm'd this guy music..but he didnt want it..he ignored me instead....

I tried everything and still ppl tell me to leave him the fuck alone....

roaches

Hey wise guy, who is your agent? Who told you how much I know about Hip Hop?

Maybe I got over 1000 albums and you dont know, maybe I am working as a Dj and you dont know, maybe its my biggest hobby and you dont know, but who cares, it doesnt matter?
Just because you have a 15-inch dick doesn't mean you're a urologist. Just because you spent money on hip-hop 1,000 times doesn't mean you know shit about it.

And if you're a DJ, well, then you really should know better. Unless you're one of the wack ones.

If ya cant see whats goin on, you`re damn blind. Im not content with only these minority underground tapes. The Original rap should grab the mic of the mainstream back! I dont care what those "wise" hip hop heads say. When the day comes, where the underground is dead, they can stick their old mixtapes in their anus and then they will learn that the underground is labile/instable and never was and never will be a solid genre of music.
What is the Original Rap? Do you want Herc and Bam to throw some more parties and loop breaks and have motherfuckers yell over them? That's the real original rap.

The og rap as it is today, I guess you mean you want us to go back to Sugarhill. Great, let's go back to when an R&B singer/songwriter whose career was over hired a bouncer at a club to get some of his friends together and steal another guy's rhyme book and rap over it on an OBVIOUS DISCO SAMPLE.

You're a fucking idiot. I hate to pull this card, but what does someone sitting in Germany know about what's going on in hip-hop and especially the various underground scenes? About as much as I know about what's going on with fucking Kraftwerk or something.

You don't know shit. The underground is about to be forgotten and is falling into obscurity? Mike Jones sold over 180,000 copies of his album in the first week. He'll be platinum before Nas. I hear Lil Flip shouting out underground legends like Fat Pat and DJ Screw on a song that I hear on the radio on a regular basis. Oh yeah, and the record company that put out that song is the venerable underground, Rap-a-lot (but who the fuck do they have? Nobody knows who Scarface is.). The guy whose record it is? Pimp C. Going gold for him was probably the same as going diamond was for Outkast. I've never him on the radio talking about sipping lean in his cup or not stopping until whitey pays him. Everybody's forgotten "Big Pimpin", that's right.

You're right, these underground motherfuckers need to stop wasting time and get themselves some recognition! That guy who put out "Bia Bia" and "I Don't Give a Fuck"... what was that guy thinking, languishing on indie-ass TVT. MF Doom needs to quit - The New Yorker will never write an article about some guy who puts out his indie records on a different label for every release. And way back in the early '90s... what was this Rakeem cat thinking, getting his group to put out some shit about protecting necks and terrorizing jams like troops in Pakistan independently? And what about Percy Miller? Ice Cream Man was kinda hot, but he'll never put out a sound that dominates the hip-hop landscape for a couple of years by deciding to turn his record store into a label. The same goes for those Cash Money motherfuckers, they can put out It's All On U and Chopper City and Get it How U Live or whatever. Jay-Z's never gonna hop on their remix. And why the fuck are they letting the kid of some bitch the label owner used to fuck rap? No one's ever gonna care about him. He's not gonna grow older and set the hip-hop community on fire with some mixtapes that he puts out himself for fun, fuck that.

Big Jaz's hypeman, did you hear about him? He needs to get his shit together, too. He's starting his own record label instead of signing to a major. He'll never go platinum!

TONIO1986: WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

ArtsyGirl

one mc on dj said:
NO u dumb slut you don;t know shit...I wasnt even talking to you i agreed with you...I don't have a crush on jason this dude is just fucking stupid....If you don't believe me look at his posts and threads b4 you judge me....

Im sick of being fucking mentioned in the same sentence with this 28 yeard old faggot....who only knows shit about eminem....yeah he was born b4 me and he did get into hip hop b4 but damn i remember i had to skool this guy when he asked what the difference is between and hip hop....

He should be banned for fucking the entire vibe on this board....

and shit u better believe I have been quiet ..I even tried to talk with this 28 year old kid..but he didn't want ''peace''....

Ban this guy or you stay here talking to him about something he has no knowledge of....

IT is always hurts dont diss jason hurts let jason go...I let him go and the muthafucka is dissin me!!! but its ok hurts is only 17 hurts is a clown...take me as serious as you take this or confront him like yall would confront me...cuz everybody knows theres TB gossip bout this guy....

This guy did not only manage to fuck up members he fucked up former admins and mods too..So please take his cock out of ur throat...and start lookin at the facts b4 u say sumthing bout me....

Wow :eek: you need to calm down. I see what happens I've seen Jason post some stupid shit and I've seen him post shit I've seen countless others post. But whats different is he has become the person everyone can take the piss of and ruin perfectly good threads. He may say stupid shit but I'm sick of threads being ruined because people want to be childish. If you dont like him why waste your time on him?

Nut

If you're talking about mainstream rap (the shit you see on TV and shit) then YES !!
If you're talking about all rap (including underground etc.) then NO !!

artisticgurl said:
Wow :eek: you need to calm down. I see what happens I've seen Jason post some stupid shit and I've seen him post shit I've seen countless others post. But whats different is he has become the person everyone can take the piss of and ruin perfectly good threads. He may say stupid shit but I'm sick of threads being ruined because people want to be childish. If you dont like him why waste your time on him?
Well ppl used to diss him like that it is no longer like tgat....
Now it is he who ruins threads..
well don't believe me if ya dont want to...He is the one that is childish...I know that sounds like im blaming him...But i cant sit here and post and pretend like nothing happened...

He doesn't believe ne 1 but the ppl he shouts out in his sig...the rest of us are irrelevant...

I am fucking hip hop fan and see this guy talking about nas...while he hasnt even heard enough to talk about him...

This guy is a fucking joke and so are his threads or the threads he posts in...They are most of the time removed to LIFE or get closed...
and lately it has been his fault...too bad he doesnt break ne rules....

I gotta give him credit 4 that..

Is Hurts STILL talking shit about me? That dude stalks me, I swear to God. He knows I have him on ignore yet people are still telling me how he's responding to my posts, and if he doesn't, he finds a way to talk about me.

It's real sad.

i agree somewhat, i think the art and originality of hip hop is struggling but its bringin in more money than it ever did before soooo yeah

and stop fuckin mentioning the underground, Underground isnt gonna carry hip hop by itself, i aint dissing underground cuz most of the shit i listen to is underground.

LOL now that we are off topic again...

I honestly tried to help this guy...I even posted up mixtapes 4 him ( who later went down).....he didnt want em but he asked 4 mixtapes tho LOL...he just said fuck you...it's fucking amazing that ppl ignore that shit but the moment i say something they all got a comment ready...

sorry carry on...

ArtsyGirl

jason_g_718 said:
You are 100% correct. But that begs the question, when do you think that happened?
Well without giving it much thought right now I'd say around '98-99. When Puffy and Ma$e were around and Master P and I dare to say the way Pac flaunted the whole money thing while he was on Death Row. Once people saw that shit it opened the flood gates.

I ain't really care. You can think that if you want. I've given up on trying to convince people that hip hop isn't dead. You can sit there complaining, or you can stop listening to hip hop altogether, i don't care. Hip hop doesn't care either. It doesn't need nor want you. Listening to hip hop isn't a right, it's a privilege.

I've also stopped comparing now hip hop to the "old school", the "golden age", whatever you wanna call it. Then was then and now is now. People change, they retire, they die, they change priorities.

You sit there complaining, i stay cruising to my DJ Quik, my Dipset, my Lil' Wayne, my Just Blaze, my Kanye, partying to my G-Unit, my Fabolous, my Jay-Z, my Lil' Jon and chilling to my Devin, my Common, my Little Brother. I think i'll take my hip hop experience, thanks.

hip hop just started
Come back in 50 years and talk about if it's dead.

Kareem

Tonio1986 said:
Hey wise guy, who is your agent? Who told you how much I know about Hip Hop?

Maybe I got over 1000 albums and you dont know, maybe I am working as a Dj and you dont know, maybe its my biggest hobby and you dont know, but who cares, it doesnt matter?

If ya cant see whats goin on, you`re damn blind. Im not content with only these minority underground tapes. The Original rap should grab the mic of the mainstream back! I dont care what those "wise" hip hop heads say. When the day comes, where the underground is dead, they can stick their old mixtapes in their anus and then they will learn that the underground is labile/instable and never was and never will be a solid genre of music. :mad:

i agree with you as well, i wont say hip hop is dead but definatley dying, the reason most these cats disagree is cause their too young to remember what the golden area of hip hop was, no offense to ya'll, yes the underground is where "real" hip hop is now, but the underground cant hold hip hop down, 10 years ago i didnt have to "Search" for real hip hop, it was right there, mainstream,2pac, eazy-e, dpg, Biggie so on an so forth then came the eara of crap, all the way from Master p to Yin Yang Twins, who have absolutely no valid message in the garbage they pawn off as "hip hop". Name off how many artists are keeping it real today, compared to 10, 11, 12 years ago, look at hip hop back then an look at it now, it sucks its crap, like i said we shouldnt have to "Search" for it but its a sad state of hip hop we liven in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.