This is my thread

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Man i can't even imagine starting my day by sitting in traffic. I would be insufferable.

i walk about 7 min to the train in the morning, 10 min ride to the city and then 7 min walk to the office. It's perfecr.

I walk from my bedroom to the office. 30 seconds walk. Not as much fun had over Teams though.

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
I do not like WFH
Yet there are articles being written about the number of people that want to continue working from home an are pushing their employers to keep it that way. It's even getting to the point of shaming the employers for calling them back in.

They’re calling it “cave syndrome”! This ridiculous concept that staying home makes one mentally ill or that people are afraid to leave their homes. I am so blinded!!

When people ask me "do you drive?" - I answer "yeah, like a maniac!". I should stop. I should just grab TMX and Forza. You know, you have to laugh a bit when you have to Facetime your dermatologist. My camera is only 1.2 megapixles dude! Tele-medecine may be the future but tele-saying goodbye doesn't seem right. Sorry to be a negative nelly , but why are they allowing flights at the start of the virus season? You know why. I found a get-rich-quick scheme. A local homeless woman won $200,000 damages for the state truck plowed her while sleeping in a snowbank! lol Holy shit! Walking in winter Winnipeg is a death sentence! Up here you can get hypothermia within seconds! Working from home - It's a new diagnosis, right? "Cave Syndrome" it's called. lol I'm blinded!! If the government is so concerned with mental illness, they shouldn't put people in solitary confinement. Solitude is better than destitute is worse than death in the moment. I've been to school and it caused me mental illness! Meanwhile, Bezos and Musk wants to die on Mars! Let's start a gofundme page and send them tickets! Do they really think they can get away with it? Anyway, industrial energy complex seems to forecast natural gas & electricity, and car companies remain divided on EV. Economic forecast suggest end of owning, and the rise of the ride share. So, up goes the fare. Public transportation is better when we mind shame and care. Probably only the rich, gets to drive gas Chevy in Bel-Air. While the rest of us find resources scarce.

Last edited:

Da_Funk

Yet there are articles being written about the number of people that want to continue working from home an are pushing their employers to keep it that way. It's even getting to the point of shaming the employers for calling them back in.
Yeah i am sure this is the case. All i meant was i do not like working from home personally although i am glad i have the flexibility to do it should i need to.

masta247

Staff member
The best solution by far is allowing for flexibility. Some people prefer WFH, some don't. And that's ok. You're getting the highest employee satisfaction by providing both as options, while allowing people to decide where their performance is the highest at the time, and frankly where they feel the most comfortable. Some people can't wait to leave home and they actually recharge at the office. Some are the exact opposite.

We've got hardcore nerds (and normal people) who are thriving beyond words knowing they will never have to go back. They're getting much more done and you can tell they are much happier than I've ever seen them at work. And we've got those who got back as soon as they could - they literally commute to the office to dial in from there and are glad to do so for a variety of different reasons, usually ranging from uncomfortable/distracting home office space to loneliness and need to fulfill social needs.

One random observation that I didn't expect at our work is that people with more authority/higher positions are the ones who are more likely to want "office life", despite seeing productivity dramatically rise and costs fall since the move to "work from wherever you want". At this point I'm fairly sure they just want to enjoy their "higher" status in real life. They don't get greeted by crowds of wage-slaves all visibly respecting their authority when everyone's home. At this point whenever I hear of big company execs broadcasting the desire to move back to the office I just feel like they're driven by vanity, because 'power' just doesn't feel as gratifying over Zoom calls. WFH has been a great equalizer in general - people communicate more as peers, and nobody knows where you live, what you're wearing, or what car you drive. Things like who's given the bigger and better office (which is in a way creating a toxic power hierarchy) become non-existent. We've got assistants with big, beautiful houses and great home offices, and directors working from their apartment kitchens. Contacts are listed alphabetically, and everyone is equally reachable. Those who previously benefited from special treatment are therefore complaining the most.

Last edited:

dilla

The best solution by far is allowing for flexibility. Some people prefer WFH, some don't. And that's ok. You're getting the highest employee satisfaction by providing both as options, while allowing people to decide where their performance is the highest at the time, and frankly where they feel the most comfortable. Some people can't wait to leave home and they actually recharge at the office. Some are the exact opposite.

We've got hardcore nerds (and normal people) who are thriving beyond words knowing they will never have to go back. They're getting much more done and you can tell they are much happier than I've ever seen them at work. And we've got those who got back as soon as they could - they literally commute to the office to dial in from there and are glad to do so for a variety of different reasons, usually ranging from uncomfortable/distracting home office space to loneliness and need to fulfill social needs.

One random observation that I didn't expect at our work is that people with more authority/higher positions are the ones who are more likely to want "office life", despite seeing productivity dramatically rise and costs fall since the move to "work from wherever you want". At this point I'm fairly sure they just want to enjoy their "higher" status in real life. They don't get greeted by crowds of wage-slaves all visibly respecting their authority when everyone's home. At this point whenever I hear of big company execs broadcasting the desire to move back to the office I just feel like they're driven by vanity, because 'power' just doesn't feel as gratifying over Zoom calls. WFH has been a great equalizer in general - people communicate more as peers, and nobody knows where you live, what you're wearing, or what car you drive. Things like who's given the bigger and better office (which is in a way creating a toxic power hierarchy) become non-existent. We've got assistants with big, beautiful houses and great home offices, and directors working from their apartment kitchens. Contacts are listed alphabetically, and everyone is equally reachable. Those who previously benefited from special treatment are therefore complaining the most.

That makes sense. I've also read of it causing rifts between departments as some are allowed to stay home and others required to come in. So it may not be happening at an individual level but by department.

One thing I'm hoping for some industries starting to embrace Zoom or video chat more widely instead of phone calls. I don't like talking on the phone as much but I'm also the lazy type that would rather do things via text or email. But in some cases I'm OK meeting face to face to discuss something but the travel to get there is off-putting and now video calling seems like a good enough compromise. I might be describing the very purpose of video calls but I hope it doesn't stay limited to big meetings and instead companies start offering it as a means of communication if a customer has to show them something or the situation simply benefits from seeing someone's face.

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2015/10/05/another-car-were-not-allowed-to-buy/

Cars we're not allowed to buy
Would you be interested in a brand-new, fully warranted, five-door crossover SUV built by a major, name-brand automaker that gave you 50-plus MPG with a gas (not diesel or hybrid) engine, that has a top speed around 125 mph, is capable of getting to 60 in 12 seconds (about the same as a Prius hybrid) that stickered for less than $5,000?

Yeah, me too.

Too bad we can’t buy one.

Not because such a vehicle isn’t available.

It’s just not available here.
I love them but I'm done. All of the investments we put into the industry for safety, after they scared us about it, will be dumped into the stream. We're lucky if we can have steering wheels in the future, right? And A.I. will determine what's good for us while we mindlessly go about at 25 mph. That's good.

masta247

Staff member
One thing I'm hoping for some industries starting to embrace Zoom or video chat more widely instead of phone calls.
I don't know if it's location or industry-specific or both, but I've never had a work phone, and never made a single work-related phone call. I always wanted to be able to make a good old work phone call like back in the 80s movies, but I don't think it will ever happen anymore. I also never gave my personal phone number at any jobs I worked. Only used Zoom, previously Skype, and e-mail. My previous office had two phones - one at HR, the other at the reception.

Da_Funk

I don't know if it's location or industry-specific or both, but I've never had a work phone, and never made a single work-related phone call. I always wanted to be able to make a good old work phone call like back in the 80s movies, but I don't think it will ever happen anymore. I also never gave my personal phone number at any jobs I worked. Only used Zoom, previously Skype, and e-mail. My previous office had two phones - one at HR, the other at the reception.
It's probably a good thing. I run a personal and work phone. Having the work phone makes it impossible to detach.

dilla

Some people I know have two phones but that was always strange for me, too. To carry around two phones and one of them only being active for a few hours when work calls were expected. But none of my friends work in fields that require two phones but I do know of people that do.

dilla

I carry three phones. One for each of my girlfriends. No, one for when I'm posting as Detrick and one as Jokerman. Also, a Blackberry for when I'm dilla.

i mean, you definitely reappear once your name is mentioned. It happened about a month ago, too when I said I thought it was you.

para·noia

1 : mental condition characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations

2 : a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others

Jokerman

i mean, you definitely reappear once your name is mentioned. It happened about a month ago, too when I said I thought it was you.
Reappear? I check this place daily or every few days at most. I'm mentioned, I make a reply. Not much I've wanted to reply to lately.

Only resemblance to me is he seems smart and interested in stuff you don't hear everywhere. But it's mostly jumbled and irrelevant. I don't understand what he's doing if it's not just the way he is. I'd have no reason to post as him because one, it's not funny in any way, and two, it's just annoying. I'd reply to or add to some of it but there's nothing real there. I don't know what his reason for trolling would be, so I'm assuming it's really the way he thinks.

I am not tupac4li4e!! I'm flattered really. I think, going back 19/20 years - Jokerman is one of the most mysterious and intelligent members I've read here. Enough with personal attatchments! I don't really know what's real either.

Chillin with Summit Oktoberfest... cheers

dilla

Reappear? I check this place daily or every few days at most. I'm mentioned, I make a reply. Not much I've wanted to reply to lately.

Only resemblance to me is he seems smart and interested in stuff you don't hear everywhere. But it's mostly jumbled and irrelevant. I don't understand what he's doing if it's not just the way he is. I'd have no reason to post as him because one, it's not funny in any way, and two, it's just annoying. I'd reply to or add to some of it but there's nothing real there. I don't know what his reason for trolling would be, so I'm assuming it's really the way he thinks.

Fair enough. I felt the same way as you did, that he did his research but came to basically the exact opposite conclusions as you did.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.