Illmatic vs. Me against the world

Very difficult to choose, cause its pacs best album vs. nas best album.
Hmmm :confused: , let me think about it. Now Im thinkin about it since an half hour! I dont know an answer. Matw got huge classics, also Illmatic, but both got a special atmosphere. For me not chooseable.

what do you think?

Tonio1986 said:
Very difficult to choose, cause its pacs best album vs. nas best album.
Hmmm :confused: , let me think about it. Now Im thinkin about it since an half hour! I dont know an answer. Matw got huge classics, also Illmatic, but both got a special atmosphere. For me not chooseable.

what do you think?
MATW.

It's a Pac board..so if there was a Vote MATW would obvisly win but it's good If people state what one they think is Better and why because both are HUGE classic's. Top two of the genre i'd Say, 2pac's best and Nas's best, an album I think not any of his ablums have come close too. I personally prefer MATW because it can't ever bore me with the raw emtion and deep rhymes, and because Illmatic lacks charisma and emotion but Nas still paints a vivid picture with his slick rhymes.

MATW

Am I the only one who doesn't see how Illmatic is a classic ? Yeah it had alright lyrics, but the production is weak. How could you ever bump anything like that ?

HellRazor05 said:
im sick of people comparin pac with other rappers. "illmatic" was a hot album but dont compare it to tupac. nas is a legend, but nowhere close to pac's level.
It don't matter if Nas on Pac's level or not, Illmatic was a Classic album up the ass. SO even if you say Nas isn't on 2pac's level, this Album he made rivals the best Rap Cd's, therefore it Rivals MATW. Don't make it seem like 2pac is some sort of God, they both had classic albums therefore there is nothing wrong in comparing their classic albums.

XVIPimp said:
MATW

Am I the only one who doesn't see how Illmatic is a classic ? Yeah it had alright lyrics, but the production is weak. How could you ever bump anything like that ?
Do you relize when that Album was made, manny years ago and in that time period it's production was considered great. So if the production doesn't match your "Bumpin" Crunk beats doesn't mean the production is weak, its a matter of preference.

ARon

^^^Or its a matter of someone who hasn't listened to hip-hop until lately when people would listen to beats more than anything, a beat was just something for an emcee to ride, it was not supposed to oversahdow the emcee. I think we see a lot of that today, i mean i love a good beat, but i love lyrics more.

RapAlot89 said:
It's a Pac board..so if there was a Vote MATW would obvisly win but it's good If people state what one they think is Better and why because both are HUGE classic's. Top two of the genre i'd Say, 2pac's best and Nas's best, an album I think not any of his ablums have come close too. I personally prefer MATW because it can't ever bore me with the raw emtion and deep rhymes, and because Illmatic lacks charisma and emotion but Nas still paints a vivid picture with his slick rhymes.
<joking w/ Scarface accent>

Oh...chust a fukking ansswer isn't good enuff fer chu, ay mayne? We kotta give chu a fukking reasson too? </joking>

lol...nah...ok...for real though...

MATW: I have owned this album since it came out. I had it first on tape cassette and then around 2000 or so I bought the CD and threw the tape away. I had heard Pac before this with songs like "Brenda's Got A Baby", "Keep Ya Head Up", "Trapped", "I Get Around" and liked those, but at that time, I wasn't really too fond of him as an artist really, just some songs. Then when Dear Mama came out, I don't know, for some reason I just liked that song so much that I decided to say "fuck it" and buy the album. I loved the whole thing from start to finish. Unless there is a song I'm really fiending to hear, I don't FF at all through the CD, though I do often do a lot of rewinding.

The soul and emotion Pac put into this record is unlike anything I've ever seen or heard come from him since. I'm not knocking him at all or saying he declined after that album because on the contrary, I think he got extremely better with each album. There are so many songs on MATW that I can and do rewind over and over: So Many Tears (this is probably my favorite on the CD), Temptations, If I Die 2nite, Me Against The World, Lord Knows, It Ain't Easy, Dear Mama (of course). I mean, fuck, I just listed at least half the album. I just think this album is Pac at his most reflective. Some may argue and say DK7 is, but I think that's his most knowledgeable.

Illmatic: True, I did just start listening to Nas like 2 weeks ago, but he is one of the few East Coast artists I like. I took me some time to adapt to Nas, but once I did, I really liked him. At first it seemed to me that he was rapping monotone and a lot of his stuff didn't even seem to have a rhyme scheme. But after long listens and many attempts to give him another chance, he finally started impressing me. Now when I listen to his shit, I just sit back and vibe. The thing that takes away from this record for me, which I know I'll get hated on for saying this and that's nothing new so I don't give a shit, but I just don't care for a lot of the beats on the album. I'm not sorry either. I just prefer West Coast beats. Yeah, I know DJ Premier is considered by fans and hip hop heads alike as one of the best producers around, I just don't care for his style too much. Nas flow and lyrics is what got my attention eventually. Some people prefer the "polished" sound that the West Coast offers (like myself) and some people prefer the "grimey dark undergroundish" sound that the east Coast provides.

Aristotle said:
^It really did nothing for Hip-hop. It's a great album, but what did it do for hip-hop.
Virtually every artist hot at that time in the industry came together for one purpose.

To represent for Pac. Remember, MATW came out while he was in prison? When he was given the opp to do a second video, he did Temptations and called on all of his friends in the industry to represent for him and they did.

Like I said, every rapper, FEMALE AS WELL, in the industry came together for one purpose...REPRESENT FOR PAC. If you even have to ask why that had an impact, you're blind. It's called "unity".

jason_g_718 said:
Virtually every artist hot at that time in the industry came together for one purpose.

To represent for Pac. Remember, MATW came out while he was in prison? When he was given the opp to do a second video, he did Temptations and called on all of his friends in the industry to represent for him and they did.

Like I said, every rapper, FEMALE AS WELL, in the industry came together for one purpose...REPRESENT FOR PAC. If you even have to ask why that had an impact, you're blind. It's called "unity".
Couldn't have said it better myself. One Love.

ARon

No one even cared about Tupac til he was released from prison and signed to Death Row, most of the people who are saying this album is so great didn't even hear it til after he died. Yeah of course his homies and friends stayed down for him(and it especially wasn't everyone in the industry), so why is it so special that it Unified something that was already together. It's not like Rakim droppin and showin everyone what knowledge is, and makin every emcee in the world change everything they ever did, or Kool Herc for the DJ world. Or even NWA showin everyone what "gagnsta" was, even though it was everywhere already. So again, what did Me against the world bring that was so special.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.