Prince

FroDawgg

Wasnt 2pac meant to be on the new Prince album?

oh, militant, i found that japanese "scandalous" with the "partyman" remixes on ebay. got it for $12 US + S&H. thanks for making me aware of that, man.

G.Litt

U Hate Me? I Care!

Militant said:
But regardless, the new Prince CD "3121" is fucking tight, and I suggest you all cop it and listen to some dope music.
You rate it that high?

I'll have to get my hands on his latest album. Prince fan from way back,

Casey

Staff member

G.Litt - Yeah, it's fucking sick. 3121 is my favorite album since The Gold Experience in '94.

FroDawgg - u got that for a good price man - good find. The last one I saw went for much higher.

Rahim - That Brit Awards performance was EXCELLENT. I have it on DVD. So dope!!!

Fonzy - 2 Live & Die in LA is sampled from Melissa Morgan's cover version of "Do Me Baby"...not Prince's original.

well i'm not much of a Prince fan but i used to play that Batman soundtrack all the time back in the day, i loved that shit! and 15,000 unreleased tracks? thats just ridiculous :woah:

Cooper

Shot 21 said:
Might as well move this to Dont Stop The Music lol. Never been a Prince fan, never will but i got major respect for him. Hes pretty influential in todays R&B and even Hip Hop. Would be dope to hear him on a Pac track. Rather him than Elton John.
Never say never :thumb:

get the obvious hits e.g Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, When Doves Cry etc..all these & other hits are on a couple best of cd's like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002MNF/sr=1-4/qid=1144054080/ref=sr_1_4/103-8201014-3519055?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music

the tracks that got me liking him are
Purple Rain
When U Were Mine
Do Me Baby
When Doves Cry
Money Dont Matter Tonight
Adore
If I Was Ur Gurlfriend
Uptown
Nothin Compares 2 U
The Most Beautiful Girl in The World
Pop Life
I Could Never Take The Place of Ur Man
+ others
Get them & see what u think, u probably heard most...if u like..then get more...i'm sure u'll find alot will just be weird :D

Not really much of a prince fan but I heard Black Sweat the other day an thought it was dope, i'm more of a Morris Day fan myself :p well ever since I heard Oak Tree for the first time anyway :cool:
LOVE, THE WORD, FURY are the best, I like The word cos it's more hip-hop sounding :)

Casey

Staff member
newbiepwnz said:
Anyone can start me off with some good prince shit? im new to prince
Like Fonzy said, start with "The Hits/B-Sides" and then start getting albums depending on which singles you liked the best from the compilation. Then I'd suggest getting the Purple Rain CD and get the movie on DVD as well, then get Sign O The Times, and then Dirty Mind and just continue from there. Some of my favorites:

I Wanna Be Your Lover
Dirty Mind
Uptown
When You Were Mine
Controversy
Private Joy
Let's Work
Head
Little Red Corvette
Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
Purple Rain
Let's Go Crazy
I Would Die 4 U
Computer Blue
When Doves Cry
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
She's Always In My Hair
Kiss
Sometimes It Snows In April
Girls & Boys
Sign O The Times
Hot Thing
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
It
Adore
Housequake
Glam Slam
Anna Stesia
I Wish U Heaven
Batdance
Electric Chair
Joy In Repetition
New Power Generation
Elephants & Flowers
Cream
Daddy Pop
Diamonds & Pearls
My Name Is Prince
Sexy MF
Love 2 The 9's
Come
Letitgo
Endorphinmachine
Ssshhh
Billy Jack Bitch
Pussy Control
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
Eye Hate U
Sex In The Summer
Style
Sleep Around
Somebody's Somebody
In This Bed I Scream
The Holy River
Face Down
Le Grind
Bob George
Superfunkycalifragisexy
Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic
Undisputed
Illusion Coma Pimp & Circumstance
Musicology
Call My Name
Fury
Love
Lolita
The Word

........I could go on forever, but yeah, those are just some of my favorites. lol. And i didn't even mention any unreleased songs :laugh:

Kevsta - I'm a massive Morris Day & The Time fan as well, got all their shit and a whole gang of unreleased shit of their as well. The extended version of Jungle Love is my jam.

and yeah, I think "The Word" and "Love" are the two best songs on 3121. 3121 is a better album than Musicology.

3121 is a return to old school Prince.....got it 2weeks ago and it's a banga. 15,000 songs damn damn damn....Amaru would be rich for years if Pac had that much orginal material. Here's hoping that Prince will be a part of the LP 2pac seems to be such a big fan of his work it's amazing they never meant during his lifetime'.

PS:Scandlous by Prince is the shit (also a song titile Pac used)

PPS:How bout a list of all the og/unrelease you have Millitant (or at least the top 20 or so)

Casey

Staff member
GhettoStar said:
3121 is a return to old school Prince.....got it 2weeks ago and it's a banga. 15,000 songs damn damn damn....Amaru would be rich for years if Pac had that much orginal material. Here's hoping that Prince will be a part of the LP 2pac seems to be such a big fan of his work it's amazing they never meant during his lifetime'.

PS:Scandlous by Prince is the shit (also a song titile Pac used)

PPS:How bout a list of all the og/unrelease you have Millitant (or at least the top 20 or so)
Yeah 3121 is fucking great. Still can't believe that I wrote the world first review on it. I hate writing top lists so I'll just mention a few of my favorite outtakes/unreleased tracks.

1. We Can Funk.

Originally Prince wrote this track in the early 80's on his own. In 1990, the basic tracks from Prince's original version were used in a re-worked version of the track, now featuring a new hook and featured vocals from George Clinton and it was released on the album "Graffiti Bridge".

However! This track had actually been considered for Prince & The Revolutions 1986 project "Dream Factory". The Dream Factory project was a collaborative effort with The Revolution, with a lot of input from Wendy & Lisa. This project got canned when Prince broke up The Revolution, and some Dream Factory tracks ended up being used on "Sign O The Times". There exists on the bootleg market a studio version of a live take of this song with the Revolution playing. And it SHITS on the released version.

2. Electric Intercourse

Taken from the legendary August 3 1983 show in Minneapolis (Wendy Melvoins' debut as guitarist and the first time many tracks that would later be on Purple Rain were played, including Computer Blue, I Would Die 4 U, Baby I'm A Star and Purple Rain itself)

There's a few versions of this being rehearsed but this one is my favorite. The whole show is absolutely fucking explosive and probably my favorite bootleg overall. Prince & The Revolution at their absolute peak.

3. Purple Rain - live from this same gig /\. The basic tracks of this were used in the released studio version, however this live version is around 5 minutes longer (13 minutes) and includes an extra verse. Absolutely incredible.

I'll write about some more of my favorite Prince bootlegs tomorrow cos I'm going to bed now. :D

i need to get that Boot from u, Militant...get on msn boy
another version of Purple Rain that is awesome is this one i'm playin
Prince And The Revolution - Atlanta '85 - January 4th, 1985 - Purple Rain 18:40 :thumb: the whole boot is great!

Casey

Staff member
Fonzy` said:
Prince And The Revolution - Atlanta '85 - January 4th, 1985 - Purple Rain 18:40
Not bad, but a better one is March 30th 1985, Syracuse, NY - Purple Rain 18:50 :D :thumb:

Wendy plays this different repeated note in the intro a few times - fucking hell it sounds bad ass. The whole crowd is singing the adlibs in the intro, lol. Fink and Lisa got some amazing synth sounds playing as well.

Casey

Staff member
more of my favorite Prince outtakes/unreleased are:

1. Vanity 6 - Sex Shooter.

This song was released after Vanity left, Apollonia joined and the group was re-named Apollonia 6. However, this original unreleased version with Vanity on the vocals is hella funkier!!

2. Eye Am The DJ

Fucking wicked song that was originally planned to be on "Emancipation".

3. Ur Still The 1

Live cover of the Shania Twain song, it's really good.

4. Wonderful Ass

unreleased track written about Vanity. dope shit.

5. I could never take the place of your man (Dream Factory version)
A like the lil extra touches on this version, the intro is a killer.

6. Crystal Ball

fucking love this song.

Militant its a awesome show...props for that :)

Now Playin : I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (SOTT Rehearsal 2/21/87) ... love this track...sounds like i need to get Dream Factory version :thumb:

GhettoStar pm me wit some IM info..i'll hook sum stuff up for ya ;)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online