DMX is one of the best lyricists of all time...

So why doesn't he ever get his props? His albums are solid. He's made at least one classic album (It's Dark and Hell Is Hot), and debatably more than one classic album. His lyrics are always on point, his beats knock, and he has more emotion than any other rapper out right now. His new joint, "Lord Give Me A Sign," is different from any rap song I've ever heard.

So, why doesn't he get props?

S. Fourteen

I've been top dog and I'ma stay top dog
So what the fuck you got to say dog?
Suck my dick! arf arf arf arf SUCK MY DICK!

I think he's decent. People were giving him more than enough props in the late 90's.

FroDawgg

i actually have been on a DMX kick the past few weeks and i noticed how good he is, too. upon further review, IDAHIH is a beginning to end banger. i can listen to the whole thing except one song ("crime story"). FOMFBOMB is close; there are some throwaway songs on there, but most of it is good. ATTWX is pretty good, as is The Great Depression, and Grand Champ is sub-par. The albums decrease in quality in the order of their release (hopefully he can get back to his old self with Year of the Dog; and he better debut at #1, b/c all of his albums have).

I agree that on his first album, and somewhat on his second, he was a great lyricist, but as time went on, saltynuts' example has come true. regardless of whether he ever steps it up again, he is at the very least entertaining.

His tribulations reflected on his rhymes. But, he can still come pretty strong... DMX was one of the best lyricists of his time. He must reclaim his spot. Looking forward to his new album.

Its Dark and Hell is Hot is an amazing album, but DMX is nowhere near one of the best lyricist. I like his style but when you talk straight lyrics X is nowhere on the map for great lyricist, but thats a personal opinion. Alot of it depends on how much hiphop you've been exposed to, 4 years ago I would have agreed with you... and i dont see what "his beats knock" have to do with being a good lyricist.

And if you've never heard a hiphop track like "lord give me a sign" turn off BET and the radio

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
FroDawgg said:
IDAHIH, FOMFBOMB, ATTWX
um i don't come here to think?

and am I the only one after 5 minutes to figure the first two, still havent guessed wtf 'attwx' is? :confused::confused: edit my bad the dot dot dot 1 :horny:

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
ImmortalTech said:
Its Dark and Hell is Hot is an amazing album, but DMX is nowhere near one of the best lyricist. I like his style but when you talk straight lyrics X is nowhere on the map for great lyricist, but thats a personal opinion. Alot of it depends on how much hiphop you've been exposed to, 4 years ago I would have agreed with you... and i dont see what "his beats knock" have to do with being a good lyricist.

And if you've never heard a hiphop track like "lord give me a sign" turn off BET and the radio
:thumb:

EDouble said:
still havent guessed wtf 'attwx' is? :confused::confused:
"And Then There Was X" DMX's third album.

Anyways, I agree with what some people said in this thread, he's not one of the best lyrcists of all time, that's just a ridiclous statement, and I like DMX, alot. I think he's one of the most entertaining, passionate rappers that ever touched a mic, and he's raw to the bone, but he's not a great lyrcist, he's not up there with Rakim, Jay-Z, Nas, ect.

Sarr

Wishes he was on probation
his first two lp's are classics

he slipped for abit, but lyrically his back to his almost best (his verse on the touch it remix was the best followed by Bank$)

ARon

If oyu listen to DMX for lyricism you are missing the point of him as a rapper. He is emotion, raw energy, and how you relate, he isnt a lyricist at all, or I dont think he tries to be, he just says some real shit and if it's lyrically tight then so be it.

DMX is no where near one of the best lyricists...

Kool G Rap, Nas, Big L, AZ, Canibus, Big Pun, Eminem, and GZA are a few examples of best lyricists, DMX doesnt come close to any of them lyrically.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.