Diamonds by Kayne West

IMO Song of the Year so far. The beat is hot, the hook is hot and the Kayne stepped his game up lyricaly on this one. And this is coming from a Kayne West hater. It also sounds like he is getting at somebody, any info?

He was here in a local station and said some of it was directed at fans who mispronounce his name and basically dick-riders, which i guess makes sense.

Kanye West cant rap...period..case closed...yall remember how everybody was talkin bout 'kanye west is gonna change rap/hiphop bla bla bla'......he the same cat who works with wack niggaz like lil jon n shit....kanye west cant rap......he should be a producer not a rapper...

It's Kanye, not Kayne. I can't believe motherfuckers STILL spell his name wrong. And it wasn't just a typo because you fucked it up 3 times in 3 sentences.

And yes, the song is hot. I don't know why people say he stepped up his game lyrically, though. In my opinion, he was never wack, and he sounds the same to me now as he did last year. I think it's just that in this instance, he isn't getting outshined by Jay-Z, Common, Twista, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, The Game, Ludacris, etc. I mean, what's the difference between this song and, say:

"I get down for my grandfather who took my momma
Made her sit in that seat where white folks ain't want us to eat
At the tender age of 6 she was arrested for the sit in
And with that in my blood I was born to be different
Now niggaz can't make it to ballads to choose leadership
But we can make it to Jacob's and to the dealership
Swear I hear new music and I just don't be feelin it
Racisms still alive, they just be concealin it
But I know they don't want me in the damn club
They even make me show I.D to get inside of Sam's club
I done did dirt and went to church and get my hands scrubbed
Swear I've been baptized each 3 or 4 times
But in the land where niggaz praise Yukons and getting paid
Its gon take a lot more than coupons to get us saved
Like it take a lot more than durags to get you waves
Nothing sad as that day my girl's father past away
So I promised to Mr. Rany I'm gonna marry your daughter
And you know I gotta thank you for the way that she was brought up
And I know that you were smiling when you see the car I bought her
You sent tears from heaven when you seen my car get balled up
But I can't complain what the accident did to my left eye
Cuz look what an accident did to Left Eye
First Aaliyah now romeo must die?
I know I got angels watchin me from the other side"

.. except for the fact that he's rapping about more traditional subject matter in "Diamonds" ("i'm very good"; "i was poor and now i'm rich"). The slowish, conversational flow is still there, the slightly corny but highly entertaining wordplay and similes are still there, the popular references are still there...

I dunno, man. Someone should explain why they think he's stepped up so much.

In my opinion the dude's never been the most lyrically talented rapper out there, merely average in the lyrical scheme of things - but he can make some tight fucking beats that makes up for the average lyricism.

He's never been lyrically talented in the "traditional" sense of rapping. He's not lyrically dope in the way Jay-Z is, or Nas is (was), or BIG was, or Eminem was. People shouldn't compare him to MC's like those. He's dope to me because he just has a different way/idea of how to be an entertaining rapper. He has a different flow than pretty much anyone else in the game and he just comes up with some cool shit that no-one else has ever come up with.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.