Name Your Favorite 'Storytelling' song.

ARon

goymz said:
Nice to see this thread resurrected.

After putting together than list on page three or whatever, I realised that I really do think story telling is one of the finest aspects of hip-hop.

This thread got me thinking about it in depth, so as a side project to all the shit Im doing at the moment Im writing a serious analysis of story telling in hip-hop - an accurate list, definitions of story telling, the purpose, the history, all the different types and outcomes. I'll probably share some of it with the board when its finished, I say some just because it will be incredibly large, I've written 5000 already and barely got started.. and I know I dont like wading through extra long posts on this site.

Anyway, for anyone else who shares an interest top class stories in hiphop, that list is just an introduction.
I'd read it all. Once you finish PM it to me or something. Sounds tight.

Alot of great tracks been posted i aint heard all of em, i agree with all of pacs tracks been chosen and most of da others they tight but everybodies forgotten about tech n9ne rap game and that one where he's talkin about his dick at the end thats 2 good one's aswell right there

Immortal Technique - "Dance With The Devil"
Nas - "Undying Love"
Nas - "Rewind"
Nas - "Small World"
Ice Cube - "It Was A Good Day"
Slick Rick - "Children's Story"
Eminem - "Stan"
2Pac - "Brenda's Got A Baby"
2Pac - "Shorty Wanna Be A Thug"
Jay-Z - "Soon You'll Understand"
Common - "I Used To Love H.E.R."

The story thread returns once again! I'll quickly add...

El-P/Cage - Oxycontin Part 2
Soul Position - Keys
Black Sheep - U Mean I'm Not

The story telling thesis of sorts is still being written.

I'm really suprised that so many people voted for Immortal Tech's "Dance with the devil" as the "best story telling rap song", please explain your reason. The story is pretty good but the lyrics are total shit and sound like something a 14 year old wrote. I'm not impressed by simply rhyming the last syllable of every line for the whole song, there's no word-play, no flow and most the time he sounds like he's really hard stretched to talk the very basic lyrics over the music. I'd really like to know what everyone found so impressive with this song?

I'm glad that a few people brought up Blackalicious in this thread, I thought that as a group they were totally being slept on while they (and most of the Quannum rota) are the only modern hiphop I listen to. I was going to vote for Blackalicious's "Deception", "Shallow Days" or "If I may" all from Nia but more recently "The Fall & Rise Of Elliot Brown" from The Craft is an awesome track.

Coincidently, I was going to make a thread about this group anyways but my favourite story telling track is "HelloHiHey" by the Lifesavas who are closely associated with Blackalicious, the concept of the story is brilliant and blew my mind when I heard the ending, and it's everything a great rap track should be; the lyrics/wordplay/flow are simply genius, the music is great and I probably listen to it (and the rest of their album Spirit in Stone) daily, check it out now but please support the group if you like them.

And definitely Biggie has to be in there too, he had an incredible talent and way to make you conjur up in your head the story he was telling.

^^ Dance with the Devil is a great track, but definitely not the greatest of all time. I assume everyone likes it because of the actual occurences in the story and the shock ending. It builds up good suspense, perhaps the simple rhyming structure aids this..it's ominous (as is the beat). It has some nice imagery in the words as well (A dance with the devil could last you forever.)

So many better story tracks, I barely listen to this one nowadays.

Be interested to hear why everyone else likes it so much too.

Btw, well said about Blackalicious. I was recently pleased to hear Deception in an add currently showing on BBC World. If I was to sell the rights for commercial use of a song, I'd only ever consider the BBC.

Kadafi Son

A lot of what ya'll posted but nobody said:

Ice Cube's-Ghetto Bird
MC Eiht-Goin' Out Like G'z
Krayzie Bone-Dummy Man
Krayzie Bone-Hard Time Hustlin'
Snoop Dogg-Lodi Dodi
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony-Down 71 (The Getaway)
Outkast-Jazzy Belle
Outkast-Toilet Tisha (kinda but great song)

Casey

Staff member
Come on now.

7 freakin pages and no-one's mentioned 'Face?

Scarface - Mr. Scarface
Scarface - Mr. Scarface is Back
Scarface - Mr. Scarface Part III : The Final Chapter

the illest storytelling right there.

and don't sleep on Kool G Rap - Thugz Love Story Part 1,2,3
and DMX's Damian 1 2 and 3.

This was a great post cuz many months later I still think about posting here whenever I hear a great story telling track.

Just now have to put down MF Doom's "Let me watch", quality track and the music seems to fit the lyrics so well, it reminds me of a great track from when hiphop was still good. Check it out.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain why Immortal Tech's "Dance with the devil" is such a good track, everything about it sucks old man balls.

linx

Staff member
How does Dance With The Devil suck? It's a good track. I'm not saying it's amazing, but come on now. And nobody is fucking with Slick Rick, period.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.