Elton John calls Eminem a legend

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
H.E. Pennypacker said:
In your part of the world, he is a legend. Come here, and he's really in no one's conversations. Trust me, he's no water-cooler topic, and people are not talking about him during lunch.

If 2pac is a legend, then Elton John is easily a legend.

I'm not an Elton John fan, and I'm not gonna shout legend just because he is English. But he's quite obviously a legend as are a lot of big acts, The Rolling Stones, Elvis etc. Those that were the faces of their generation or those that habve continued to sell for decades.

I don't talk about Elton John at all, apart from on here, and definately not at lunch time. But then I didn't know you had to be lunch time conversation to be a legend.

Is 2pac a legend in your eyes? If so, Elton John has to be considered a legend. Just because his music isn't to your taste, or mine, doesn't mean he hasn't influenced people who do like that music.

H.E. Pennypacker said:
I say Elton John is not a legend because he's that not big outside of England. He may sell very well outside of England, but would people instantly recognize him outside of his country?

You can't compare him to the Beatles. The Beatles created a cult following. I am not sure if that's supposed to give them a legendary status, but they are considered legends. I am, however, quite uncomfortable with calling them legends because I get the feeling they were more like cult leaders than great musicians. The reason I say this is because people blew out of proportion the meaning of their songs, and they were almost worshipped in a sense.

Take, for example, Charles Manson who slaughtered men and women in the name of the Beatles. Take, for example, the generation where mothers would teach their young babies about The Beatles as if they were characters from a religious story. This is not stuff I am making up.

You can't compare Elton John to Michael Jackson. You could put Michael Jackson behind a shade, and people would recognize him. Michael Jackson was such a large star at his pinacle, he was simply "the coolest man on Earth" and was quickly coined "one of the greatest musicians to ever life." Twenty years later, and with all his problems, he's still be able to maintain his title, King of Pop. For the record, the media lies about where the title came from. He did NOT give himself that title.

I know Elton John has sold a lot, but perhaps this a legend is more than a man that can sell very well. The Back Street Boys sold very well, and so did N-Sync. That does not make them legends.

By the way, I know you were just kidding about the Michael Jackson part.

In your part of the world, he is a legend. Come here, and he's really in no one's conversations. Trust me, he's no water-cooler topic, and people are not talking about him during lunch.

This topic is getting ridiculous, but this legend stuff is funny as lol.

Anyway, Elton is a legend, love it or hate it, dissagree or whatever, no opinion shit. He's a legend full stop.

Aristotle said:
1. Eminem isn't amazing in the eyes of HIP HOP fans, he is amazing in the eyes, of well, you know who. What calssics has he dropped, talk about overrating the guy, he has no classic under his belt, people throw that term around more than legend.

2. He has been in the game a long time and people don't even give him respect, not in Hip Hop, they respect his business, the only people claiming he is some musical phenom is Elton John, ROlling Stone and so forth, the outside looking in. The only reason people dont want to say anything is becuase they are not dumb. They get the pop fans on their side then they got millions, so why would you dis an idol in the eyes of TRL and so forth.
Eminem is a pop legend not a rap legend, if anything.
Don't matter man I have said it b4 and I'll say it again...the word legend is just a word of expressing how you feel about an artist..and as always with music it's a matter of fucking taste!

Legend = same as GOAT GREATEST ILLEST etc..

But I got the feeling that when ppl use the term legend they used it the way I put it down in my last posts...MY post wasn't about eminem tho I just wanted to make that clear...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.