This is my thread

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Anyone know what's up with the Himalayan Project and Oblique Brown? Haven't heard their stuff since like...2008. New stuff.

dilla

CSF is ridiculous. Thanks for sharing that, Aron.

I'm looking for music like theirs, especially in this song:

It just gives you a real chill vibe. For some reason, when the flow sounds like it's never-ending, and just so fluid and continuous like these guys, that's relaxing to me. The beat as well is real chill, repetitive.... It just reminds me of the real chill hip hop from way back when, a lot like A Tribe Called Quest and stuff like that. Maybe I need to go back to see old artists with similar styles that I missed... but it seems like there are modern artists out there that still maintain the same style.

masta247

Staff member
I can't really force myself into liking Kendrick Lamar. I tried to listen to a lot of his songs for over an hour and I didn't like a single one. He sounds dull to me, like a blend of artists who already did it better.

dilla

Damn, I still haven't given the album a listen despite having it for weeks now.

Another side note about Clear Soul Forces, their productions remind me ALOT of The Molemen, who had amazing beats as well.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Kendrick Lamar is honest hip-hop. He isn't back-pack rap / he isn't mainstream rap. He isn't political / he isn't a sell-out. He isn't gangsta rap / He isn't pop. He is Kendrick Lamar. And that's what makes him great.

I find it hard to believe people don't like him. Section 80 was great. His guest appearances are great. GKMC is well written, well produced, brilliantly mixed and very enjoyable. I don't really like Compton, but I understand it's relevance on the album.

Has the mixtape been released with all the original samples yet?

I am finding a lot of new hip-hop that is enjoyable. As well as older artists who are still putting out music.

masta247

Staff member
Yeah, perhaps why he isn't so appealing to me is because he sounds like he's nothing outstanding. I'm also finding some new hip-hop enjoyable and I also hear a lot of good things about Kendrick Lamar, that's why I was giving him a try. It's not like I don't like him. I feel kind of neutral about him. I think his music is not bad but I don't enjoy listening to it. I feel no enjoment while listening to him.

dilla

Yeah, perhaps why he isn't so appealing to me is because he sounds like he's nothing outstanding. I'm also finding some new hip-hop enjoyable and I also hear a lot of good things about Kendrick Lamar, that's why I was giving him a try. It's not like I don't like him. I feel kind of neutral about him. I think his music is not bad but I don't enjoy listening to it. I feel no enjoment while listening to him.

I think just the number of people that are talking about him right now on here, Facebook, etc., will subconsciously build your hopes and expectations for this guy up. It'll happen and you can't do anything about it. I felt the same way about Lupe back in 07. And Kanye. Maybe I just like my artists to stay underground and not hyped by others.

dilla

I missed Killah Priest's The 3 Day Theory album, for some reason. So I downloaded that. Great, as usual. Did not know he was a part of Wu Tang...or affiliated. Some shit. It was on his Wiki. He seems more religious in his raps and about social commentary. I like that. It's almost spiritual or like motivational music you would normal get in a religious song, but not so much of a deity involved. Or it's ambiguous so it's not too religion specific. I dunno. It's not like Vinny Paz's pro-Islam, anti-Judaism/Christianity propaganda.

Da_Funk

of course.

Anyway, Kendrick is one of those all-around artists where if you ask 5 different people what songs are their favorite or what songs best exemplify him, you'd get 5 different answers.

But, FUNK, if you want to know why he's a lyrical beast and why his delivery is top notch, just listen to his two verses on this song. carefully. peep the word choice. he thought this shit through.

The top comment on the video tells you when Kendrick comes on. That should tell you.
Thanks mate.

I gave it a try, doesn't float my boat. I was definitely a Tupac fan in my early days, and not a rap fan =P

dilla

I love how we all forgot that little bastard was still up there doing what it's been doing for hours on end the last few months. The hype around it really died out. That saddens me about humanity. Including myself. What the fuck are we doing feigning interest in anything because it's trending on Twitter?

Anyway, I still have 31 albums to download with no penalty so if you guys are looking for anything rare or obscure or something in a different quality, let me know. I can get it for you and host it on my Box.com account for a few days.

Like I said, I picked up a Killah Priest album. Our new favorite, Clear Soul Forces, had their latest album as well as an older EP on there.

Question for those that listen to rock, and I feel like it's a stupid question, but I have to know. Which would be better to download if I were downloading an old band, like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, the album that is dated closer to the release or a more recent release of that album? Why is the older album download even an option? Wouldn't it just sound so much better with the newer more recent versions?

I'm no collector so what form I own means nothing to me; I just want the one that lets me enjoy the music the most. Clearest, most vibrant sounding one.

I think I own the discographies for these bands, but they were downloaded from various sources so some sound great and some are old and new and shitty and this and that. If downloading the more recent releases of the albums like I have the opportunity to right now would result in a drastic difference, I'll do it.

If anyone wants an invite to this site, I'll trade you. I don't want another invite to somewhere else. Just bring something unique to the table.

ARon

As far as rock goes a lot of the newer stuff is remastered. It sounds better but at the same time it doesn't. It will sound cleaner but for me that raw sound is what makes it great.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.