Is Big L a Top 5 rapper of all time?

AmerikazMost

Having a little bit of a debate here with someone. His top five rappers of all-time were Big Pun, Kool G Rap, Big L, GZA, and Talib Kweli. I thought the list was pretty shitty (though I commend the love for Pun, G Rap, and GZA), and he told me it's about "LYRICISM."

So I ask you.. is he a top 5 rapper of all-time? is he even a top 5 "lyricist" of all-time? does he even deserve to be mentioned in the discussion? is it wrong to narrow the criteria to just lyrical ability?

He's in my top 3... Pac, Big L, then B.I.G.. Big L was GREAT lyrically and had a tight flow... His "story" songs like "The Heist" and "Casualties of A Dice Game" are like movies when you listen to them.. Kinda like B.I.G's "Me and My Bitch"...

He's in my top 3 but wouldn't him in a general g.o.a.t. list mainly because of his lack of material. He only completed 1 1/2 albums, who knows what direction he would have went after (I think he could only get better but you can never say for sure).

hmm he's one of my fav MCs mostly because of his charisma on the mic and just the shit that comes out is hilarious n dope at the same time.

ARon

If someone was to tell me that Big L was top 5 in their eyes I would understand it. For what he did with his time, some of the lines he came up with, the wit, his flow, had great lyricism and a constant ability to outshine anyone doing a track with him. I could completely understand, definitely wish he was alive to make more material.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I think he became overated after he got shot. I don't think he would ever have sold many albums, and I don't think he would have been spoken of like he is now.

He was good lyrically, but not amazing. Not in my top 5 lyricists or MC's.

Infact I was thinking about this the other day.

AmerikazMost

Pittsey said:
I think he became overated after he got shot. I don't think he would ever have sold many albums, and I don't think he would have been spoken of like he is now.

He was good lyrically, but not amazing. Not in my top 5 lyricists or MC's.

Infact I was thinking about this the other day.
that's actually the exact position i take on it

AmerikazMost said:
Having a little bit of a debate here with someone. His top five rappers of all-time were Big Pun, Kool G Rap, Big L, GZA, and Talib Kweli. I thought the list was pretty shitty (though I commend the love for Pun, G Rap, and GZA), and he told me it's about "LYRICISM."

So I ask you.. is he a top 5 rapper of all-time? is he even a top 5 "lyricist" of all-time? does he even deserve to be mentioned in the discussion? is it wrong to narrow the criteria to just lyrical ability?
When you ask someone what their favourite food is they don't say what their favourite 'sweet' food is, so for me if you ask me if someone is in my top 5 rappers, you must have to look at them overall. Is Big L in my top 5 rappers, I think overall there have been better overall packages. Is he in my top 5 lyricists, he'd be in my top 6 :)

I think he definately woulda sold if he lived. He was about to sign to the ROC when they were in its prime, meaning he definately woulda at least went Platinum.. If his postomous album The Big Picture went platinum with not that much advertisement or radio play, then he woulda sold that same if not more then that with him alive... He woulda had a dope album.. Jay-Z, Camron, Dipset, Fat Joe, Big Pun, Terror Squad, the rest of the Roc I'm sure woulda been on it, plus we probaly had production from Primo, Diamond D, Lord Finesse, etc since he was down with them.. Im 90% sure it woulda been a classic.. It's just a shame that he got murked the way he did..

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Fataldawg said:
I think he definately woulda sold if he lived. He was about to sign to the ROC when they were in its prime, meaning he definately woulda at least went Platinum.. If his postomous album The Big Picture went platinum with not that much advertisement or radio play, then he woulda sold that same if not more then that with him alive... He woulda had a dope album.. Jay-Z, Camron, Dipset, Fat Joe, Big Pun, Terror Squad, the rest of the Roc I'm sure woulda been on it, plus we probaly had production from Primo, Diamond D, Lord Finesse, etc since he was down with them.. Im 90% sure it woulda been a classic.. It's just a shame that he got murked the way he did..

Big L would have sat behind all of them in the pecking order. (Even Fat "I have to shout Crack every 3.5 minutes" Joe)

That album only went platinum because of his death. Rap fans are infactuated by guns and murder.

I don't think he had it in him to have made a classic album.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Just had a couple of thoughts on this (which will probably get me hated)...

To me, there are 2 reasons why hip-hop heads rate Big L;

1. He became interesting because of his shooting.

2. Heads feel Cool, liking Big L. He's less popular than most rappers, he is also not very well known, compared to most over rappers. It makes heads feel important and superior.

Admitedly he does have some nice rhymes, and some witty metaphors. But he hasn't made many qualitiy tracks that catch my attention.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.