three best lyricist in your opinion

Aristotle said:
This thread is sad.
what's that supposed to mean...nobody put a gun to your head and made you check out this thread...i'm somewhat new here and i just wanted to see what everybody else's thoughts and opinions are and if you don't like just don't open the thread

Bobby Sands

I dunno if u could consider GZA mainstream cos none of his albums were really mainstream.But i suppose the Wu albums are mainstream

Cuban Link is a good lyricist
Eminem was good but very poor on Encore
Rakim is still around and due to release an album.

if you guys want the top 3 lyricists of all time, hip hop non with standing, the list would be too hard to come up with.

you'd have the old school greats (Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, KRS-One), the mainstream legends (Hov, Biggie, Nas), you'd have the underground heads (Juice, Yak Ballz, Louis Logic, Necro, ::insert about 2304872304824 other rappers here::), or you'd have the non quite mainstream but not quite underground either category (Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Big L)...

...you really can't make a top three lyricists of all time. mainstream fits it better, especially considering this is a 2pac forum, and most people here apparently don't know the meaning of mainstream either (Crooked I and Big L are not mainstream in the least bit).

ImTheEffinOne said:
nas is incredibly, incredibly, incredibly overrated.

one classic, two good albums, and a bunch of ones ranging from terrible to average do not make you the best mainstream lyricist.

most of these mainstream guys are straight up trash on a lyrical scale...since Hov retired, the only mainstream artists that have really been straight up trashin the game are Sig and Jada...Nas comes in a distant third to these two.
the worst nas album is at least 3.5 mics aite.

best lyricists mainstream
ludacris
camron
cassidy. :p

sniper said:
the worst nas album is at least 3.5 mics aite.

best lyricists mainstream
ludacris
camron
cassidy. :p
you're kidding right? Nastradamus is like a 1.5 mic album. I am and It Was Written are about a 2.5 mic album, Stillmatic was 3...only above 4 mic albums he has are Street Disciple, Illmatic (5 mic of course) and God's Son.

definitely forgot about Cam though.

Cassidy used to spit much rawer than he does now. I know how raw that bule really can get, so I can't call him one of the best today.

seriously though, ya'll should hear some of the shit Cass put out here in Philly before he got signed...I remember when bule used to sneak into King (one of the worst Philly high schools up in G-Town) during lunch break and battle dudes at the table and shit. kid was straight RAW...

thats what im basin mines on....his mixtape shit, and nahhhhh the lowest nas has ever got as far as i know is 3.5 mics in the source and i think an m in xxl. i may be wrong so dont hold me to it.

ImTheEffinOne said:
nas is incredibly, incredibly, incredibly overrated.

one classic, two good albums, and a bunch of ones ranging from terrible to average do not make you the best mainstream lyricist.

most of these mainstream guys are straight up trash on a lyrical scale...since Hov retired, the only mainstream artists that have really been straight up trashin the game are Sig and Jada...Nas comes in a distant third to these two.

:rolleyes:

Illmatic = Classic
It Was Written = Classic
I AM = Good
Nastradamus = Average
Stillmatic = Classic
God's Son = Good
Lost Tapes = Classic
Streets Disciple = Average

LOL @ Jay-Z, he himself admitted changing his style away from lyricism and become basic in order to sell more units. The Black Album was ill as fuck but not really lyrical, everything between that and Reasonable Doubt was average.

Jada is very tight but inconsistent and his topic's are 1 dimentional big willie style at times. How many classic's has he put out ?

sniper said:
yeh i think the prob with jay z is that he spits off the top, and that affected his style too much.

Word, that's true.

Jigga said it himself, complex lyrics are only appreciated by a small majority, he switched his style to focus more on flow and basic ryhming over bouncy beats. The average person will bop their head to a hot beat and ryhme along with basic lyrics, thus Jay-Z sold millions of records. I aint hating on him, cause I listen to that type of hip hop aswell but I dont class him as a great lyricist (he was at 1 time though)

Valiant Emcee said:
:rolleyes:

Illmatic = Classic
It Was Written = Classic
I AM = Good
Nastradamus = Average
Stillmatic = Classic
God's Son = Good
Lost Tapes = Classic
Streets Disciple = Average

LOL @ Jay-Z, he himself admitted changing his style away from lyricism and become basic in order to sell more units. The Black Album was ill as fuck but not really lyrical, everything between that and Reasonable Doubt was average.

Jada is very tight but inconsistent and his topic's are 1 dimentional big willie style at times. How many classic's has he put out ?
You're kidding again, right?

Stillmatic, It was Written, and Lost Tapes classics? Give me a break, bruh...they're 3.5 at best. Lost Tapes is probably the best of the three. Stillmatic was overrated, the only reason it got so much hype was because of the Hov/Nas beef. Blueprint was significantly better. It Was Written to this day is one of the most overrated albums ever, it's second only to Nastradamus as Nas's worst CD. I Am is better than that shit. I only bumped Lost Tapes about three times about a year and a half ago, so i can't speak on it that much, but I don't recall it being classic (had some great songs on it).

LMAO @ hov bein a simplistic lyricist...you're kidding right? So, I guess his line about mother fuckers skimmin through his lyrics still applies. Have you actually listened to every Hov CD? Granted, Volume 1-3 were just what you said, but he switched it back up when the Nas beef came about.

Seriously, I can't believe someone just said Hov rhymes simplistically. Hova schematics are much better than Nas's, and his punchlines contain a lot more wit. And hey, why don't we just talk about their beef? Hov deficated all over Pac back in '96, only Big came harder than he did. Hov absolutely ass raped Nas on Takeover and Blueprint 2-unless, of course, you like 2pac style disses, which are just a bunch of shit talking with no substance. Nas came at Hov with a bunch of trivial shit, about how he looks, what he named his company after, bullshit like that. Hov took it straight to Nas's career.

Still can't believe people say Nas won...but I guess these are the same people that say Hit Em Up was a better diss than Long Kiss Goodnight. lmao.

Blueprint, Reasonable Doubt, Black Album, Blueprint 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every Nas CD other than Illmatic. No one can touch Illmatic, but Reasonable Doubt was the closest CD of the mid 90's to come close.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.