The difference between East Coast and West Coast rap.

roaches

I know a lot of people say that Game flows like an east coast rapper & using the same type of wordplay.
So which east coast rappers does Game flow like? I know he studied G. Rap and Rakim, but they predate the kind of regionalism in hip-hop that exists today.

Anyway, in my initial point, I meant things like
The Diplomats referencing west coast beats ("Dope Man'", "Certified Gangstas", "Ambitionz as a Killah")
Fabolous and Jadakiss getting Nate Dogg to sing on their singles ("Time's Up", "Can't Deny It")
50 Cent hopping on Dr. Dre beats (and a southern flow, but that's another story)
Biggie and DJ Premier religiously studying The Chronic
Nas getting Dr. Dre and Trackmasters-impersonating-the-west-coast to do his album after his first one failed to blow up as expected.You don't get a lot of west coast or third coast cats doing the same thing to modern east coast rap. Sure, you've got cats pooh-poohing Jay-Z right now, but since the early '90s on, most of east coast rap's growth musically has just been a reaction to what west coast and southern hip-hop are doing.

VENOMOUS

On Probation: Please report any break in the guide
roaches said:
So which east coast rappers does Game flow like? I know he studied G. Rap and Rakim, but they predate the kind of regionalism in hip-hop that exists today.

The Diplomats referencing west coast beats ("Dope Man'", "Certified Gangstas", "Ambitionz as a Killah")
Fabolous and Jadakiss getting Nate Dogg to sing on their singles ("Time's Up", "Can't Deny It")
50 Cent hopping on Dr. Dre beats (and a southern flow, but that's another story)
Nas getting Dr. Dre and Trackmasters-impersonating-the-west-coast to do his album after his first one failed to blow up as expected.You don't get a lot of west coast or third coast cats doing the same thing to modern east coast rap. Sure, you've got cats pooh-poohing Jay-Z right now, but since the early '90s on, most of east coast rap's growth musically has just been a reaction to what west coast and southern hip-hop are doing.
That all true but the game still sounds like a east coast rapper.just like one of the 106 park ass nigga

roaches said:

I was just saying what I've read & heard people say, personally I don't really have an opinion on whether or not he's trying to sound like he's from the east coast so I can't answer your question.

roaches

That all true but the game still sounds like a east coast rapper.just like one of the 106 park ass nigga
Please be more specific. Last time I caught 106 & Park, the only east coast song on there was Ja Rule's "New York".

WessideThuggin said:
What would you consider the differences in styles between West Coast and East Coast rap?
Beats number one.

Also, FROM WHAT I'VE LISTENED TO, West Coast rappers tend to talk about real life situations that they've encountered, they tell more of a story.

East Coast rap is MORE ABOUT punchlines, word play and so forth.

Eastcoast rap sounds more grimy to me, at least it did in the mid nineties. I love that style way better than westcoast rap. The type of records like Illmatic, The Infamous and Enter The Wu-Tang are really grimy eastcoast shit. Love that style.

So people in NY can not be Bloods simply because California claimed gangs first?
You do you know Jim Jones does have a criminal background of gang relations and gang activity right?So saying that gangsters in NY are biting from the West is bullshit.There are gangs everywhere.

Infamous Josedy said:
So people in NY can not be Bloods simply because California claimed gangs first?
You do you know Jim Jones does have a criminal background of gang relations and gang activity right?So saying that gangsters in NY are biting from the West is bullshit.There are gangs everywhere.
Yeah, over here in the D we got Latin Counts, which wear the blue's like Crips.

However, Crips/Bloods don't bang here. Detroit has actually toned down on gans A LOT in the past 10 years. When I was in high school 91-95, Latin Counts were bigtime.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online