Rolling Stone Honors Rappers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Official List

Here's the official list from Rolling Stone Magazine.

They selected one voter per artist to write a 5 paragraph article on why that artist is such a legend and so forth. So, that's why after every artists name it says like "by 50 Cent".

1) The Beatles by Elvis Costello

2) Bob Dylan by Robbie Robertson

3) Elvis Presley by Bono

4) The Rolling Stones by Steven Van Zandt

5) Chuck Berry by Joe Perry

6) Jimi Hendrix by John Mayer

7) James Brown by Rick Rubin

8) Little Richard by Little Richard

9) Aretha Franklin by Jerry Wexler

10) Ray Charles by Van Morrison

11) Bob Marley by Wyclef Jean

12) The Beach Boys by Lindsey Buckingham

13) Buddy Holly by John Mellencamp

14) Led Zeppelin by Dave Grohl

15) Stevie Wonder by Elton John

16) Sam Cooke by Art Garfunkel

17) Muddy Watters by Billy Gibbons

18) Marvin Gaye by Smokey Robinson

19) The Velvet Underground by Julian Casablancas

20) Bo Diddley by Iggy Pop

21) Otis Redding by Steve Cropper

22) U2 by Chris Martin

23) Bruce Springsteen by Jackson Browne

24) Jerry Lee Lewis by Moby

25) Fats Domino by Dr. John

26) The Ramones by Lenny Kaye

27) Nirvana by Vernon Reid

28) Prince by Ahmir Thompson

29) The Who by Eddie Vedder

30) The Clash by The Edge

31) Johnny Cash by Kris Kristofferson

32) Smokey Robinson and the Miracles by Bob Seger

33) The Everly Brothers by Paul Simon

34) Neil Young by Flea

35) Michael Jackson by Antonio "LA" Reid

36) Madonna by Britney Spears

37) Roy Orbison by K.D. Lang

38) John Lennon by Lenny Kravitz

39) David Bowie by Lou Reed

40) Simon and Garfunkel by James Taylor

41) The Doors by Marilyn Manson

42) Van Morrison by Peter Wolf

43) Sly and the Family Stone by Don Was

44) Public Enemy by Adam Yauch

45) The Byrds by Tom Petty

46) Janis Joplin by Rosanne Cash

47) Patti Smith by Shirley Manson

48) Run-DMC by Chuck D

49) Elton John by Billy Joel

50) The Band by Lucinda Williams

51) Howlin' Wolf by Buddy Guy

52) The Allman Brothers Band by Billy Gibbons

53) Eric Clapton by Little Steven

54) Dr. Dre by Kanye West

55) Grateful Dead by Warren Haynes

56) Parliament/Funkadelic by Ice Cube

57) Aerosmith by Slash

58) Sex Pistols by Billie Joe Armstrong

59) Louis Jordan by Ahmet Ertegun

60) Joni Mitchell by Jewel

61) Tina Turner by Janet Jackson

62) Etta James by Bonnie Raitt

63) Phil Spector by Jerry Wexler

64) The Kinks by Peter Buck

65) Al Green by Justin Timberlake

66) Cream by Roger Waters

67) The Temptations by Rod Stewart

68) Jackie Wilson by Peter Wolf

69) Carl Perkins by Tom Petty

70) The Police by Brandon Flowers

71) Frank Zappa by Trey Anastasio

72) AC/DC by Rick Rubin

73) Radiohead by Dave Matthews

74) Hank Williams by Beck

75) The Eagles by Sheryl Crow

76) The Shirelles by Paul Shaffer

77) Beastie Boys by Darryl "DMC" McDaniels

78) The Stooges by Thurston Moore

79) The Four Tops by Smokey Robinson

80) Elvis Costello by Liz Phair

81) The Drifters by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller

82) Eminem by Elton John

83) N.W.A. by Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson

84) James Taylor by Art Garfunkel

85) Black Sabbath by Dave Navarro

86) Tupac Shakur by 50 Cent

87) Gram Parsons by Keith Richards

88) Miles Davis by Mos Def

89) The Yardbirds by Steven Tyler

90) Carlos Santana by Henry Garza

91) Ricky Nelson by John Fogerty

92) Guns n' Roses by Joe Perry

93) Booker T. and the MG's by Isaac Hayes

94) Nine Inch Nails by David Bowie

95) Lynyrd Skynyrd by Al Kooper

96) Martha and the Vandellas by Fred Schneider

97) Diana Ross and the Supremes by Antonio "LA" Reid

98) Roxy Music by John Taylor

99) Curtis Mayfield by Boz Scaggs

100) Lee "Scratch" Perry by Adam Horovitz

jason_g_718 said:
there's some people on there that shouldn't have even made it (Roy Orbison, John Lennon)
Lennon shouldn't have made it?

Imagine > Tupac

Another thing that pissed me off, is that they have John Lennon on the list basically twice. They listed The Beatles at #1, and then listed Lennon as a solo act in like the 20's.
How's that different from having NWA and Dr. Dre as separate artists?

if anything nwa should be the top ranking rap act because they are the main influence for most of todays rappers/groups/producers etc. they paved the way. edit and public enemy. :thumb:

jason_g_718 said:
Top 20, I'm not sure about that. POSSIBLY. But, I know for damn sure that Pac DEFINATELY SHOULD HAVE BEEN in the Top 50.

Sometime last year on 'Access Hollywood' Pac was #9 among top 10 artists of alltime. He was the only rapper on the list.

Rollingstone dont know shit about rap music they better keep it out of their issues. Plus they have 'dedicated 2pac haters' on their staff.
A typical example, Toure.

Simple...cuz ppl love to bitch about ne thing..plus they think they can be the next streethop board hip hop head by discussin if pac should be at 21 or at 20....

This is something normal ppl don't give a shit about...but these ppl are obsessed...

Lennon shouldn't have made it?
He shouldn't have made it because The Beatles are ranked at number 1, which was the band Lennon was the lead in. Lennon should not be allowed to be listed on the list twice.

Imagine > Tupac
I hate the Beatles, so I wouldn't agree.

How's that different from having NWA and Dr. Dre as separate artists?
You're right, and the same thing that goes for Lennon should go for Dre. I actually hadn't thought about the fact that Dre was on there as a solo and as a part of NWA and you're right. Dre shouldn't be on there twice either. Which then brings the question in regards to both Lennon and Dre....did the two make a bigger impact on society and music as a solo artist or as a member of their respective groups?

LatinoPride said:
rofl @ Eminem being above 2Pac

I swear to god white america is obsessed with Eminem.
I completely agree with this. There's no way Em should be above Pac. I do think Em should be on the list, but I think he should be in the bottom 50, where he was. But, every other rapper on that list should be above Eminem. Not necessarily because he holds less impact or talent than them, but simply because in comparison to all the other rappers on the list, Em is newer. Em has only been on the mainstream scene for about 6 years. The person other than him with the least amount of seniority is Pac, who has been on the scene for about 17 years.

I would say that NWA and 2pac or Dre and 2pac (pick and chose either NWA or Dre as a solo) should be in the top 20.

june16 said:
Sometime last year on 'Access Hollywood' Pac was #9 among top 10 artists of alltime. He was the only rapper on the list.

Rollingstone dont know shit about rap music they better keep it out of their issues. Plus they have 'dedicated 2pac haters' on their staff.
A typical example, Toure.
You better be sure of the facts you're claiming before you claim them.

I'd pick Rolling Stone over ANY other magazine, period. I've never seen them bad mouth rap music and I'd like to know what your support is for saying they "don't know shit about rap music".

I don't understand why there's so much hate on RS in here.

Did anyone notice Jason G make FIVE posts in a row in this thread? That's got to be some kind of record - even I don't have the audacity to do that. Hint: There's an 'edit' button Jason.

And John Lennon deserves to be in there on the strength of his solo work & the Beatles deserve to be in for being the fucking Beatles! Paul McCartney probably should've made it in twice to for his solo work & work with Wings.

Dre also deserves to be in twice imo. His solo work & overall influence over rap & R'n'B - now the leading music genres in the world I think - gives him this right. Obviously NWA deserve to be in it for their influence over rap & the whole of music generally which they made sit up when they hit the scene with a bang. All off word of mouth too, which showed a lot of people that no radio or TV airplay won't stop people buying records. They also received a letter from the FBI lol....they shook up the world!! Or America at least....

And nah, I don' think Tupac deserved to be in the Top 20, maybe - & that's a big maybe - the top 50.

And John Lennon deserves to be in there on the strength of his solo work & the Beatles deserve to be in for being the fucking Beatles! Paul McCartney probably should've made it in twice to for his solo work & work with Wings.
That's fine if you think that, it's your opinion. I just disagree. I don't think it's fair for ANY ARTIST to be on the list twice. That's ridiculous.

And nah, I don' think Tupac deserved to be in the Top 20, maybe - & that's a big maybe - the top 50.
It's not a maybe IMO at all. He is the most successfull rapper of all time, and that's a fact. He owns the distinction of releasing the first double album in rap history. You were talking about how NWA had such an impact they got a letter from the FBI. Well...Pac was surveillanced by the FBI. Pac is probably the most recognizable rapper in the world. IIRC, he also holds the distinction of being the first rapper to go diamond (I'm not positive on that, so if someone can prove me wrong, then go for it and so be it). He is heralded by his own colleagues as being the best and "realest" rapper ever. He's definately one of the most respected and honored. And almost a decade after his death, he's STILL one of the most active artists in the industry and is STILL very relevant to today's society.

If all of those qualities don't constitute being labeled as one of the Top 20 musicians ever, I don't know what does.

Oh, not to mention that AT LEAST 2 of Pac's albums are considered classics, and there's one album that is or isnt' classic depending on what Pac fan you talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.