How important is a good album cover?

I liked the concept of Street's Disciple though. I love the plain shit, nothing too extravagant, Mos Def's debut is extremely simple, but it works..Scarface's The Fix was nice too, but overall it doesn't influence me purchasing the album...however in retrospect it's always nice to have a complete album with an attractive cover.

Raul

I like a nice cover, but when artists like Nas drop an album I buy it anyway, even if the cover is ugly as hell.
Good covers make me love a cd more though.
Like Liquid Swords, that shit is classic and I remember that everytime I see that dope ass cover. Same goes for Black Star.

Hot

its definately important because it can affect sales.

I hate the cash money covers with an absolute passion and I would never buy one of those cds. They just look shit.

Illmatic & Ready2Die are classic covers i think

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I buy albums like packs of gum.
If I've taken the journey to the music store I'm gonna buy at least 10 albums.
So I don't really care what the album cover is like. I don't really listen to samples.
I read a lot on here and notice people who like the same kind of music I do. Then if they recomend something I'll probably pick it up. Unfortunately I don't always have time to listen to them all. Most of my listening is done in my car when I'm rushing from place to place.

Pittsey said:
I buy albums like packs of gum.
If I've taken the journey to the music store I'm gonna buy at least 10 albums.
So I don't really care what the album cover is like. I don't really listen to samples.
I read a lot on here and notice people who like the same kind of music I do. Then if they recomend something I'll probably pick it up. Unfortunately I don't always have time to listen to them all. Most of my listening is done in my car when I'm rushing from place to place.
"Slow it down a notch baby"

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Harry_potter said:
"Slow it down a notch baby"

I know. But don't you find there's too many things to do in a day.
Life's too hectic.
The only time I post on here is at work when I'm picking up my jobs, or writing emails and stuff.
Or when I'm at home, and I'll be watching TV (like man u and Chelsea on TV now) and working or something.

The only time I chill is when I'm in a pub or club.

Damn Pittsey you seem as if you're a business man constantly moving. Well it's all good as long as you keep on listening to your music and know how to organize yourself.

Peace

A good album IS important... if you want to sell as many albums as possible. You've got to cover all your bases. It all depends, and it's all relative.

Good lyrics is what makes a good rapper/emcee. That's what makes people like you.
Good lyrics and a good beat is what makes a good song. That's what makes people listen to you.
A collection of good songs is what makes a good album. That's what makes people want to burn your album and bump you in the car.
But a good album, a good cover, good promotion and the right image is what makes people go the extra mile in this day and age to actually shell out the $15 to buy the CD instead of burn it.

C.R.Y.

cm_millionaire said:
NO.
And if it influiences you then to be honest you shouldn't be allowed to buy music.
qft

an album cover can make a difference. because it can give you an insight of what the music might be about. like makaveli 7 day theory. it was a deep and mysterious album. just like the cover because there was a lot of mysterious things on it. another example is all of 50s albums. he always trying to look tough on his covers. just like he does in his music.

C.R.Y.

cm_millionaire said:
The best two rap albums of the last centuary featured little kids on the cover. Enough said....and if you buy any music without having heard it first then your an idiot. Sorry to be so blunt but come on...people are starving in Africa and your gonna throw away your dollars on something you can't even justify purchasing.
lmao. so i guess you dont waste money huh?!? hell, the computer you typed this out on can be sold on ebay. then you can send the money to africa. we all waste money. whether its on a movie you hated, food you didnt like, etc. thats a fact. people spend money on shit that isnt needed. thats life. we dont need internet or a computer. but we have it for luxury. idk even know why you threw that in your argument, it doesnt even make sense

linx

Staff member
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks an album cover really means anything.. is an idiot. And I don't really say that in a way where i'm trying to disrespect anyone, but it's just a ridiculous question I think. It's the music that matters, not the picture on the front. If you can honestly say that you would buy an album just because it has a nice cover, then you have a problem. It's the quality of the music that counts and nothing more. I don't care if an album cover is all black, it's not gonna change the way I feel about an album or the way i'll feel about buying an album.

It's like comparing a movie to the movie cover. I'm not gonna assume a movie is completely shitty if the cover looks stupid. Things like that can be very misleading. The smart thing to do is read about it, then decide whether or not you wanna get it. Unfortunately, you cannot do that with music in a store. So you either buy the music because you like the artist, like the music in general, heard about the artist (or album) or because you are just picking something out randomly and giving it a listen. Then again, all it should really take is one time for you to make a mistake where you buy something like a movie or an album because of the cover and it's whack.. then you realize you won't do it again. :laugh:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.