is it just me or is obie trice completely wack

2Pax

RFTP said:
Maybe cuz we have different standards on lyricism but imo this verse isn't SICK or ill at all. It's okish, the good thing is that it's better then most mainstream lyrics put out. But that doesn't mean that he is sick cuz this text is nothing but simple.

And that verse on shit hits the fan. That was nothing more then good. If you(jason) think these were one of his best then it says alot about obies talent.

Listen to a song with Crooked and you'll see that he rips the mic on EVERY song.
I never said it was "SICK" or "ill" I said it was tight.

jason_g_718 said:
You're right, it does speak for Obie's talent. IMO its speaks for how fucking lyrically spectacular the man can be WHEN HE WANTS. The main phrase in that sentence though is WHEN HE WANTS. If you don't find that verse to be extremely potent, I don't know what the fuck you're looking for.

Give me some examples of what you think are spectacular verses from people.

Care to enlighten me the "great" lyricism in those verses?

What is it that makes it and I quote; "fucking lyrically spectacular"?

RFTP said:
Care to enlighten me the "great" lyricism in those verses?

What is it that makes it and I quote; "fucking lyrically spectacular"?
Well, you have yet to provide a verse for me that you think is lyrically great.

To me what makes it spectacular is the rhyme scheme, the choice of words he choose to use.

That's the best way I can word it. I don't know what you're looking for, but I'm still waiting for you to provide a verse you think is lyrically great.

I bought his album and I wasn't dissapointed. "Don't Come Down" was a sleeper hit. I was satisfied with the beats, as well as the lyrics. It was something different. It's Detroit, therefore a lot of these New Yorkers didn't get it...

Lady is still one of my favorite tracks of all time. The beat is bumpin' and both Obie and Em kill that track.

jason_g_718 said:
Well, you have yet to provide a verse for me that you think is lyrically great.

To me what makes it spectacular is the rhyme scheme, the choice of words he choose to use.

That's the best way I can word it. I don't know what you're looking for, but I'm still waiting for you to provide a verse you think is lyrically great.
a crooked I freestyle;

"They cought me slippin with dishonesty,they cohearsed me with reversed psychology/
the trick knowledgey (?) policys utilised by this colony/
fed me with poisones philosofies based on racist-hypothesis
subconsiously they were mocking me
for beeing the first to walk this earths surface
and now their purpose is to convert something worthless to something perfect
nervous because I survived the crammin of mental programin
disease infamin while I examin uncle sam'n his thesis/
saying civilisation started with precies(??) history decreases(?) when you whipe out significient pieces
so secretlcy demolish it, archeologists and anthropologist and top colleges won't aknowledge it....."

it continues more. This is raw! If you can't see that this is better, ie has better flow,better rhymescheme better words then Obie Trice, then I'm sorry we just have totally different opinion on what makes a great verse

The Almighty Nasquad said:
I bought his album and I wasn't dissapointed. "Don't Come Down" was a sleeper hit. I was satisfied with the beats, as well as the lyrics. It was something different. It's Detroit, therefore a lot of these New Yorkers didn't get it...

Lady is still one of my favorite tracks of all time. The beat is bumpin' and both Obie and Em kill that track.
:thumb:

Obie is one of the artists that I didn't like when he first came out. I had liked him on some appearances here and there that he did before Cheers dropped. The week Cheers came out a friend of mine...lol, actually he was my weed man at the time, I went to cop a bag and he asked me if I'd heard it yet. I hadn't so he tossed me a burned copy. Took it home and didn't like it at all with the exception of Shit Hits The Fan and I thought Average Man was an "ok" sog. Matter of fact, I stopped the CD before I got to We All Die One Day, which now happens to be ONE OF my absolute favorite songs right now, has been for months.

Then...'bout mid-October of last year I for some reason decided to give him a second shot (like I'm doing with Nas now), and I'm glad I did. For some reason the second time around I felt his shit from the get go.

Artists I've hated at first & then changed my mind:
Obie Trice
Eminem
Tha Dogg Pound
Method Man
Lloyd Banks
Kurupt (to me he was "ok" at first, then hated him, now like him)

RFTP said:
a crooked I freestyle;

"They cought me slippin with dishonesty,they cohearsed me with reversed psychology/
the trick knowledgey (?) policys utilised by this colony/
fed me with poisones philosofies based on racist-hypothesis
subconsiously they were mocking me
for beeing the first to walk this earths surface
and now their purpose is to convert something worthless to something perfect
nervous because I survived the crammin of mental programin
disease infamin while I examin uncle sam'n his thesis/
saying civilisation started with precies(??) history decreases(?) when you whipe out significient pieces
so secretlcy demolish it, archeologists and anthropologist and top colleges won't aknowledge it....."

it continues more. This is raw! If you can't see that this is better, ie has better flow,better rhymescheme better words then Obie Trice, then I'm sorry we just have totally different opinion on what makes a great verse
:thumb:

I give ya props, man. That is a fuckin' killer verse and you are completely right about it being better than Obie's SHTF verse. Matter of fact, that verse from Cooked I is better than any verse I've ever heard from obie. That's not to take away from the greatness that I think Obie has. I think O. Trice is an EXCELLENT rapper/emcee when he wants to be. Half of his stuff is mediocre, the other half is great. His "Shit Hits The Fan" verse to me, is excellent. His verse on "We All Die One Day" was mediocre, if not less than mediocre.

HOWEVER, the thing that O has that a lot of rappers who are just plain mediocre period don't have is that even when he writes a bad to mediocre verse, his flow and delivery are off the hook and they literally save his verse from being more terrible...at least IMO.

To be honest with you, I never said anything about how good or bad I think Crooked I is is because the only thing I've ever heard from him is his verse on the remix of Pac's "2 Of Amerika'z Most Wanted on the Nu-Mixx CD and I thought he was TERRIBLE on that song. However, based on the lyrics above, I'd be interested in hearing that and more. He doesn't have an album out, does he?

haunted said:
I like obie trice, i dont know why they didnt give him any promotion
I live in Michigan on the outskirts of Detroit and he got hella big promotion 'round here. Of course that is expected being his hometown and all. But for real though, Cheers is a VERY slept on album. One of the more underrated albums I've seen. The only skip song for me on the album really is "Got Some Teeth". Based on the fact that he released that as his opening single it's obviously Em was in his ear giving him strategies.

Don't get me wrong Cheers isn't a classic, but it is a lot better than the props it gets. It's better than ANY album Snoop has done with the exception of Doggystyle. God and 2pac fans alike forgive me for what I'm about to say, but it's better than that Death Row piece of shit Nu_Mixx. It's better than Encore, better than D12 World, better than Devil's Night, and pretty much dead even with Young Buck's "Straight Outta Cashville".

I think he has great potential. Lyrically it's apparent that he is quite talented, however, his delivery is what makes me tune out. Im just not a fan of the way he delivers his rhyme, though i do give him props for doing his thang.

MC mufasa said:
I think he has great potential. Lyrically it's apparent that he is quite talented, however, his delivery is what makes me tune out. Im just not a fan of the way he delivers his rhyme, though i do give him props for doing his thang.
I can agree w/ this to an extent. I think that sometimes his delivery kills the quality of his song or verse, but only every once in a while. Like his delivery on Dont Come Down. It's lacking, but not enough to kill the song. Matter of fact, that's one of the better ones IMO.

OH...also, his delivery on The Setup is pretty terrible too.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.