This is my thread

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Read the comments on this. Make me want to punch myself.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...07399015.66594.293115550734024&type=1&theater

While the Boston bombings were unfair to the citizens of the USA, who cannot influence those incharge (and I don't mean Obama). In terms of terrorist attacks the damage was very minimal. Not even in the top 100.

I think what annoys me most is that people go completely over the top for a week. Then stop giving a fuck. Unless of course they were directly involved. I hate people. And animals. And almost everything.

It isn't just people on social media either. They think slapping ribbons on helmets and jerseys during the sporting events is going to change anything. It happened after the Sandy Hook shit. I look at that ribbon and see the NFL trying to capitalize off of it, not "remember the victims" and all that bullshit.

All of a sudden everyone's a Boston fan now. Fucking stupid. I don't know if other countries do this. I guess social media wasn't as big during the London and Madrid bombings and those were the last MAJOR ones on the West. The Mumbai bombings, maybe? Indian is just chalk full of rape, social media was all over that shit too.

I dunno. Maybe a bomb needs to go off in a place where there's lots of stupid people, not at a marathon for people that actually get up off their asses. Not a little kids school. Maybe....a Nicki Minaj concert.

Jokerman

Let's go Boston Celtics! I'm not anywhere near Boston but I was glad to get out of my riot gear and go to my local Boston Market for dinner last night (http://www.bostonmarket.com/home). Everyone there was in tears, and we all hugged and sang, "If I Die Tonight." I'm a nobody runner but I ate two extra servings of macaroni and cheese for the guy who lost his legs. Say a prayer to Loki for everyone in Boston. Now I can catch up with my soap operas and episodes of Homeland.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I guess social media wasn't as big during the London and Madrid bombings and those were the last MAJOR ones on the West.
I can't remember looking at FB, or being as angry about people back then.

But when I was a child and London was bombed several times a year, we didn't wear ribbons or have minute silences. We got on with our lives and were genuinely sad about those hurt.

I think it's our current culture. I don't know who shaped it. It's the same everytime someone does something wrong, people call for them to be sacked. It seems to be the new standard. A bit like horrific events and everyone showing how deeply moved they are, and how they care more than the next person. It's...... Fake..!

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
You gotta be able to tune things out. For example, I learned a long time ago not to read YouTube comments. I didn't read any racist Twitter comments towards the Czechs (many people didn't see the distinction between Chechens and Czechs) because I don't follow a million weirdos on Twitter and thankfully, the few people I do follow, didn't retweet nonsense. I didn't watch CNN coverage of the bombings. I've come largely unscathed in terms of being frustrated by mainstream and/or social media.

I don't mind tributes. Yeah, people capitalize off of it, but people like it. People like seeing 20,000 people singing the national anthem inside a sports arena.

I also made a conscious attempt to stay away from voicing my opinion. My only input was re-sharing this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/16/boston-marathon-explosions-notes-reactions

dilla

I skimmed the pics and the captions... I think someone has too much time on their hands. People will do anything for attention and page hits, and I'm willing to bet about a third of my FB friends would share this if they came across it.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I skimmed the pics and the captions... I think someone has too much time on their hands. People will do anything for attention and page hits, and I'm willing to bet about a third of my FB friends would share this if they came across it.
I only skimmed it too. And I agree. But also.... Some of the points he raised have made me think. I am not an expert, but he makes a good argument.

dilla

I'm pretty sure most of those photos are not genuine. Hoaxes always come up during stuff like this. Remember the 9/11 one with the guy on the sky deck and the plane flying right behind him?

And dumb ass shit like this http://imgur.com/a/Nx8EU

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
This.... Is us.... Or at least used to be.

NEW YORK—A report published Friday by a team of sociologists has confirmed there are apparently people living in the world today who are deeply concerned about the current state of hip-hop and who continually express genuine worry over the musical genre’s future.
According to the findings, at any given moment, hundreds of very serious conversations about the changing face of hip-hop are taking place, with many individuals appearing to have an actual emotional stake in matters such as the values of modern-day rappers, technology’s impact on the music, and Gucci Mane’s eventual place in cultural history.
“These people actually exist,” said New York University sociologist David Wolfsheim, who stressed that he was not referring just to artists, music industry employees, or even professional critics, but to everyday individuals who, for reasons not yet understood, feel a heavy personal investment in the state of hip-hop. “They experience true anxiety, day in and day out, about where the music has been and where it’s headed, almost as if their own futures depended upon it.”
“Believe it or not, these are otherwise normal people who are unable to listen to a single track by someone like Lil Wayne or Rick Ross without immediately worrying about whether the song remains true to hip-hop’s roots,” Wolfsheim continued. “This is a real thing that happens.”
Calculations from the report indicate that the amount of time and energy such individuals devote to their concern over the quality of today’s hip-hop artists and the direction it is taking is roughly equivalent to what ordinary human beings might devote to working hard at a chosen career, spending time with family and loved ones, or finding ways to actually contribute something to the communities in which they live.
The report also confirmed that the sentences “Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge,” “The over-commercialization of rap is ruining modern music,” and “Sometimes, it seems like nothing will ever top classic Public Enemy,” are all statements that have been uttered with full sincerity over the past year.
“Many of these individuals have been known to devise complex theories as to why hip-hop’s sound has changed over the years, and some have even written serious, in-depth manifestos on how the genre’s ‘authenticity’ can be restored,” Wolfsheim said. “Most worryingly, perhaps, the stress levels observed in these individuals as they discuss hip-hop’s declining relevance to our culture is off the charts.”
“They get really, really upset about it,” he added.
In addition, Wolfsheim noted the discovery of hundreds of websites and blogs that appear to be entirely dominated by very earnest debates about what it means to be a true hip-hop artist, and how a higher level of consciousness “must” be revived in rap. According to estimates, approximately 237 million words have been devoted to the theory that the music has changed because today’s performers didn’t “come up as hard” as earlier generations and will “just say whatever it takes to sell a record.”
Thirty-nine-year-old Boise, ID resident Wallace Briggs, a real-life human being who described himself as “deeply troubled by at least nine distinct trends in modern hip-hop,” spoke to reporters Friday about his gravest fears.
“Sometimes I lie awake in the middle of the night thinking, my God, what if the golden age of hip-hop is over for good?” said Briggs, a physical therapist and father of two. “It’s devastating. I just don’t know if the artists emerging today can ever restore the social relevance and cultural vibrancy of the music.”
Pressed for further comment, Briggs acknowledged that he has been voicing this exact same sentiment about hip-hop since 1988.

Jokerman

Some of the other photos and points, raise some questions in my mind.
Even the mother of the two suspects has fallen for this.

The suspects' mother, speaking to CNN's Nick Paton Walsh, didn't want to accept the reality of the bombing, saying it was fake. "That's what I want to know, because everybody's talking about it -- that this is a show, that's what I want to know. That's what I want to understand," said Zubeidat Tsarnaev. She has seen a video pushing the wild idea, she said, adding that there was no blood -- and that paint was used instead.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/us/boston-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.