Getting this off my chest: "I Used to Love H.E.R." sucks.

roaches

Yeah, it's a hip-hop classic, but so are "In Da Club" and "Hip-Hop Hooray" and fuck those songs, too.

* The beat is soft (I'd like to take this time to say fuck you to all of you who were shitting on Linx for remixing it, it isn't as if No ID had Common rapping over "Above the Clouds")
* The concept is anything but brilliant - personification, wow.
* The lyrics aren't that great, and downright shitty compared to how Common was going off on the rest of Resurrection. His verse on "Act Too" is far superior to anything on "I Used to Love H.E.R.".
* HE WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE STATE OF HIP-HOP IN 1994. DOES ANYONE REALIZE HOW FUCKING LAME THAT IS? EVERY "HIP-HOP SUCKS" DUDE IN THE WORLD WOULD NEED TO SPROUT EXTRA TESTICLES IN ORDER TO PRODUCE ENOUGH SEMEN TO NUT THEMSELVES IN A SUFFICIENT QUANTITY TO EXPRESS THEIR PLEASURE IF THEY WERE BACK IN 1994.
* It's overplayed as fuck. Every half-assed DJ with their "real hip-hop" set will play this, "T.R.O.Y.", some Native Tongues shit, Little Brother, and every time I die inside a little bit because these new jacks are turning great songs into hip-hop freebirds.

I feel better.

linx

Staff member
I agree, but I wouldn't say it sucks. That's just me though. I was never a really huge fan of it though. I was never a fan of that really soft beat either, but at the same time I never really had a big problem with it or hated it. It was always just a song for me to listen to, but i've always enjoyed it as well. I've also thought about how he was complaining about the state of hip-hop in 1994. That's a great year for hip hop. Many can tell you that.

Maybe he thought the direction of Hip Hop was bad. Gangsta rap was emerging and people were complaining about it back then, so the fact that he was too doesn't really hurt anything. Now, in 2005, 1994 seems like the golden year (it can rightfully be called the golden year because of the drops from Big, Nas, and Common among others), but back then people were saying 1988 was the year (PE, BDK, Slick Rick, among others). the song's "argument" isn't whack, it just seems a little premature.

I don't really feel like arguing the rest of the points.

i love that track....beat is dope too IMO

and he said himself he wasnt saying hiphop sucked in 94.....he just said it changed. WSC blew it way out of proportion.

peace.

roaches

and he said himself he wasnt saying hiphop sucked in 94
"Now she be in the burbs lickin rock and dressin hip / And on some dumb shit..."

"But I'ma take her back hopin that the shit stop"

The lyrics don't lie.

I'd also like to add that most songs about loving hip-hop are corny, and the whole subgenre of songs about hip-hop, how much it sucks, and the previously mentioned, make baby Jesus cry.

7 Syns

Always liked the concept, never really felt the song itself though. It's a classic of creativity alone, agree?

peace.

roaches

Getting some more things off my chest:
* DJ Premier, Dr. Dre, Marley Marl, Prince Paul, RZA = top five of all time. This isn't up for debate.
* LMAO at new jack fans of dirty south rap playing catch up thinking Lil' Wayne wasn't dope until last year, getting disproportionately excited over the new 666, and liking Mike Jones and Paul Wall.
* Fuck albums.
* Dangermouse beats are mostly not good.
* Nas sucks. He is a half-baked relic with no ear for beats and who clearly has smoked too much weed. If you find his lyrics profound or engaging and can pass a drug test, you should be sterilized.

Feel free to get things off of your chests.

first off you need a hug or a pet or something...i don't know.

Looking back at a song that is now 11 years old and knocking it for not having creative lyrics and beats is kind of cheap. Granted you claimed that the verses in the rest of the album was better, but the depiction of his analogy was somewhat ground breaking at the time. I remember when I first heard that track and being thrown for a serious loop once it was over only having to listen to it a couple of times over again to compare the relationships he used.

Have we heard better tracks? ...yes.
Has Common released better tracks? ...possibly.
Was this track a positive contribution to Hip Hop? ...no doubt.

So by classifying it as "it sucks" pretty much throws it in the pile with all the rest of the shit that's been released...and personally I don't think this should be at a level that all these stupid, no talent, illiterate "artists" are releasing.

In regards to Immortal Technique:
akae47 said:
He's well known and respected in the circles of people who know true hip hop.
That is one of the worst posts I have ever, ever read.
*Mr. Doctor is dope, and nearly as good as Brotha Lynch Hung. Check his album if you havn't, he is a great MC and has one of the most unique voices and flows you will ever hear. Setripin Bloccstyle is a classic, recognize.
*Usually I hate compilations (I still do), but I downloaded 3 this week and each has been extremely dope:
Who Put Sac On The Map Volume One
Who Put Sac On The Map Volume Two
Garden Blocc Ridaz 2
*X-Raided has one classic album, the rest are average at best.
*Gore covers suck dick (fetuses, ect.)
*CDBaby.com sucks dick.

Lok

Mase said:
*X-Raided has one classic album, the rest are average at best.
You need a dick up your ass. Seriously. "Unforgiven", "Xorcist" (Best one) & "Speak Of Da Devil" are all at least 4/5.
People have a problem with his production & the quality of his recordings, but if you really listen to his lyrics, you will see how truely talented this cat is. It's not just Gangsta gang bang type of shit. Dude addresses everything.
His other albums may be kind of repetitive, but compared to the most shit other people are dropping these days, his albums are way above average.

*Kanye is the wackest rapper to blow this millennia. WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES THAT?!
*Mississippi has had the best scene the past 3 years & shows to signs of stopping. IF YOU ONLY KNEW.
*This chipmunk bullshit needs to stop. Please.
*Tape Only releases make me cry.

ill-matic

* MF Doom is immensely overrated. He's nothing special.
* LL Cool J is immensely underrated
* Saigon sucks
* Papoose is creative, but his voice gets pretty annoying at times.
* Immortal Technique is nothing special.
* Talib Kweli's "Quality" was anything but. It sucked. His flow and delivery is awful.

I disagree with roaches. I think Nas' new shit is pretty good. Death Anniversary is nice. But i agree, he has a bad ear for beats.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Why is everyone getting so excited over Nas - Death Anniversary???

It's good, but it isn't as good as everyone goes on about. I can only think of 2 reasons. Street Disciple was so poor that this sounds so much better. Everyone listens to too much 50 Cent and that is why Nas sounds so good on it.

Wow at people actually agreeing with this thread. I'm actually convinced roaches could make a thread saying "actually, Illmatic really sucks" and a whole bunch of people would reply, saying shit like "yeah, i respect it but i never really felt it" and "word. i never knew what people saw in that album".

roaches, i don't know if you're just saying some of this shit to be different, but most of it is pretty lame.

* LMAO at new jack fans of dirty south rap playing catch up thinking Lil' Wayne wasn't dope until last year, getting disproportionately excited over the new 666, and liking Mike Jones and Paul Wall.
some of this pretentious shit is getting out of hand. you're really living this "hip hop message board master" shit, aren't you?

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I believe he posts stuff like this to separate the knowledgable, able-to-think hip hop posters from retarded ones. But, then, he also throws a couple of subliminal disses at certain people like the Lil Wayne one, which clowns Big E, actually, even though roaches might not even realize it.

Aside from that, I sometimes wonder why roaches even likes hip-hop music.

roaches

a) True story: I also listen, think about, and talk about rap music when I'm on the Internet.
b) If I wanted to diss a Pacboard member or his musical taste, I would say his name, just think of all those times I derailed 7 Syns threads. Yeah, Big E is one (out of many) of those people who just recently discovered Lil' Wayne, but last I heard he is Paul Wall's cousin and is getting a 40% discount on a new grill, so if he happens to be a fan of the popular strain of Swishahouse I won't hold it against him.
c) I admit that that was elitist/pretentious of me, but I can't lie on myself.

I do admit that I tend to hate more than love on these boards, so I'd like to take the time to say that I like Common's Electric Circus and Wu-Tang Clan's The W quite a bit.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.