New York Post Cartoon Re: Hip Hop

anyone else think that the analogy in this comic is completely rediculous?

seriously, i mean...personally i feel that true HipHop is one of the most amazing art forms to have EVER come along...

its certainly much more than this racist characature has to offer.

kman_69 said:
anyone else think that the analogy in this comic is completely rediculous?

seriously, i mean...personally i feel that true HipHop is one of the most amazing art forms to have EVER come along...

its certainly much more than this racist characature has to offer.

no not really, infact its the truth, whens the last time u saw a video on mtv with a black rapper talking bout something dear to him like his kids(other than the aftertmath camp & just a moment by nas)his wife,instead its just vids about him killin niggaz,fuckin bitches,chillin is his convertable, yeah your right hip hop is one of the most amazing art forms but it doesnt change the fact that its controlled by white guys that are pulling the strings.

Actually I think Pittsey (and Militant) might be right. I thought the first picture using coon-like drawings but it does look like white guys with their faces painted.
LOL, what race are you? Just curious because I found it ironic that you've referred to the two "possible black characters" in the drawing as "coons" or "coon-like' twice that I've seen in a thread discussion racism and judging whether or not a cartoon is racist.

I ain't blastin', just commenting on it cuz I thought it was kinda funny. What was your initial impression of the 'toon, what is your second thought impression?

The first picture doesn't just simply show black people though, either the artist drew them as coons or it's, like Pittsey said, white people with make-up.
Eh...I don't konw. I'm not counting it out...just skeptical. I still find it fucked up though.

Militant said:
Thanx Chronic. I made my post becus I thought it was obvious that they were minstrels. Guess not everyone saw it like that.
I had never even heard of mistrels until this thread. I visited the link Pittsey provided briefly. Didn't read anything to find out what a "minstrel" actually is, but I will.

Diddy7 said:
Read the word above the post. It reads "Progress." This is a racist cartoon. The message being displayed in the past black people were entertaining the white people as clowns or whatever they are and then 30 years later its the same thing except with gangsta rappers. Get it? They are emphasizing progress, or in this case lack of.
:thumb:

That's my thought. If it's not racist, what's the "Progress" header for?

back in the day, ie early 1900's there was this performer named Al Jolston (white dude), whos act was to paint his face black and do a sing n dance routine to showtunes, depicted on the left...then present day, actual black dudes making this happen..being subjected to entertaining people by talking bout killing each other n shit... anyhow I think it just shows the entertainment value that blacks have, c'mon man jimi hendrix, tupac, prince.. if its anything, its prob just showing that hip hop is an act.. no racial tension here, i think its pretty funny..if ur a hip hop fan ur perpetuating the stereotype on the right...so get a sense of humor

That cartoon is comparing gangster rap to a minstrel show. I can't blame the cartoonist for feeling that way considering recent events, and as a matter of fact, I actually agree with him. Gangster rap (note I said gangster rap, not all rap) is pretty much a minstrel show, portraying negative stereotypes of black people, and black culture. Also, there's nothing racist about that cartoon, at all.

Oh, and that cartoon appeared in the New York Daily News.

Chronic

jason_g_718 said:
LOL, what race are you? Just curious because I found it ironic that you've referred to the two "possible black characters" in the drawing as "coons" or "coon-like' twice that I've seen in a thread discussion racism and judging whether or not a cartoon is racist.

I ain't blastin', just commenting on it cuz I thought it was kinda funny. What was your initial impression of the 'toon, what is your second thought impression?

Eh...I don't konw. I'm not counting it out...just skeptical. I still find it fucked up though.
Lol idiot.

That type of racist drawing is called a coon. That's why I'm referring to them as coons.
And to answer your question, I'm half black, half white.

If any statement should be questioned it should be yours

jason_g_718 said:
I am not racist at all, but if EVER I were going to throw the "N" word at someone, it'd be Shaq.

It has nothing to do with minstrels. It is about black people being nothing but entertainment for whites. This cartoon came out in right after the Hot 97 shooting(NYC rap shooting/NYC paper???), during the peak of when everyone was talking about the 50/Game thing.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Saroya said:
It has nothing to do with minstrels. It is about black people being nothing but entertainment for whites. This cartoon came out in right after the Hot 97 shooting(NYC rap shooting/NYC paper???), during the peak of when everyone was talking about the 50/Game thing.

Try thinking outside the box.

Pittsey said:
Try thinking outside the box.
Righttttttttttttttttttttt....So Rev. Al Sharpton starts getting mad about the Hot 97 shooting has nothing to do with the comic. This all happened in NYC, involved a NY rapper, and it has nothing to do with this. This all happens and people automatically think Big and Pac all over again has nothing to do with this. All the major stations/papers are covering this and this comic is just doing this on its own. Outta the blue. Right after all this happens and within a week of it happening??? :rolleyes:

But the artist is thinking minstrels. :rolleyes:

Silleone said:
no not really, infact its the truth, whens the last time u saw a video on mtv with a black rapper talking bout something dear to him like his kids(other than the aftertmath camp & just a moment by nas)his wife,instead its just vids about him killin niggaz,fuckin bitches,chillin is his convertable, yeah your right hip hop is one of the most amazing art forms but it doesnt change the fact that its controlled by white guys that are pulling the strings.

yeah thats the negative images portrayed by MTV...thats not hiphop. MTV is controlled by white guys, but hiphop is not..in fact i think hiphop is one of the only modern art forms to have successfully broken down racial barriers created by our society.....much the opposite to the minstrel shows

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Saroya said:
Righttttttttttttttttttttt....So Rev. Al Sharpton starts getting mad about the Hot 97 shooting has nothing to do with the comic. This all happened in NYC, involved a NY rapper, and it has nothing to do with this. This all happens and people automatically think Big and Pac all over again has nothing to do with this. All the major stations/papers are covering this and this comic is just doing this on its own. Outta the blue. Right after all this happens and within a week of it happening??? :rolleyes:

But the artist is thinking minstrels. :rolleyes:

So in the second pic are the people also black? If your answer is yes then please proceed to the nearest opticians!!!
And not everything relates to 50 cent.
But sorry you happen to be right because you wrote 10 lines of shit above.

Then you tell me what it means. With ur Minstrel theory...

I think it means that the steriotype for blacks, to whites, has changed but is still negative. Meaning there is no progress. And Black people are just helping in fueling this by their "representatives" doing stupid shit ie. 50 Cent.

But sorry you happen to be right because you wrote 10 lines of shit above.
While your explaining ur theory that they're Minstels...xplain what this means. Unless there sarcasm there then I didn't catch it.

Saroya said:
That makes sense, considering that at least 70% of all rap records are bought by whites.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Saroya said:
Then you tell me what it means. With ur Minstrel theory...

I think it means that the steriotype for blacks, to whites, has changed but is still negative. Meaning there is no progress. And Black people are just helping in fueling this by their "representatives" doing stupid shit ie. 50 Cent.

While your explaining ur theory that they're Minstels...xplain what this means. Unless there sarcasm there then I didn't catch it.

For that answer all you have to do is read my previous posts.
I believe it is about white people imitating black culture / music.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.