Is Big L a Top 5 rapper of all time?

Lok

Pittsey said:
Just had a couple of thoughts on this (which will probably get me hated)...

To me, there are 2 reasons why hip-hop heads rate Big L;

1. He became interesting because of his shooting.

2. Heads feel Cool, liking Big L. He's less popular than most rappers, he is also not very well known, compared to most over rappers. It makes heads feel important and superior.

Admitedly he does have some nice rhymes, and some witty metaphors. But he hasn't made many qualitiy tracks that catch my attention.
He wasn't that unknown. Atleast not in NY. Plus, his singles got quite a bit of play.
That being said, he had only a few songs that I actually liked. I found his style to be boring. If people want to jock the dick of a deceased rapper, then they should find somebody who had real potential. I recommend starting with G Slimm & Kilo G.

Lok said:
He wasn't that unknown. Atleast not in NY. Plus, his singles got quite a bit of play.
That being said, he had only a few songs that I actually liked. I found his style to be boring. If people want to jock the dick of a deceased rapper, then they should find somebody who had real potential. I recommend starting with G Slimm & Kilo G.

It should be based on the Lp's not who had the most potential I think thats why I never list Bigge really in my own top 5....AZ better to me then Big L (although L had him on the punchlines)

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Pittsey said:
Just had a couple of thoughts on this (which will probably get me hated)...

To me, there are 2 reasons why hip-hop heads rate Big L;

1. He became interesting because of his shooting.

2. Heads feel Cool, liking Big L. He's less popular than most rappers, he is also not very well known, compared to most over rappers. It makes heads feel important and superior.

Admitedly he does have some nice rhymes, and some witty metaphors. But he hasn't made many qualitiy tracks that catch my attention.
Overall, "heads" don't feel Big L much. Only wanna-bee's. Heads find him to be very-unversatile and therefore boring, when it comes to content. It was only when he'd switch up his flow to semi-fast that he'd switch his style up at all. But, yes, I agree with your post. I'dd add charisma and arrogance(positive arrogance) to the list.

Big L's a big LOSER. Hes talking about killing nauns and shit. He might have a few good punchlines, but thats about it. Weak style too. (imo)

PuffnScruff

i've always looked at big l like i look at sublime. sublime imo was the greatest band that never was. i look at big l the same way.

i wouldnt put him on my top 5 list but thats just me. it's all a matter of opinion

S O F I S T I K said:
Overall, "heads" don't feel Big L much. Only wanna-bee's. Heads find him to be very-unversatile and therefore boring, when it comes to content. It was only when he'd switch up his flow to semi-fast that he'd switch his style up at all. But, yes, I agree with your post. I'dd add charisma and arrogance(positive arrogance) to the list.

After hearing Street Struck..I think he had potential to become verstile.

PELLA said:
Big L's a big LOSER. Hes talking about killing nauns and shit. He might have a few good punchlines, but thats about it. Weak style too. (imo)
To say Big L wasnt lyrical and his style was weak is crazy.

Every second my style switches up/
they say a real man won't hit a girl/
well I ain't real cuz i beat bitches up

classic :thumb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S O F I S T I K

Are you serious? You can go up to any cat over here in the NJ/NYC area on the street, and they'll tell you Big L was hot... For you to say that "heads" aint feeling him and only "wannabes" is insane... 4real...

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Fataldawg said:
To say Big L wasnt lyrical and his style was weak is crazy.

Every second my style switches up/
they say a real man won't hit a girl/
well I ain't real cuz i beat bitches up

classic :thumb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S O F I S T I K

Are you serious? You can go up to any cat over here in the NJ/NYC area on the street, and they'll tell you Big L was hot... For you to say that "heads" aint feeling him and only "wannabes" is insane... 4real...

Who said that dudes in the streets of NJ/NYC that like rap music are heads?

He was a great MC, but I don't think he'd by top five in my book mainly because, like alotta people have said, there's just not enough material. We've got two albums and a whole bunhc of freestyles along with a live show album. There's not really enough official material we can scan through (LPs, EPs, etc.).

This man definately in my top 3. Just by listening to one of the mixtapes released such as Big L-Harlem's Finest Vol 1 will show how fuckin illllllll he was. If it hadn't been for his death, I belive Big L wouldv'e accomplished ALOT.

i like him a bit only his songs like married to marajuana, put in on, i mite just include him in a top 30 maybe. but i respect and acknowledge the skill he had

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.