Disco D commits suicide

ARon

Crazy news to hear daily comin from this world of ours. This time it's a relatively new producer committing suicide. Dude had lots of potential and was pretty successful as it is so it is a surprise, just goes to show what really matters I guess. I want to say RIP but then I dont, suicide is something I can't respect, condolences and everything to his family though.

Bobby Sands

You dont say RIP just because he commited suicide?The guy was obviously badly depressed.It got to a point where he just couldnt take it anymore.I dont think you have any idea what depression can do to someone.If u did you wouldnt make such a comment.

RIP.his troubles are over now.

I never heard of this guy before so I googled him and found this from urb.com

The Michigan-bred, New York-based producer—who was best known for his work with 50 Cent — began his career at the age of 16 in the college town of Ann Arbor, MI. Having discovered the then unnamed Detroit ghettotech scene via artists such as DJ Assault and DJ Godfather, the still in high school Shayman dove head first into the music scene, scoring his first residency at age 17, at Ann Arbor's The Blind Pig before he could even legally enter the venue. He began releasing music soon after signing his first record deal before graduation with Bad Boy Bill's Muzik/Mixconnection label.

Shayman remained in Ann Arbor after high school to attend the University of Michigan Ross School of Business, starting his own label, GTI Recordings his sophomore year. It was around this time that ghettotech's popularity began to peak, with Shayman appearing on several magazine covers. He issued his first major label release, "A Night at the Booty Bar" on Tommy Boy in 2003.

After college, Shayman moved to New York and began a successful career as a producer with a diverse pallette of urban sounds. He produced "Ski Mask Way" on 50 Cent's multi-platinum The Massacre and the notorious Kevin Federline track, "Popozoa" which benefited from Shayman's connection to the Brazilian baile funk sound (he lived in Brazil part-time) but he also continued to collaborate with underground acts such as Spank Rock and the Brazilian group, BRAZA, who record for Shayman's Gringo Louco label. Shayman was also a perpetual business man, creating and licensing music for commercials and video games. He even oversaw the marketing for aLeda, a line of transparent rolling papers.

Shayman fought manic-depression for much of his adult life. He told URB in April of 2006, "It got to the point where I tried to kill myself. It was bad."

In 2001, I drove Shayman and another Detroit DJ to an event in Indianapolis, Indiana where he was scheduled to play. Still in college, Dave sat in the back seat of the rental car, smoking a foul dollar cigar and reading an economics textbook with a portable reading light. An hour later, he was cutting and scratching ghettotech classics like "Ass 'N Titties" to the collected ravers. This mix of high-minded business and down low funk made him a successful producer. It's unfortunate that despite his incredible talent, his disease kept him from finding contentment.

ARon

Bobby Sands said:
You dont say RIP just because he commited suicide?The guy was obviously badly depressed.It got to a point where he just couldnt take it anymore.I dont think you have any idea what depression can do to someone.If u did you wouldnt make such a comment.

RIP.his troubles are over now.
To me committing suicide is the most cowardly thing you can do. I say R.I.P to people who earn respect, I dont respect cowardly actions, pretty simple. I know depression, a close friend of mine has been battling it for quite some time and takes pills everyday for it. Sorry if I upset you or anything but that is how I feel.

Lok

^Why did you even creat this thread? To get a few dozen "R.I.P :(" replies? You clearly don't think much of him.

Just stupid

ARon

I created this thread because there wasnt one, people should know, after all it is news. I don't think much of him but I liked some of his production.

Bobby Sands

That is some serious fucking bullshit,Aristotle.How can you make such insensitive comments.

My friends brother and mother commit suicide within a year of each other.Now you tell him that they were cowards.They had problems and it got to a point where they couldnt take it anymore.His mother's suicide was a result of his brothers death i think.

Try becoming an alcoholic or drug addict and you would see how suicide might be the only option.Alcoholism is a disease which puts the sufferer into deep depression.Are you saying a raging alcoholic who commits suicide as a result of the disease is a coward.?

Bobby Sands

According to reports, the up-and-coming producer had been suffering from manic depression and was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder.
There you have it.There was a reason behind his decision to commit suicide.It wasnt because he was a coward.

ARon

Instead of fighting depression, which my friend does on a daily basis, he commits suicide, thats cowardly. He gave up. He stopped fighting. He took the easy way out. He is a coward. Suicide is obviously something that hits you hard but I'm sorry. No side effect of anything out there is suicide, there is nothing out there that says if you become depressed you will commit suicide, it's people giving up and it's cowardly, I cant respect it.

Bobby Sands

You obviously haven't the slightest grasping of what depression or mental disorders are so im not going to argue with you over it.Your opinion on this sucks as far as im concerned.

RIP may god forgive him for a biggest sin.
For the biggest sin?Bigger sin than murder or rape is it.Again,you are ignorant about mental disorders and depression.

FroDawgg

^^^i, as a social worker, do understand that suicide is a result of extreme depression, but i see where deuce is coming from. religious people see suicide as one of the worst sins. i think it's because it's like murder in that you're taking a life, but in the case of murder you can truly repent, whereas in the case of suicide you cannot, therefore you cannot be saved.

i don't know if i necessarily agree with that, and while i don't believe it's the best solution, i wouldn't be quick to call suicide cowardly, especially for mentally unstable people.

It's hard to dispute that someone who is relatively young, as well as mentally, emotionally, and spiritually strong, performs the act of suicide as anything other than an act of momentary weakness, cowardice, and lack of foresight.

Come on Disco D!!! This is life we're talking about - this is all you have!! Though it may "only" be the physical world, you had so much to be thankful for and so much to look forward to!

But Aristotle - why do you flatter yourself by thinking that somebody has to "earn your respect" in order for you to wish them to rest in peace? Especially coming from someone who chooses "Aristotle" as a posting name - you can't reason yourself to sincerely wish that this person has made it to the other side and found peace?

We've all got our demons, and it's so difficult to find peace when things start spiraling out of control, but to get a grip and take things for face value, and then to realize that life is precious, it's all you got, and there's so much this world has to offer and so much to look forward to, and you are "too blessed to be stressed"...now THAT is strong. When I see or hear about how somebody has come back f/Iraq, with an amputated leg and burned face, but still considers himself the luckiest man in the world because he's ALIVE - now THAT is strong.

Chronic

Aristotle said:
Instead of fighting depression, which my friend does on a daily basis, he commits suicide, thats cowardly. He gave up. He stopped fighting. He took the easy way out. He is a coward.
That's assuming the fight could be won, which isn't always the case. And those pills tend to make you emotionally numb, sometimes they just mask the problems.
Without fully understanding the situation it's pretty bad to say it's cowardly period. I agree that someone that suddenly decides "I can't take it anymore" and ends it is a coward (although a single moment of weakness could be enough) but if it's a well thought out decision after trying everything, I'd call it courageous before I called it cowardly.
The fact that he was bipolar would make it a lot more difficult for him to keep his emotions under control so again labeling him a coward without knowing him or the situation is pretty shitty.

R.I.P.

Aristotle said:
Crazy news to hear daily comin from this world of ours. This time it's a relatively new producer committing suicide. Dude had lots of potential and was pretty successful as it is so it is a surprise, just goes to show what really matters I guess. I want to say RIP but then I dont, suicide is something I can't respect, condolences and everything to his family though.
Understand what you are saying. Dude sounds like he was a good guy and I know he was a good producer. I dont respect the suicide thing either. But I do say RIP because that shit is sad and it sounds like he always tried to help other people come up and help other people in life. Guy had a lot of good stuff for look forward to but now all of that is over. None of us know why he did it. Or if he did it. They only said in the paper that it looked like he killed himself. It's not courageous to kill yourself like someone above said. It is cowardly. D coulda had a long life and been sucessful and had a family if he didnt already and had love. There are things to live for but instead the guy is dead. I've had depression my whole life and I've thought about suicide lots of times in my life but I wouldnt do that because it is bullshit. If a friend of mine did that I would cry and be sad but I would be pissed that they were so stupid to not think about the people that cared about them enough to survive and get through the day. When you kill yourself you hurt all the people that care about you and that is not acceptable. People live through cancer and worse every day and they are strong enough to live. This guy had a decent life from what we see on the outside. He wasnt a starving child over in africa. If he killed himself cuz he had aids or something then hey I could understand that but otherwise it's just bullshit. I wish the best for his family. I dont know what happens after we die but I hope D finds peace. I hope he goes to a good place. It's just sad that it ended this way.

The.Menace

Staff member
The fact that he was bipolar would make it a lot more difficult for him to keep his emotions under control so again labeling him a coward without knowing him or the situation is pretty shitty.
:thumb:

RIP

Bobby Sands

I am Catholic and it is Catholic belief that suicide is a sin.I dont agree with that.As far as im concerned suicide is usually the result of a terrible mental disease that no one can understand unless they actually go through it.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.