Anyone else sick of "money" and "hustlin" songs?

PuffnScruff

so erimakaveli, do you like songs from tupac where he talks about making money etc? because basically what i am taking from this wetodded thread is that you think it is ok for tupac to talk about said topics but not ok for people from the south who might have been influenced by tupac

and here is an idea, before you label all the south music to be the same based on what you hear from the radio why dont you actually listen to what is not being played on the radio from artists coming from the south

C.R.Y.

Diaz said:
I agree with some of what you're saying. But yeah, someone's gonna come in this thread and say "the same can be said about 2Pac ZOMG I'm sooo intelligent". I know it sucks but let it go.
and you must be smart too. :rolleyes:

truth is, most rappers talked about the same shit, including pac. what rapper hasnt talked about drugs? its the truth. getting mad at the south for talking about drugs, when most of my favorite rappers talked about the same shit would be hypocracy

jasedwads

On probation, please report any break in the guidl
since the early 90's its been about drugs, guns and hustlin. I can guarantee you its not gonna go back to the early days where raps were fun and less violent. Most of pacs work is about money and hustlin, I dont see what else rappers can talk about and still sell records.

PuffnScruff said:
so erimakaveli, do you like songs from tupac where he talks about making money etc? because basically what i am taking from this wetodded thread is that you think it is ok for tupac to talk about said topics but not ok for people from the south who might have been influenced by tupac

and here is an idea, before you label all the south music to be the same based on what you hear from the radio why dont you actually listen to what is not being played on the radio from artists coming from the south
This is ridiculous. I thought that in a 2pac forum I did not have to explain how the song "I'm Gettin Money" GREATLY, GREATLY, differs from the shit that's being put out today; for example, "Hustlin'" by Rick Ross.

Anyone with half a brain can see the difference, and I know that you all are not stupid, but you think I am and I didn't think this through.

With that being said let's look at a lyric analysis of the two songs, once representing a time before I was listening to rap (I am not going to deny that), where there was more to a song than it's title:

"Damn'd If I Don't, and DAMN'D if a nigga do" - the paradox that redeems this song and steers the idiotic away from wanted to embody the life of a drug dealer, and believing that the song is describing their feelings and emotions.

VS.

"Who da fok you tink you foking with im da foking bawz, sevin fowty five wite on wite, thats fuckin Ross
i cut em wide, i cut em long, i cut em fat..."
Seems idiotic to anyone with half a brain, but the youth eats it up.

I'm gettin' money was made in..like...94'. This is 2006! EVOLVE ALREADY!. not only have these songs degraded over time in message, depth, and quality; but they've also become annoyingly repeated over and over; the same thing. It's played out by now. And I would shut up, but its depressing that even now rappers are creating more songs like, "Do Your Chain Hang Low", that is just......retarded.

And I generalized the south because thats where most of the music is comming from I see: South = Hustlin & Grillz, East = Murder & Gunz, West = I don't know whats going on in there nowadays, and underground rap, which is, sadly now, tryna copy the south.

Of course there will always be exceptions to this, but the POPULAR artists are all about money and materials, save Outkast, who's new CD isnt doing well in sales, and their new movie reeked.

This is my first post in this forum and I made it because, as I saw it, I was the only one who was utterly disgusted and infuriated by this growing trend. And for those who are not tired of it, so be it. But when some honor role kid named Steven, whose parents arent divorced or poor, and gets everything he wants from them, tries to stick up a store and, in his defense, tells me, "Gotta get paid, my nigga", thats where I draw the line.

You guys assume that just because I say something I do not know what I'm talking about. I might not know the full story, but from what I know, I understand. If I say something, I believe it. And I can do analyse and compare other songs from the past and the present all day long, but some people, stubborn people (PuffnScruff, etc.), will never see and will dismiss me because of my age. I am talking about other people my age, so I know firsthand, the effects of this music.

ill-matic

Aristotle said:
Please stop dissing shit. It gets so very annoying.

Why don't you promote music you think has concepts and good lyrics instead of takin the easy way out.

dont be stupid. theres nothing wrong with saying "this type of music is played out, repetitive and is shit"

for real, it actually gets really tiring reading this whole "stop complaining , ignore it " yada yada bla bla shit

ill-matic said:
dont be stupid. theres nothing wrong with saying "this type of music is played out, repetitive and is shit"

for real, it actually gets really tiring reading this whole "stop complaining , ignore it " yada yada bla bla shit
thank you! someone gets it...

ill-matic said:
for real, it actually gets really tiring reading this whole "dirty south music sucks!! thats all thats on the radio and its about hustlin and grills!"

like someone else said, listen to south shit thats NOT on the radio. better yet, bump some of that bullshit 'south' music in your car and actually get a girl for once. that is unless your one of those "i dont like stupid girls, i like girls with a brain!" which you can go to church and pray for one to walk up to you cuz lord knows you wont talk to her :laugh:

hip-hop aint dead. thats a phrase that people from NY made up cuz they are mad that the south is running shit.

hustlin is hiphop, grills are hip hop. slick rick was rockin them in the 80's as well as people rockin belt buckle. bling has always been there.

EriMakaveli said:
and surprisingly is we don't walk around school singing, "gotta get paid, everyday im hustling, make money, gotta make dat cash rules everything around me," etc., which is more than I can say for 95% of my school.

whats sad about it is, Scarborough, my town, isn't bad, or ghetto, at all. they hear this hustling shit and they believe it. they think it applies to them. a few of the kids in my phys ed. class got arrested trying to stick up a corner store with a beebee gun, and the owner ended up getting stabbed by one of my friends. Mind you, I can honestly say the three out of five of the guys were not "gangsters" and were jokers. they were happy kids.
After they got booked and came back to school, I was in the change room with them and I said the thing that made the most sense to me, "why did you do it?"
the instigator, the "thug" of the group, said, "Gotta get paid, my nigga" (which was quite irritating because he is filipino, and I'm east african)
i replied, annoyed, "why don't you just get a fucking job".
they shut up. it was a way of getting money they have never thought about.

I would laugh at them, but it was actually sad. These songs are doing more than you guys think. Its ridiculous.
I honestly think they should go Delores Tucker on them all and, really, try to ban all these songs idolizing selling drugs. Kids are too too stupid these days. Anyone who works at or goes to a school will agree with me...These kids will do anything Rick Ross says.

man out here in and around the whitby area is the same dude. people shooting up schools with bb guns. its sad. (whitby, ontario)

C.R.Y. said:
and you must be smart too. :rolleyes:

truth is, most rappers talked about the same shit, including pac. what rapper hasnt talked about drugs? its the truth. getting mad at the south for talking about drugs, when most of my favorite rappers talked about the same shit would be hypocracy
well, im not trying to stir anything up but when pac talks about it i can actually picture it. but when peeps be talkin about it these days it just makes them look stupid. :rolleyes:

ill-matic

kingdizzy said:
for real, it actually gets really tiring reading this whole "dirty south music sucks!! thats all thats on the radio and its about hustlin and grills!"

like someone else said, listen to south shit thats NOT on the radio. better yet, bump some of that bullshit 'south' music in your car and actually get a girl for once. that is unless your one of those "i dont like stupid girls, i like girls with a brain!" which you can go to church and pray for one to walk up to you cuz lord knows you wont talk to her :laugh:

hip-hop aint dead. thats a phrase that people from NY made up cuz they are mad that the south is running shit.

hustlin is hiphop, grills are hip hop. slick rick was rockin them in the 80's as well as people rockin belt buckle. bling has always been there.
i think the point the thread maker is saying is not that south music sucks, but that this whole "money hustlin" thing is starting to become repetitive. it's not creative. it's not new. the point is, we get the point. its reached the point where it sucks and is unimaginative. cool, you wanna rap about hustlin, grills - well then try do it a different way from those 1000000 other songs that follow the same dry formula

BTW - what the hell do you mean the south is running shit? running what exactly? radio air play? i cant think of anything else.... or is it sales? what are they running exactly?

ill-matic said:
i think the point the thread maker is saying is not that south music sucks, but that this whole "money hustlin" thing is starting to become repetitive. it's not creative. it's not new. the point is, we get the point. its reached the point where it sucks and is unimaginative. cool, you wanna rap about hustlin, grills - well then try do it a different way from those 1000000 other songs that follow the same dry formula

BTW - what the hell do you mean the south is running shit? running what exactly? radio air play? i cant think of anything else.... or is it sales? what are they running exactly?
Well, to run means to have control and that's what exactly the south has, control. The south is running shit, whether you like it or not.

ill-matic said:
i think the point the thread maker is saying is not that south music sucks, but that this whole "money hustlin" thing is starting to become repetitive.
the thread starter said "but really, I'm tired of people from the south telling me to go sell drugs and buy a grill...can't they rap about something else?" which leads me to believe he was refering to southern hiphop sucking.

ill-matic said:
they are running radio air play, BET play, even sales. maybe not no #1's, but there are more southern rappers on the charts than anyone else. even RnB white bitches are gankin the dirty south sound into their shit. danity kane? show stopper? ciara? even ROCK music is incorporating that southern sound. its even on commercials!

PuffnScruff

EriMakaveli said:

This is ridiculous. I thought that in a 2pac forum I did not have to explain how the song "I'm Gettin Money" GREATLY, GREATLY, differs from the shit that's being put out today; for example, "Hustlin'" by Rick Ross.

Anyone with half a brain can see the difference, and I know that you all are not stupid, but you think I am and I didn't think this through.

With that being said let's look at a lyric analysis of the two songs, once representing a time before I was listening to rap (I am not going to deny that), where there was more to a song than it's title:

"Damn'd If I Don't, and DAMN'D if a nigga do" - the paradox that redeems this song and steers the idiotic away from wanted to embody the life of a drug dealer, and believing that the song is describing their feelings and emotions.

VS.

"Who da fok you tink you foking with im da foking bawz, sevin fowty five wite on wite, thats fuckin Ross
Seems idiotic to anyone with half a brain, but the youth eats it up.

I'm gettin' money was made in..like...94'. This is 2006! EVOLVE ALREADY!. not only have these songs degraded over time in message, depth, and quality; but they've also become annoyingly repeated over and over; the same thing. It's played out by now. And I would shut up, but its depressing that even now rappers are creating more songs like, "Do Your Chain Hang Low", that is just......retarded.

And I generalized the south because thats where most of the music is comming from I see: South = Hustlin & Grillz, East = Murder & Gunz, West = I don't know whats going on in there nowadays, and underground rap, which is, sadly now, tryna copy the south.

Of course there will always be exceptions to this, but the POPULAR artists are all about money and materials, save Outkast, who's new CD isnt doing well in sales, and their new movie reeked.

This is my first post in this forum and I made it because, as I saw it, I was the only one who was utterly disgusted and infuriated by this growing trend. And for those who are not tired of it, so be it. But when some honor role kid named Steven, whose parents arent divorced or poor, and gets everything he wants from them, tries to stick up a store and, in his defense, tells me, "Gotta get paid, my nigga", thats where I draw the line.

You guys assume that just because I say something I do not know what I'm talking about. I might not know the full story, but from what I know, I understand. If I say something, I believe it. And I can do analyse and compare other songs from the past and the present all day long, but some people, stubborn people (PuffnScruff, etc.), will never see and will dismiss me because of my age. I am talking about other people my age, so I know firsthand, the effects of this music.
and where did you jack this from?

first i would say to the person who wrote it, since it wasnt you, comparing those two songs is like comparing a a mercedes to a honda
and either someone needs to fucking learn how to spell or they completely wrote the rick ross lyrics to make him look stupid
it is fuck not fok, think not tink, fucking, not foking, boss not baws, and he doesnt say wite he says white.

i'm sorry but all eyes on me and other songs tupac did with death row is full of songs about the same content the south it talking about these days and there are other people in the south who talk about real issues and stuff that can touch your heart just like tupac did as well.

and the whole chain hang low is stupid, but it samples a fucking minstrel song that is why it is stupid and it comes from the midwest not the south. jibbs is from stlouis

kingdizzy said:

my bad, I was under the impression that hip hop, like the kind 2pac rapped, was about...just a bit more than grills, and hustleing.

Forgive me. I think I picked the wrong genre of music to enjoy if thats all about, and I'm pretty sure this use of hip hop by less than good rappers made 2pac clearly define his music as SOUL music. Hip Hop isn't dead, according to your definition. According to your definition, Hip Hop is superficial junk that no one with an IQ above 40 can enjoy; I know I sure can't enjoy Laffy Taffy and Bobble Head by D4L, I'd rather eat my own shit, then shit it out, then eat it again.:eek:

PuffnScruff said:
and where did you jack this from?

first i would say to the person who wrote it, since it wasnt you, comparing those two songs is like comparing a a mercedes to a honda
and either someone needs to fucking learn how to spell or they completely wrote the rick ross lyrics to make him look stupid
Mercedes vs. Honda, true, but people in this thread thought it was dumb when I was denouncing todays "hustlin" rap and praising Gettin' Money. Thats why I compared them to show how much the quality had detracted over the years and how it has been re-used a million times.
PuffnScruff said:
and the whole chain hang low is stupid, but it samples a fucking minstrel song that is why it is stupid and it comes from the midwest not the south. jibbs is from stlouis
forgive me, the midwest, although I can't see a difference from them and the south..

and what are you talking about? of course I wrote that. and yes, I was trying to make rick ross look stupid, but trust me, it doesnt look any better with proper spelling. its just as stupid...

You know what, who cares, enjoy it, do the shoulder lean, lean with it, and rock with it, hustle. Do whatever you fucking like. Just don't complain when you are type-cast in 10-years as a fad.

If you look at this in comparison of previous genres, like glam-rock, its not that different. I believe this is all a fad, and one day fans (my age) will just mature or snap out of it. And they will look back when they have children, and be like, "When I was your age I was begging people to let me sell drugs, and I wore that jewelry in my mouth (It made my breath stink), and I made everyone call me by my streetname, "Beanz"...Sigh, I was so stupid." Just as some 30+year olds reminisce on wearing lipstick and mascara in the 80's.

EriMakaveli said:
my bad, I was under the impression that hip hop, like the kind 2pac rapped, was about...just a bit more than grills, and hustleing.

According to your definition, Hip Hop is superficial junk that no one with an IQ above 40 can enjoy; I know I sure can't enjoy Laffy Taffy and Bobble Head by D4L, I'd rather eat my own shit, then shit it out, then eat it again.:eek:

...Sigh, I was so stupid." Just as some 30+year olds reminisce on wearing lipstick and mascara in the 80's.
once again, TURN OFF THE FUCKING TV AND RADIO.

hip hop is about more than hustlin and grillz, but it also INCLUDES THAT. you would know that since your God, Tupac Shakur, rapped about hustlin, too. Tupac was rappin more from someone who witnesses the shit rather than someone who actually does it (hence "the actor" as his nickname).

according to my definition? yes, d4l is hip hop, i mean they certainly arent country, right? Why dont you define hiphop for us? since you were there when it started, what is hip hop exactly? 2pac? lol

you might want to check in on a little bit of hip hop history cuz all the shit they rappin about now, was done in the 70's and 80's as well.

can you dance?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.