MTV's top 10 hip hop albums

On www.mtv.com in the news section they did a vote on what all of their heads at the station considered their top 10, each person voted with their #1 receiving 10 points, down to the #10 choice receiving 1 point. From the totals they got their top 10 hip hop list.
Some comments were interesting, especially things Sway said being that he met Pac a few times and did some interviews.

10. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions to Hold Us Back

9. 2Pac - 7 Day Theory point noted....
Originally, no Tupac album scored in the top 10, while two Biggie albums did. The team felt that even if that's how the original voting went, it couldn't stand by the list without Tupac being on it (see the Ready to Die page for the debate on cutting one of Biggie's gems.) So which Tupac album should be included, All Eyez on Me or the Makaveli album (The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory)? Or none at all? There were a few holdouts who felt Pac didn't necessarily belong on this list of the greatest of all time ...

8. Ice Cube - Death Certificate

7. NWA - Niggaz4Life

6. Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt

5. Run DMC - Raising Hell

4. Notrious BIG - Ready to Die points noted
Originally, two Biggie albums, Ready to Die and Life After Death, made the list, but no Tupac Shakur albums did. The majority decided that this shouldn't stand, and one of the Biggie albums would have to go to make room for a Pac LP

3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic

2. Nas - Illmatic

1. Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full

while I agree with some choices, the list seems out of order and I do not think that a Cubeless NWA was better than NWA with Cube, and it shocks me that none of them wanted to include a Pac album but did in the end because they felt obligated too.

PDT

Niggaz4Life? What tha fuck, it was tight, but top 10 my ass. Even though I completely agree that 7 Day Theory should be on there, I think it's stupid as fuck the way they did that. "Oh, if Biggie's on here, we can't leave 2Pac out" as if they're joined at tha fuckin' hip.

PDT said:
Niggaz4Life? What tha fuck, it was tight, but top 10 my ass. Even though I completely agree that 7 Day Theory should be on there, I think it's stupid as fuck the way they did that. "Oh, if Biggie's on here, we can't leave 2Pac out" as if they're joined at tha fuckin' hip.
I dont that what happened I think it was more like..ok we have made a top 10...are we forgetting something? Oh man no pac? than we have to make a choice...and they chose to take big's album out...

PDT

Maybe, but tha list isn't very good anyway. I stray from tha "politically correct" list of greatest albums. No Enter The Wu, fuck that shit

PDT

They did mention some underground shit at the end, I just read. A Tribe Called Quest "Midnight Marauders", Black Moon "Enta Da Stage" [Hell Yeah], Leaders Of The New School "A Future Without A Past", De La Soul "3 Feet High & Rising" and my shit Wu-Tang Clan "Enter The Wu-Tang [36 Chambers]". I'd take Enta Da Stage over like 3 albums on their list. I'd take Enter The Wu over all but 1 on there.

ARon

There list seems like they are albums that did something for Hip-Hop, excluding 3 albums out of the 10 that is a decent list. If Tupac was never on that list i'd be ok with it, same with Biggie, you can replace both of those albums with better ones. Other than that it is a decent list, order and all. The thing with any top 10 there are probably 50 or so albums that you can make claim for on it, if you look at each album you see where they are coming from, peace.

shit im supprised MTV didnt fill it with commercial albums...

not a bad list...but they shoulda put MATW for the Pac album.....its easily his best.

this is how my list would have looked (tho i dont think MTV did a terrible job)

10. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

9. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

8. 2Pac - 7 Day Theory

7. Dr. Dre - The Chronic

6. Nas - Illmatic

5. Bone Thugs - E1999

4. 2pac - Me Against The World

3. Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers

2. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

1. Cypress Hill - III Temples Of Boom (i know you prolly won't agree with this, but it is widely accepted as the best produced album of all time -at least on MUGGS board it is :D)

kman_69 said:
this is how my list would have looked (tho i dont think MTV did a terrible job)

10. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

9. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

8. 2Pac - 7 Day Theory

7. Dr. Dre - The Chronic

6. Nas - Illmatic

5. Bone Thugs - E1999

4. 2pac - Me Against The World

3. Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers

2. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

1. Cypress Hill - III Temples Of Boom (i know you prolly won't agree with this, but it is widely accepted as the best produced album of all time -at least on MUGGS board it is :D)
There ya go now you kinda have the same problems as MTV...

You can't make a top 10 without mentioning at least 1 biggie album...Or 1 pac album....So i say take 1 of those pac albums out of the list and replace it with a biggie album...

MAKaveli_10 said:
Damn this is soooo stupid. Straight outta Compton was better than niggaz for life. It changed gangsta rap. Also 3 tupac albums should have made the list. AEOM, 7 Day Theory, and MATW.
I agree and I agree.

I'm going through a ridiculous Eazy-E phase right now so I loaded my changer with all of his & NWA's albums, and I honeslty don't think N's4Life is that nice.

I'm just really suprised that Kanye or Game aren't on there. I can't stand MTV, I already know that I'll be hearing about this shit from my friends who think MTV is the end all and be all, and we're 23 YEARS OLD!!!

Fuck MTV.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.