Rolling Stone Honors Rappers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if anyone else has posted this, so if they have, forgive me, but I was at the store last week and spotted the new Rolling Stone Magazine cover which boasted a list of "The 100 Greatest Artists of All Time". What made me pick the mag up was the fact that Pac and Eminem were BOTH on the cover. I opened up the mag to find quite a few rappers honored on this list. I can't remember the exact spots each act/artist was given, but here are the rappers that made the list:

Public Enemy (in the Top 50)
Run DMC (Top 50)
Dr. Dre (#53)
2pac (Bottom 50, I THINK he was like 82)
Eminem (bottom 50, but about 4 spots or so above Pac)
NWA (bottom 50, lower than Pac)

I believe those are all the rappers that made it.

Sun_Tzu said:
fuck rolling stone. i bet the number one was the rolling stones huh?
What you got against RS? It's better than pretty much any hip hop magazine out, ESPECIALLY The Source.

And no, The Rolling Stones were like 4 or 5.

The top 3 were:

1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Elvis Presley

i dont know man i just felt like saying that
In other words, you were being a child.

and i dont read hip hop magazines, too much bullshit.
I agree. The only time I read most hip hop mags is if one of my favorites artists (Pac, Em, Obie, Dre, Dogg Pound, Cube, NWA, etc...) is on the cover or discussed in a decent sized article.

Most hip hop magazines I personally find to be biased against West Coast rap, and I prefer West Coast rap over East Coast rap.

50 Cent said it best:

"Fuck 'The Source', I'm on the cover of Rolling Stone"

MAKaveli_10 said:
2pac should have been in the top 20. He changed rap forever.
Top 20, I'm not sure about that. POSSIBLY. But, I know for damn sure that Pac DEFINATELY SHOULD HAVE BEEN in the Top 50.

I love Eminem and all and I truly think that Em is probably the best MAINSTREAM lyricst to ever spit a verse, but there is NO WAY he has a bigger impact on society or even his own genre than 2pac.

jason_g_718 said:
What you got against RS? It's better than pretty much any hip hop magazine out, ESPECIALLY The Source.

And no, The Rolling Stones were like 4 or 5.

The top 3 were:

1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Elvis Presley

sdfu idiot rolling stone doesent know hip hip if they put eminem and dr.dre above 2pac its a lil whyte america mag so fuck them and what they have to say

PaulyPac said:
nwa bottom 50 ???
Exactly what I said too.

I don't get it. The list isn't too bad, but there's some people on there that shouldn't have even made it (Roy Orbison, John Lennon), and the other thing is that they have some acts that should be higher on the list than they are, and others that should be lower than they are.

Personally, I think NWA should have been Top 20 for sure. Pac should have been Top 20 as well.

Another thing that pissed me off, is that they have John Lennon on the list basically twice. They listed The Beatles at #1, and then listed Lennon as a solo act in like the 20's.

Sun_Tzu said:
cmon you cant expect any rapper to be in the top 10 or even top 20 in a rolling stone magazine, shiiit aint that more of a rock magazine anyways?
They are an all around magazine. They cover everything from rap to rock, country to blues. I mean, some people in here are bitching about the spots that certain rappers took, but the bottom line is, at least more than 2 rappers ranked the list. There was a total of like 7 rappers on the list, because the Beasties made it too.

But yeah, Rolling Stone is pretty much an all around, all genre magazine. It's part of the reason I prefer RS over any other music magazine. And tons of rappers have donned the front page, including our beloved Pac.

jflballer said:
You've never heard of XXL, Vibe, or Scratch, have you?
Of course I have. What the fuck are you? 12? You don't belong listening to rap music if you don't know those magazines.

So...did your condescending question have an actual point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.