When I lost respect for Hip Hop Heads.

snoop dogg - yall gone miss me ft kokane - produced by scott storch 2001
snoop dogg - ready 2 ryde ft eve - produced by scott storch 2001

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ gr8 flows espescially the second one.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Here's a post from me on why Doggystyle is a classic. It also explains why Snoop is a legend.

Pittsey said:
I have given several reasons why this album is a classic.

Let me break it down.

Beats - We'll start with the beats. Compare the beats of 1993 to the beats that appear on the Chronic and Doggystyle, (as they are essentially very similar to each other). Those 2 albums wouldn't sound out of place if released today. Can we say that about S4MN by 2pac? What about Wutang, and the 36 chambers? Down with the King by Run DMC? I'm not taking anything away from these albums, but simply looking at the beats which were on these albums. Do any of these albums sound modern now? Are they as fresh now as they were then. Both Chronic and Doggystyle are timeless. The beats are laid-back and funky, continuing to resonate after many listens, but their greatest strength is that they never overshadow the laconic drawl of Snoop, who confirms that he has one of hip-hop's greatest vocal stylists with this record.

Flow - Other gangsta rappers were all about aggression and anger but Snoop takes his time, playing with the flow of his words, giving his rhymes a nearly melodic eloquence. On this album noop is something special, with unpredictable turns of phrase, evocative imagery, and a distinctive, addictive flow. Snoop doesn't just ride the beat, he helps create it, he is an instrument himself.

Lyrics - You say that they are too simple and boring. They are repetitive. I don't agree. I think that Snoop, with Dre's help, presents this album with an imaginative and a narrative thrust.
An example of this can be heard on the 1st verse of "Murder was the case", (I listened to it this morning, ) ...

As I look up at the sky
My mind starts trippin, a tear drops my eye
My body temperature falls
I'm shakin and they breakin tryin to save the Dogg
Pumpin on my chest and I'm screamin
I stop breathin, damn I see deamons
Dear God, I wonder can ya save me
I can't die my Boo-Boo's bout to have my baby
I think it's too late for prayin, hold up
A voice spoke to me and it slowly started sayin
"Bring your lifestyle to me I'll make it better"
How long will I live?
"Eternal life and forever"
And will I be, the G that I was?
"I'll make your life better than you can imagine or even dreamed of
So relax your soul, let me take control
Close your eyes my son"
My eyes are closed

Using wordplay doesn't always improve an album. As I said before it's the delivery, the imagery and the story telling that is what makes the songs interesting. Adding tricks wouldn't enhance it in my opinion.

It may not have had the shock of the new like Chronic did, but it built on top of what Dre created with Chronic.

If you didn't hear it in 1994 though that may be 1 of the reasons why you don't label it a classic. Over the years, the pervasive influence of Chronic and Doggystyle and its countless ripoffs has dulled its innovations, so it doesn't have the appeal that it did at the time of it's launch. At the time the albums were completely different to the other albums being released. But now it seems every album tries to emulate what Dre and Snoop achieved, but without quite understanding that a breakthrough album cannot be achieved by copying someone else's ideas.

Pittsey said:
Here's a post from me on why Doggystyle is a classic. It also explains why Snoop is a legend.
Sure, it's not entirely his work, but a lot of it is the work of Stephen Thomas Erlewine so perhaps you might want to give him co-credit. :thumb:

H.E. Pennypacker said:
Blame CalcuoCuchicheo for my loss of respect for Hip Hop Heads. When he called Snoop Dogg a "legend," I lost all espect for Hip Hop Heads. I am not saying Calcuo is a Hip Hop head, but I know for sure the words he uttered reflect the Hip Hop Heads community.

Seriously, it gets no worse than Snoop Dogg. I'd rather listen to 50 Cent talk about how ants build colonies. I'd rather listen to Chingy throwing up than listening to anything by Snoop Dogg (including The Doggfather). Why does Snoop suck? The lyrics are unbelievably weak and I could construct something more complex with a better flow.

If you guys support what Calcuo said, feel bad for yourself. Put something over your face and tell fellow Hip Hop Heads to be ashamed of themselves.

Note: Calcuo may not have used the word "legend" exactly, but he spoke very highly of Snoop Dogg and The Doggfather.

theres a diffrence between a head/fan. Heads tend to know alot about hip-hop but sometimes can come off as jack asses, while fans have made me stop resepcting hip-hop. When the only argumetn you get is "dick ryda" "get (insert rapper name here) dick off yo breath" or "he whack he sucks" or nay other grade school line, thats when you know rap fans are some of the ignorant ones most of them.

K D

H.E. Pennypacker said:
Sick flow? I don't know if should laugh or cry. If Snoop's flow is sick, oh man...I won't even get into it. I can't believe people are willing to call his flow sick simply because Snoop is an OG.

If I did write something, this thread would turn into a totally different topic. There's no point in me writing something for this. I'll just give you an example of what I think is great flow: all the verses (with the exception of Eminem's) on Welcome To D-Block. That should give you an idea of what I think of as great lyrics with great flows.
Actually you said yourself in your original post i could write something way better with a better flow.... so then prove it or otherwise like my original post shutup...your saying snoop doesnt have a sick flow? i dont think its the hip hop heads that need to lose respect its your credability after saying something like that, snoops flow is one of the most original and most copied flow in the game! anyone using the 'lazy' flow is trying snoops flow but snoop brings it to another level like pitsey was saying its like a melody and if you wanna hear one of snoops sick flows check out daz - i got that fire and then tell me snoops flow isnt one of the most orignalist and best cuz he can ride a beat like no other

D-block has a sick flow? lyrics are nice but jadakiss's voice its like forcing it apon your ears .. not taking anything away from them but flow? no..

H.E. Pennypacker said:
That's not why I hate his lyrics. Its not about that. I hate his lyrics because of the simplicity and the lack of a decent flow. Im A Hustla by Cassidy is not about social issues or similar issues, but that doesn't mean its lyrics aren't sick. They are sick.
Again does he come out saying everyone listen to my lyrics there amazing im one of the top lyricsts in the game? No he doesnt so i dont know why you keep bringing that up.. ill admit snoops lyrics are average but its his delivery and flow that make him special

Tonio1986 said:
Some arguments are ok, but the thing with the money is bullshit on the highest level! Do you think he tours round the world with all the stress, because he loves the game?! Wouldnt it be better to chill in his crib? Of course it is all about the money, I dont know man, but sometimes ppl are just not thinkin or stupid. ;)
I think when snoops gettin pretty old he already has a shitload of money and hes getting money from endourcments, movies, music why would he go on the road just to make money when he can sit on his ass and still make it? most artists go on tour just cuz they love the live audience and they get to party like everyday.. yeah there might be a little stress involved but i think the plus's weight out the minuses .. and yah obviously the money plays a factor in touring but i think for the most part ppl go on tour cuz they love the live audience and like performing

and everyone saying that nwa and all of em made gangster rap yeah i know thats true but snoop dre and deathrow really brought it to the mainstream and took it to another level

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online