The anti-Hip Hop Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like disco had the great backlash at some point that destroyed it, I think its time to start an anti-hip hop movement. I was actually a fan of it back in the day, but the bling bling era needs to die now. What better place to start it than the SH forum?
Lets consider today's hip hop and its contributions:

1) The stupidest lyrics ever and that is a big statement considering the lyrics of the 80s hair metal scene. Every hip hop/r&b song has "in da club" "me and my girls in da club" etc Ok, you like the club we get it, thanks for ruining it too.

2) Hip hop takes all the worst qualities of the hood and actually makes them desirable goals for minority youth. This glorification of being a gangsta or pimp has undoubtedly sent the misguided youths of the ghetto to a nice place in Cell Block Dumb. Well, at least they arrived there a year or two earlier.

3) Normal people have to feel embarrassed for white guys like Justin Timberlake who humiliate themselves by speaking in ebonics in front of a national audience.

4) It gives 20 million ghetto youth the false impression that they can be one of the few dozen or so rappers that made it by speaking in ebonics and dressing like a clown. Then they step into the real world and scratch their heads at why they can't get a job and blame it on racists white people.

5) every song sounds the same and embodies the word unoriginal

...do I need to go on?

Rap is terrible now, and I can't stand urban/hip-hop culture, and its cliched materialism/violence/misogyny.

The backlash begins here and now!!!!!!!

Little Skittle

agree with wut u sed for the most part...but an anti-hip hop movement? remember...mostly only commercial rap is like this...there is still a huge quantity of wonderful hip hop being released yearly

S. Fourteen

1) Don't listen to it. Club songs are for the the clubs. Who sits at a club and think deeply about the lyrics?

2) Hip Hop is not a parent figure.

3) Yeah you're right, Hip hop is terrible.

4) I think that ties into #2. It's ok to have dreams and aspirations but kids need to be taught to think realistically.

5) I haven't heard every song so I can't comment on that. I do think some of the shit has been repetitive but I still enjoy every aspect of hip hop culture.

HellRazor05 said:
Why are you even a member of this board if your against hip-hop?
Check your signature HellRazor05, you're talking to the same guy. It's confusing to me as well.

just turn off the radio and tv

and pick up some real hip hop

dead prez, j-live, immortal technique, pep love, the coup, paris, pe still puts out great material

theres plenty of non-commercial bling bling where my bitches at hip hop

Thanks for the reply guys. I think that maybe I should go deeper into this so you guys can see why Hip Hop has turned ugly. Commercial rap has taken over and that is why I am considering rap as a whole. The rap industry= commercial rap now.

Rap has been a continual cancer on the black community. It teaches young blacks that they don't need education, they need to be a thug and deal drugs. Our prisons are FULL of young black men who were just "trying to survive" and no doubt got that from listening to rap music. 78% of black households do not have a father; So it is no surprise that their youth look up to these male images as father figures on HOW to live your life. VEry very sad.
All these rappers who sing about the good life and all the money they have are sell outs as far as i'm concerned. If they want to give back they should tell these young kids to do good in school and to improve their mind, not try to improve the number and quality of gold teeth in their mouths.

I will come back and reply to your posts individually. I have to go eat lunch. Some food for thought.

Little Skittle said:
agree with wut u sed for the most part...but an anti-hip hop movement? remember...mostly only commercial rap is like this...there is still a huge quantity of wonderful hip hop being released yearly
Yes what you say is correct. However, commercial rap makes up most of the industry nowadays and is being given the most exposure by our local media. Therefore, most youths will be exposed to this kind of commercialized hip hop rather than the wonderful hip hop you and others suggest. There might be some positive in what these distinct groups of rappers do but the negativity of commercialized rap outweighs the postive.

Rap setting a roadmap for ghetto youth to a life involving either minimum wage jobs or prison is not empowering those communities. Can you find the andecotal evidence where MC Pimpy-pimp Boo built a basketball court in his "hood" for the children? Sure. But for everyone of those "positive" stories, there are at least a thousand where rap has influnenced ghetto youth in a negative way.

AnarchistFunk said:
just turn off the radio and tv

and pick up some real hip hop

dead prez, j-live, immortal technique, pep love, the coup, paris, pe still puts out great material

theres plenty of non-commercial bling bling where my bitches at hip hop
Agreed. However I am not pointing at these groups. I am pointing at rap/hip-hop in general. The big picture.

Wow
A Life... Get one
If ya don't like the current state of rap.. hmmm. dont listen to it.
I really dont think the rappers are going 2 give a flying fuck that u dont like their lyrics, they are selling millions. Get over it and listen to old school shit.

saltynuts said:
1) Don't listen to it. Club songs are for the the clubs. Who sits at a club and think deeply about the lyrics?

2) Hip Hop is not a parent figure.

3) Yeah you're right, Hip hop is terrible.

4) I think that ties into #2. It's ok to have dreams and aspirations but kids need to be taught to think realistically.

5) I haven't heard every song so I can't comment on that. I do think some of the shit has been repetitive but I still enjoy every aspect of hip hop culture.
The way you view the hip hop culture could be both positive and negative do you agree? I really dont want to assume how you view hip hop and how hip hop or judge how hip hop has affected your life because I dont know you. Also, I dont know if you are white or black.

I have a serious question for you - Do you think that in general, white youth and black youth view hip hop differently? Specifically, because hip hop is predominantly created by black artists, black youth aspire "to be" those artists, whereas white youth are more prone to just enjoy the music. I say this because in recent surveys, 90% of black high school students said they were going to be rappers or pro athetes after high school, in contrast to the majority of white students saying they were going to college. Both groups enjoy the music - but I think generally speaking, both assimilate it differently. So, while rap has never been a negative influence(I assume) on you, it is in direct correlation with other groups of people(blacks) and that is why their society is so corrupted.

7Datskat34 said:
Wow
A Life... Get one
If ya don't like the current state of rap.. hmmm. dont listen to it.
I really dont think the rappers are going 2 give a flying fuck that u dont like their lyrics, they are selling millions. Get over it and listen to old school shit.
Way to side-step and avoid articulating any kind of sound argument. We all know its easier to just say "I'm tired" or "this is a dumb ass thread" than to debate the issue on its merits. Please leave this thread if you wish to reduce it to your juvenile insults without offering any kind of contribution in form of intelligent argument. Thank you.

i don't agree with your post what so ever.

anti-HipHop wtf?!...man, how long have u been listening to rap?!

first of all...Hiphop is the culture, and rap is the music of that culture

second of all...all the negetive things u posted about rap were about commercial rap..which leads me to beleive that you don't listen to underground what so ever

as far as originality: check out Canibus

positive lyrics: check out Common

anti bling?: Masta Ace

diversity: check out Murs

need i go on?

stop watching MTV.

Upper-CUT said:
The way you view the hip hop culture could be both positive and negative do you agree? I really dont want to assume how you view hip hop and how hip hop or judge how hip hop has affected your life because I dont know you. Also, I dont know if you are white or black.

I have a serious question for you - Do you think that in general, white youth and black youth view hip hop differently? Specifically, because hip hop is predominantly created by black artists, black youth aspire "to be" those artists, whereas white youth are more prone to just enjoy the music. I say this because in recent surveys, 90% of black high school students said they were going to be rappers or pro athetes after high school, in contrast to the majority of white students saying they were going to college. Both groups enjoy the music - but I think generally speaking, both assimilate it differently. So, while rap has never been a negative influence(I assume) on you, it is in direct correlation with other groups of people(blacks) and that is why their society is so corrupted.

you're probably a surburban white kid. just shutup and let people listen to whatever the fuck they want to listen to.

music doesn't make you pull the trigger, or sell dope.

Upper-CUT said:
Way to side-step and avoid articulating any kind of sound argument. We all know its easier to just say "I'm tired" or "this is a dumb ass thread" than to debate the issue on its merits. Please leave this thread if you wish to reduce it to your juvenile insults without offering any kind of contribution in form of intelligent argument. Thank you.
I dont need 2 say anything "intelligent" this isn't a debate. You posted something retarded saying "let's not listen 2 hip hop!" on a hip hop website, do u really think anyone is gonna listen 2 u? This isn't an intelligent thread it's just some dumbass trying 2 get attention and ruin it for everyone else.

HellRazor05 said:
Why are you even a member of this board if your against hip-hop? It doesn't make sense to me.......yeah the whole "bling bling" thing is whack but its still somethin to dance to in a club. Your goin at the whole industry which isn't right.
Because I am first and foremost a tupac shakur fan. He got me into hip hop. You suggest something about commercial music being used to feed the club goers. But don't you think that the ghetto youth can adversly be affected in a negative way by materialistic music such as these commercialzed "club" music? I mean, even though they are underage or poor, they can still get enough money to buy a 50 cent cd and start getting into the thuggish, materialistic mentality. Are you saying that the music they create for clubs does not affect the ghetto youth in any way? We know its for clubs, we know it sucks and if you dont like it then dont listen to it. HOWEVER, this type of music is affecting our youth whether you like it or not.

DJ THREAT said:
you're probably a surburban white kid. just shutup and let people listen to whatever the fuck they want to listen to.

music doesn't make you pull the trigger, or sell dope.
It doesn't? Are you telling me that this type of music does not affect younger black males who are living the life of crime and who have no father figures to tell them what to do? Stop being so ignorant.

Upper-CUT said:
It doesn't? Are you telling me that this type of music does not affect younger black males who are living the life of crime and who have no father figures to tell them what to do? Stop being so ignorant.
*Bumps in da club*
yaaaa now i feel like killing someone cause 50 cent was in da club

7Datskat34 said:
I dont need 2 say anything "intelligent" this isn't a debate. You posted something retarded saying "let's not listen 2 hip hop!" on a hip hop website, do u really think anyone is gonna listen 2 u? This isn't an intelligent thread it's just some dumbass trying 2 get attention and ruin it for everyone else.
I have stated something and people have opposing views. Some of these people agree with me. So this automatically becomes a debate moron. Are you still in 5th grade? If you don't like this thread then simply leave because you have nothing worthy to say. Stop wasting my time. If you want to bitch and provide childish remarks then please stay outta this thread and go to the first "Master P's chains are cool" thread and provide your dumbass post there. This IS a discussion forum AM I CORRECT?

de·bate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d->t)
v. de·bat·ed, de·bat·ing, de·bates
v. intr.
To consider something; deliberate.
To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
To engage in a formal discussion or argument.

I am not going to reply to you anymore so fuck off.

Upper-CUT said:
Agreed. However I am not pointing at these groups. I am pointing at rap/hip-hop in general. The big picture.
well i guess thats where our opinions are different

to me THAT IS HIP HOP

50 cent, nelly, eminem, snoop etc, to me thats not hip hop, thats pop music, its dance music, they might be rapping, but its NOT hip hop

i used to let motherfuckers like that bother me, and i agree with what youre saying to a certain extent, but they are more influencing mainstream suburbia then innercitys, some young kids yes love 50 and shit, but most people i know laugh at them motherfuckers cuz they aint hip hop, just gimmicks like britney spears, new kids on the block, justin timberlake etc, just mtv/corporate america money machines, they are products of the machine and system, and to me hip hop doesnt represent either, so to me they are not hip hop

like i said before turn that shit off and enjoy the REAL shit and dont let the fake shit infiltrate your vibes

peace

7Datskat34 said:
*Bumps in da club*
yaaaa now i feel like killing someone cause 50 cent was in da club
Is that the only song I am talking about? How about the commercialized violent songs? Are you the target demographic I am talking about? ie the people who are going to be most affected by this type of music?

You are probabely one rich ass spoiled kid that has a naive view that the world is what you see on TV.

I agree with you completely but there is some great hip hop out there. But most of it is shit. They make pimpin (making of women or men sold for sex) as a great thing. Also they make being a gangsta ( a person who does stuff on the street and does many illegal things) rappers make it sound great. Thats horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.