Hip Hop Dead? ...HELL NO

jbrolax

good rhyme bro

but on a serious note, dont get me wrong, i konw there people still doin it, and i know thats what this thread is about, but i was drunk as i am now when i went off 2 days ago. so yeh i was wrong for making my argument in this thread, but do not tell me i am wrong...

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Mo_Murda said:
You wanna know a bomb rapper to listen to?

Tech N9ne

I love his persona he's a funny ass guy who hates the music industry and his style of rap is unique which is refreshing these days. He hasn't come out with a CD since 2000, but he is on Nov. 7th, Everready: The Religion will be out, i cannot wait to cop this..

Check out the website, listen to some songs watch the "Einstein" video that he does live, that song is just amazing in concert.

www.therealtechn9ne.com/
His album leaked. On first listen, it's pretty good.

ImmortalTech said:
Heres 3 more

http://www.myspace.com/pumpkinhead

http://www.myspace.com/crayzwalz

http://www.myspace.com/celphtitled

... if u peepin any of this shit, and got cunstructive criticism or props, just drop it in here
Although I like(d) Celph Titled, he is a one-dimensional rapper, with punchlines of killing somebody or something accounting for 90% of his raps, and should not be used as an argument for "Hip Hop is not Dead".

There is bad underground hip hop out there, folks. Remember that.

S O F I said:
His album leaked. On first listen, it's pretty good.

Although I like(d) Celph Titled, he is a one-dimensional rapper, with punchlines of killing somebody or something accounting for 90% of his raps, and should not be used as an argument for "Hip Hop is not Dead".

There is bad underground hip hop out there, folks. Remember that.
Bolded for truth.

im not using celph titled to say hip hop is not dead. And I know celph is very one-dimensional... But all I'm trying to prove with these artists, is that Hip Hop still has such a wide range of styles, and artist out there are bringing shit to the table for EVERYONE.. Weather its some awkward shit like Sage Francis.. or Punchline Emcees like Celph Titled... Rappers are still doing their thing, and theres something for everybody. So the people that think hiphop is dead just because all they hear when they turn on the radio is some "money hoes and clothes" crunk shit, or some laffytaffy bullshit, need to rediscover hip hop. I can guarantee you that any1 that likes the hip hop style will find something that they like... on that note, heres a few more:

www.myspace.com/shabazzthedisciple

http://www.myspace.com/atmosphere

http://www.myspace.com/vastaireofcanox

.. and i didnt make this thread expecting ppl to like everything i post. Even I dont like alot of the things that I'm posting, but I do respect the talent some of these guys have, even if its not my style... and yes ur right, there is bad underground shit, i mean some underground shit is WORST than the laffy taffy shit, i will never argue with that cuz i've heard that shit with my own ears.... Anyways man, hope some ppl find some new shit they like in this thread.

~peace

ARon

Anyone who listens to this new version of Atmosphere needs to start wearing tight black jeans, growin out their bangs and starting to slit there wrists across for attention. Booo.

Aristotle said:
Anyone who listens to this new version of Atmosphere needs to start wearing tight black jeans, growin out their bangs and starting to slit there wrists across for attention. Booo.

hahah yea, atmosphere is on some weird shit... But still runnin one of the most successful underground labels (Rhymesayers Entertainment)... And plus overcast was a classic album. And yea Sean Proce's new album is supposed to drop January... Anyways, heres 3 more:

http://www.myspace.com/sandpeople

http://www.myspace.com/murs

http://www.carnagetheexecutioner

~peace

Casey

Staff member
As a progressive cutting edge mainstream musical force, yes hip-hop is dead, and it won't come back. It happens to every musical genre that comes through and breaks out to become the most cutting edge mainstream force.

Hip-Hop had a good run, much longer than many others. Punk music lasted about 6 years at the cutting edge, Metal had about 15 years during the peak of bands like Black Sabbath, and then it died in the 80's with hair metal acts like Poison and Bon Jovi. And Grunge at the top started and ended with Kurt, from 91-94. Funk was the DEFINITION of black music starting in the 70's with James Brown, Ohio Players et al, and peaked in the 80's with Prince, Cameo, Zapp&Roger, MJ, Rick James, before Hip-Hop killed it.

The people that say "Hip-Hop isn't dead because there are still great underground artists" are completely missing the point. There's a lot of great underground punk bands too, but the fact is the scene is nothing compared to it's heyday, which is the route hip-hop has rapidly taken over the last4 years or so.

ARon

^Nah see thats the point I think a lot were saying, just cus the "cutting edge" is underground doesnt mean it is still cutting. It might not be big but the music is still ebing made and brought out, to those who look for it. So nah I dont agree it is dead.

ImmortalTech said:
I'm Sick & Tired of people making threads about how sick & tired they are of hearing the same old rap on the radio n shit. These people need to get past BET and the Radio and realize Hip Hop is as creative and as alive as it ever was. Some people just arent looking in the right places. So I decided to make a thread to introduce artists that are dope, that other may have never heard of.

WARNING: I may end up posting some shit u love, some shit u hate, some shits that just fuckin weird, but either way, I'm just hoping we can introduce each other to some new creative artist, so people stop bitching about the state of Hip Hop, and start changing the state of Hip Hop.

PS. Please dont "introduce" anyone to Immortal Technique, Crooked I, Canibus etc. ... every1s heard of those artists.

So heres Artist # 1 .... ILLOGIC

http://www.myspace.com/illogicone

Lets get a few more people posting up interesting artist, then I'll post up a few more emcee's... I only did a myspace page cuz this is the only place i found some decent streaming audio for illogic

~peace

The culture HIP HOP is dead yes, why? cause idol rappers you like aint supporting eachother or another and are all arrogant egoistic muthafuckaz, so cut the crap.

and what makes u think "idol rappers i like" are those arrogant talentless fucks that you here on the radio that would sell their mom's for an extra ice piece... And i'm notgonna sit here pretend that i've been a hip hop fan since it starded but back since '95 I can tell you Mainstream Hip Hop artist have not been supporting eachother (unless same label or area) and have mostly been egotistical bastards...

And yes My Point is good Hip Hop is still being made, its just not being brought to you by the big labels. Therefore is unseen to the masses. The truth is mainstream hip hop has gone corporate, from the music & lyrics down to the clothes and shoes the artist wear. And thats what results in songs about shoes and all this BS. Corporate America doesnt want the masses to be hearing Hip Hop thats intelligent and may uplift the minds of the middle and lower class families. They'd rather have them listening to songs about money guns and bitches so that the youth dont think about going anywhere in life. They feel that this "Hip Hop" is their culture, this is who they are, and never look for ways to change the condition of their families, other than by trying to either be rappers, or imitate whats being said in these songs. So NO I dont think Hip Hop is dead, I think Hip Hop is being raped by Corporate America, to the point where people start despising the genre, and every penny has been sucked out at which point they'll leave it and move on to something else. But regardless of what happens, their will always be independant artists droppin some ill shit, its just nobody cares to listen...

But in all, weather you think hip hop is dead or not, depends on how you define dead. If you think its dead because what you here on the radio is BS (I personally look back and see BS hip hop on radio and TV since around 98) the fine hip hop is dead, u might as well look for something new and cooler. But If youlove the hip hop sound, the hip hop culture, then It's still there, No its not moving millions of units, and no its not bangin in every street corner, and no it doesnt have a face or a race to it.. But It's there

~peace

Kareem

jbrolax said:
no matter where or what, its over, just give up...

EDIT: I see my reply aint educational. HIP HOP is dead because hip hop was a movement. Back in the late 80's and early 90's it was a way to be heard. And lets be serious there was a message too. Now there aint no message, but its being heard. On a look back it was a waste of time, because once people starting listening, laffy taffy and chicken noodle soup fuckin blew it....im sorry get over it
:thumb: Exactly hats off to you! You shouldnt have to search the underground for an artist thats delievering a message, all too much today that shit has become like searching for the lost city of Atlantis. As a good African American friend of mine said "The cooning of hip hop is whats killed it". Back in the day every month I had atleast 2 albums to look forward to buying, now I dont even pay attention. Anybody listen to Flex's interview wit Jay-Z the other night? Hell Jigga was on point "Hip hop might not be dead but if we continue on the path we're on it will be an very soon". His comment was along those lines.

And it was truth, Hip Hop is a movement or was a movement now its damn modern age minstrel show thats spits in the face of people like Malcom X, MLK, Pac ect. You dont want us to point to BET an Mtv as prime examples but thats the damn source, the underground cant hold it down! An hell even some of these underground cats is trying to spit like the main stream so whats the difference? I'll stop saying hip hop is dead when Lil Jons ugly mug gets off the screen an the radio with all that metal in his mouth, When Amuru stops fucking up Pac's music by teaming him with artists he woulda murrdered lyricly for their actions, When the LOX or hell just Jada gets a decent shot at putting out a record without Jimmy Lovine kissing 50's ass, when Common's video shows up more then once every 3 weeks on BET an Mtv, and when the south talks about somthing real rather then "candy paint, hoes, ice, money, haters". Then i'll rest my case till then Hip Hop's dead or atleast in an coma an if shit dont change the plug will be pulled.:fury:

Mo_Murda said:
You wanna know a bomb rapper to listen to?

Tech N9ne

I love his persona he's a funny ass guy who hates the music industry and his style of rap is unique which is refreshing these days. He hasn't come out with a CD since 2000, but he is on Nov. 7th, Everready: The Religion will be out, i cannot wait to cop this..

Check out the website, listen to some songs watch the "Einstein" video that he does live, that song is just amazing in concert.

www.therealtechn9ne.com/

Tech N9nes is always coming with great albums, everready is a pretty good album, just like usual from tech, i still dont understand how hes been over looked by the major labels, the mans as unique as one can get in hip hop, and has a pretty big underground fan base

Shorty tha Don said:
Tech N9nes is always coming with great albums, everready is a pretty good album, just like usual from tech, i still dont understand how hes been over looked by the major labels, the mans as unique as one can get in hip hop, and has a pretty big underground fan base
True that, i picked up Everready inbetween classes today, his Cd's just get better and better..... and his concerts are just amazing live

My favorite song on that CD has to be "My World" featurin Brotha Lynch Hung and Dalima....

Even if you haven't ever listened to Tech N9ne, pick up this CD you won't regret or at least start out dl'ing some songs from him then support him by buying his CD...cuz he isn't awfully rich due to the fact that he keeps it rela

I can honestly say I'm literally worried what will be said to this but.... what about rappers like Saigon and Talib Kweli,what do y'all think of them?

Why you scared man? i like Talib Kweli, he's a great lyricist and very influential..... him and Mos Def as Blackstarr i'm a big fan of as well.....

Casey

Staff member
Aristotle said:
^Nah see thats the point I think a lot were saying, just cus the "cutting edge" is underground doesnt mean it is still cutting. It might not be big but the music is still ebing made and brought out, to those who look for it. So nah I dont agree it is dead.
I didn't say it wasn't still cutting, it's just not cutting in the mainstream world. How many people do you think really listen to "underground" forms of music, not just hip-hop... It's a very very very small minority.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.