Rappers "ending" others' rap careers

krs-one had beef with nelly, i think nelly lost his respect in the rap community after that
sure, he sells lotta records, but there arent real mc's respecting him...

ll cool j's "the ripper strikes back" was a bomb
also canibus' respect wasnt so big after that, even though he's a great rapper...

ARon

CoolWaterz said:
you just dont get it do you....its about SALES, SALES, SALES...if you cant sell anymore, who the fuck cares how many albums you release your career is over. Mobb Deep is a group that came out with Shook Ones and survival of the fittest....They were dropped from their label because they were no longer a selling group...THAT MEANS YOUR CAREER IS OVER...yes you can jump ship to the "hottest new label out there" and try your hardest to jump on the bandwagon with the newest thing out, but once you have to do that it means your in hot water to begin with.
Ja Rule as well cannot sell shit these days. Do you see his face on tv everywhere these days, his voice on every other remix? No. He doesnt even have a fan base in NY whose "keepin it real" and respects his music only and not the pop shit...he just cant move units my friend...

Your looking into this as if we're immature and "dumb" and you have some higher degree of intelligence on us, but it aint rocket science. Stop trying to sound so friggin enlightened...

If you lose your credibility in hiphop you lose your career.
So what is a career? Probably a job/business that supports you and your family. Ja Rule hasn't lost anything, how can you call his career over, hes still making above the average US salary, quite a career if you look at it. Mobb Deep had a top single with their last album, but they are over..... Do you even know how many rappers actually go platinum or sell numbers like your "SALES SALES SALES." Its like the US, 1% of the population is actually millionaires. Ja Rule goes gold with his last album, well hes still doin better than what, 70-80% of the rappers out there, but fuck his career is over. But i'm looking at this like i'm "immature and dumb", so anyone who aint doin numbers like 50 must mean their career is over, if im looking at it "mature and intelligent"? . Truthfully who even fucking cares about sales. If Tupac sells 1 album would you still call him the best??? You know it is possible for an "artist" to care about his art and not material things. But its also possible for "entertainers" to just use an art to make money. So you decide which side of the fence you are on and then tell me his career is over. Whats the Roaches quote everyone has in their Sig "Hip-Hop can be measured in something greater than numbers and soundscan units" (something like that.) So in reality as long as an artist is doing his thing, you know making and evolving his art, then no his career isnt over. But enough with that "enlightened" bullshit.

Its quite simple, no one has had their career ended.
And its quite fucking obvious from this thread, no rapper can end a career, only groupie fans can.

Aristotle said:
So what is a career? Probably a job/business that supports you and your family. Ja Rule hasn't lost anything, how can you call his career over, hes still making above the average US salary, quite a career if you look at it. Mobb Deep had a top single with their last album, but they are over..... Do you even know how many rappers actually go platinum or sell numbers like your "SALES SALES SALES." Its like the US, 1% of the population is actually millionaires. Ja Rule goes gold with his last album, well hes still doin better than what, 70-80% of the rappers out there, but fuck his career is over. But i'm looking at this like i'm "immature and dumb", so anyone who aint doin numbers like 50 must mean their career is over, if im looking at it "mature and intelligent"?.
The fact of the matter in Ja Rules case is that he was multi platinum selling artist as was Mobb Deep. They are not selling nearly as much as they did...your saying cause their rich , their career will never be over. Do you know many CEO's and such that quit just because they landed the job and made a few mil from their salary....dude these guys are young..they want to keep making music..Ja rule had to resort to going on MTV with that publicist show and be embarrassed cause he had nothing to sign...and no fans to sign for.
and Mobb Deep is coming from a classic album The Infamous to getting dropped from their label for not selling enough.

If you dont produce, your out....thats the way it is in the business world...and if they can no longer live up to their expectations and get weaker and weaker sale wise with every album they put out...at what point you gonna say their done man...it has nothing to do with being a millionaire. MC HAMMER was a fuckin millionaire...His album "Da Funky Headhunter" still went like platinum, you tell me was his career over?

ARon

Mc hammer stopped making music, thats why his career is over, there is a difference, did you even read my shit, SALES DONT MEAN SHIT, get it through your groupie ass head. Talking about The Infamous, do you think it went multi-platinum when it came out about a decade ago? And yes they are young 30+........ besides your stupidity they still are making music so how can you say they are over, they still sell albums they still make music they still receive checks that feed their families i mean what the fuck, you want them to become Bill Gates. Ja Rule had to resort to MTV??? Doesn't everyone who sells resort to MTV? Be real, you act like going gold is a defeat, his sales might have dropped but his career is no where near over, he is making music, and until then, until an artist stops doing what he loves then you can call his career over. Get off your billboard charts and listen to the music, LISTEN.

I think people where getting tired of Ja anyway before 50 blew up. The Last Temptation sucked, he was on everything with his annoying voice singing, he was aligning himself with 2pac thus increasing the biting alledgations, not to mention the whole "Pledge" thing, plus his & Irv's ego was getting way big to the point they were just saying crazy shit in interviews...and just at the right time, along comes an old rival named 50 Cent...

CoolWaterz said:
The fact of the matter in Ja Rules case is that he was multi platinum selling artist as was Mobb Deep. They are not selling nearly as much as they did...your saying cause their rich , their career will never be over. Do you know many CEO's and such that quit just because they landed the job and made a few mil from their salary....dude these guys are young..they want to keep making music..Ja rule had to resort to going on MTV with that publicist show and be embarrassed cause he had nothing to sign...and no fans to sign for.
and Mobb Deep is coming from a classic album The Infamous to getting dropped from their label for not selling enough.

If you dont produce, your out....thats the way it is in the business world...and if they can no longer live up to their expectations and get weaker and weaker sale wise with every album they put out...at what point you gonna say their done man...it has nothing to do with being a millionaire. MC HAMMER was a fuckin millionaire...His album "Da Funky Headhunter" still went like platinum, you tell me was his career over?
u need to check soundscan lately aint nobody sellin 'like they used to' unless they have a certain promotion team :thumb:

fabolous dropped to not even gold from double plat.
trick daddy not even platinum
fat joe aint gettin nowhere near his last platinum solo cd
camron, nas, mase, beanie siegel, memphis bleek, young gunz, cassidy definetely aint breakin gold unless he is granted 3 wishes, nelly aint sellin like normal, ludacris, xzibit........
unless ur backed by a = interscope or have a crunk gimmick goin on ie lil jon, mike jones then u aint goin multi platinum.

gold is the new platinum, sounds corny but its true :eek:

hmm why is KRS only being mentioned with PM Dawn?... doesn't BDP VS QB count also?... I think that KRS practically ended MC Shan's career with South Bronx/The Bridge Is Over... ofcourse he didn't literally end it since they were still making shit but things were never really the same with MC Shan and Marley Marl (and most of the Juice Crew members) after Criminal Minded

I just wanted to state something about the 2pac and Biggie beef. The person who said that biggie was sort of fading out in 96 and had a lil bit of hate is right. Biggie was pushed as to being the KONY. But every other mc was fighting for that spot also.

Nas
"Let me let ya'll niggaz know one thing, there's one life one love so there could only be one king"

Jay was trying to get recongnition in ny as the best. He didn't make it more known till after biggie died.

Mobb Deep was dropping flames in the street that time. A lot of people thought biggie was a bit fake since pac took a shot at his character. I was hanging out a lot in brooklyn at the time and alot of people was bumpin hitemup when it came out. a lot of people were playing the cassette version in their car. It was a scathering diss track. If anything everybody felt bad for biggie. He was either getting dissed by other mcs (Guru. Nas, Ghost, Rae, Pac, Outlawz, DPG) or was going through his personal life with faith. There was no togetherness in ny. Biggie's only ally was jay-z. I'm not gonna even consider junior mafia cuz they wasn't popular like all the other artists i mentioned. Fugees and Da Brat defended biggie but the fact is they didn't know half the story that happened in 94. That's btw pac and biggie and they should've kept there mouths closed. A lot of people were thinking that biggie was a fraud. That he wasn't no player that he didn't have no money or anything. Pac wanted to crumble badboy and they easily faded out in 96. You didn't hear a peep from them because pac was pissed because of 94. No one ever called him or visit. Stretch hanging out with biggie at his concerts and no visiting pac either. Pac thought biggie betrayed him and that's why he was hellbent in destroying biggie with disses left and right. Now once pac was dead and the east/west died down. Then that's when biggie took the time to comeback in the game to try to take the throne again since he had no one coming out with albums and pac was no longer a threat.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.