Melle Mel compared 2Pac to Hitler?

roaches

Old, apparently, but:

http://www.sohh.com/thewire/read.php?contentID=7444

3. Melle Mel disses Rakim, KRS-One and Tupac Shakur. Ra, Kris and Pac might be in most heads' Top 10, but former Furious Five emcee Melle Mel doesn't think too highly of them. During a recent appearance on (New York) Power 105.1's Star and Bucwild morning show, Mel did the unthinkable and said Ra was "overrated with no stage presence." He then added that he "wouldn't put him in his Top 10 and that Rakim doesn't have the talent to drop a modern day Hip-Hop hit." Meanwhile, Mel said "people were blinded if KRS-One was their face of Hip-Hop." However, Kris was luckier than Ra and "barely scrapped" Mel's Top 10. Last but not least, Mel took a shot at Pac. The veteran lyricist compared Shakur to Hitler and said the fraudulent images he portrayed "brought down an entire culture."

I guess he's back on them whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite liiiiiiiiiines.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to know what his Top 10 would be to see if he actually had a point. I can understand not having 2Pac in a Top 10, but KRS-One? He still drops albums that are relevant and as for Rakim, he influenced everybody after him. Also, he said that Rakim couldn't make a modern hit? I hope he doesn't put somebody like Grandmaster Caz on there because he was dope for his era, but couldn't make a hit today either.

Swollen_Member

On Probation: Please report any break in the guide
roaches said:
Old, apparently, but:

http://www.sohh.com/thewire/read.php?contentID=7444

3. Melle Mel disses Rakim, KRS-One and Tupac Shakur. Ra, Kris and Pac might be in most heads' Top 10, but former Furious Five emcee Melle Mel doesn't think too highly of them. During a recent appearance on (New York) Power 105.1's Star and Bucwild morning show, Mel did the unthinkable and said Ra was "overrated with no stage presence." He then added that he "wouldn't put him in his Top 10 and that Rakim doesn't have the talent to drop a modern day Hip-Hop hit." Meanwhile, Mel said "people were blinded if KRS-One was their face of Hip-Hop." However, Kris was luckier than Ra and "barely scrapped" Mel's Top 10. Last but not least, Mel took a shot at Pac. The veteran lyricist compared Shakur to Hitler and said the fraudulent images he portrayed "brought down an entire culture."

I guess he's back on them whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite liiiiiiiiiines.
This guy is hilarious. I don't know who he is but he keeps droppin Pac's name for publicity of some shit.

MATW95 said:
Yeah, I'd definitely like to know what his Top 10 would be to see if he actually had a point. I can understand not having 2Pac in a Top 10, but KRS-One? He still drops albums that are relevant and as for Rakim, he influenced everybody after him. Also, he said that Rakim couldn't make a modern hit? I hope he doesn't put somebody like Grandmaster Caz on there because he was dope for his era, but couldn't make a hit today either.
What do you mean you could understand if 2pac is not in his top 10. No rap cat or old school emcee can touch pac on the musical level in my opinion. The only reason he didn't put Pac on his list was because he said he promoted Thug Life to such an extent that it caused black men in America to participate in criminal activity and go to jail, all of which is false because before "Thug Life" happened black men were going to jail and he makes it seem like as soon as Pac came with Thug Life black men started misbehaving. So far, he said Kool G. Rap was his greatest mc of all time. I think Kool Mo Dee was number 3 on his list. So far he had a number #1 and #3, but he didn't have a number 2 and a 4-10.

Hey roaches, you also forgot BIG. He said BIG was very limited and had no true heartfelt moment on a song.

And people say this guy knows what he's talking about? Right :rolleyes:

C.R.Y.

give me what hes smoking. pac to me didnt bring down the culture. he was bringing it up. and krs-one is a pioneer of hip hop along with rakim. that dude really wants attention

Bombsquad said:
What do you mean you could understand if 2pac is not in his top 10. No rap cat or old school emcee can touch pac on the musical level in my opinion. The only reason he didn't put Pac on his list was because he said he promoted Thug Life to such an extent that it caused black men in America to participate in criminal activity and go to jail, all of which is false because before "Thug Life" happened black men were going to jail and he makes it seem like as soon as Pac came with Thug Life black men started misbehaving. So far, he said Kool G. Rap was his greatest mc of all time. I think Kool Mo Dee was number 3 on his list. So far he had a number #1 and #3, but he didn't have a number 2 and a 4-10.

Hey roaches, you also forgot BIG. He said BIG was very limited and had no true heartfelt moment on a song.
I'm not saying that Pac isn't my Top 10 mind you. I'm saying that this guy may share the opinion of thousands of other Hip Hop heads who say they don't like Pac for one of several reasons: he promoted Thug Life (as you stated, and I totally agree with the part about him just simply giving a title to what was going on) and/or being too contradictory (same reason he may not like KRS-One). I've met people who prefer not to listen to 2Pac for those two reasons and maybe Mel shares that opinion.

ARon

^^Because shit you listen to today is because of him and his era.
lol at that comment roaches.

Truthfully i'm really thinking it is for publicity, but then i go and read it again and the rakim line erks me. What hip-hop hit is he talking, something like 50 ceny, chingy, you know what im sayin. Or something classic, an actual hit that sticks around. To me that matters a lot about what he is trying to say, either way its still stupid. On the real, no stage performance, you got to be fucking joking.

ARon

Bullshit about what? You not knowing "The Pioneers" is like going to History class without a book, you got no background info. Think of all the shit you would know if you, since your young, studied up on Hip-Hop. You would actually know where samples, styles, ideas come from, would make shit twice as good, rather than just listening, listen.

Swollen_Member said:
Tell me why the fuck should i care who this loser is?
Melle Mel wrote "The Message" for fuck's sake... u might know it as "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down"... Melle Mel was the dude on the original track by Grandmaster Flash which was the first rap record to speak on social issues in the inner city.

He's an OG, a true pioneer of hip hop. Tupac speaks on Melle Mel in an interview from '96 saying that he would always respect the OG's in hip hop even if he didnt see eye to eye with them. He used the analogy of being seated at a restaurant, saying that he would make sure the OG's like Melle Mel had a table before he did himself.

Likening Tupac to Hitler is so extreme, I doubt anyone is taking his comments seriously. He disses Biggie for not displaying emotion in his tracks, yet Tupac did it all the time and he still is no good. Whatever.

Pac and melle mel were cool with each other, they have unreleased songs together...so why he is saying shit like that is beyond me...in fact its totally disrespectful to pac. As stated before pac had nothin but respect for og's like melle mel, he recognised that if it wasnt for people like him he wouldnt be around

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.