WTF?!!! No Promotion, But Nas is Expected to Sell 300-325K. Go Nas!!!

source:allhiphop.com\

Although Nas is expected to land atop the charts next week, the rapper isn't overly concerned with the sales of Hip-Hop Is Dead, his new album.

"I just like to hear that people are liking it and I don't [need] to know what [the sales numbers] are. I don't care," the rapper told AllHipHop.com after leaving a promotional date on MTV's TRL video countdown show.

After its release on Tuesday, the album is expected to push between 300,000 to 325,000, according to industry staple Hits Magazine.

The music industry trade site is also expecting Hip-Hop Is Dead to debut at the top of the Billboard Top 200 Albums charts.

Nas' Def Jam label mate Young Jeezy, whose new album The Inspiration debuted at No. 1 this week, apparently didn't agree with Nas' assertion that Hip-Hop has met its demise.

After an interview with rapper-turned-radio host Monie Love, he let his views known.

"It's a new day and time. A lot of [new] cats feel touchy about the situation, because this is how they eat," Jeezy said to Monie Love on on Philadelphia's WPHI-FM 100.3. "As far as what [Nas] is saying [Hip-Hop is dead] - he's trippin. It's a new story. It's a new movement. I cannot say that [Hip-Hop is dead].'"

Despite the tension, all is well between two Hip-Hop giants after they recently spoke.

"He called me. And it was just man to man. It is what it is. He lost his cool and I've done it before and we've got that right. But, its all about how you reconcile that and how quickly you do it. I respect that he called me," Nas said.

Critics have been polarized about whether Hip-Hop truly needs a funeral, but Nas simply wants the dialogue to be positive and productive.

"The topic was meant for rappers to respond in all kinds of ways so this is what we all need," he concluded.

Hip-Hop Is Dead is in stores now.
This proves what I've been tryin' to tell people all along. Sales weren't down because of piracy. They were down because of the music that was comin' out. Up until a couple of weeks ago, T.I. was the only rapper to hit platinum. Now, since November, atleast 5 rap albums that dropped have sold atleast 300k the first week and are all expected to go plat. (Jay has already hit platinum.)

why is every idiot out there gettin offended by nas' album and taking it as a "diss?" Big boi of outkast did the exact same thing as young jeezy did here. i swear to god, nas has never been more intimidating to these people than right now.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Confucius87 said:
This proves what I've been tryin' to tell people all along. Sales weren't down because of piracy. They were down because of the music that was comin' out. Up until a couple of weeks ago, T.I. was the only rapper to hit platinum. Now, since November, atleast 5 rap albums that dropped have sold atleast 300k the first week and are all expected to go plat. (Jay has already hit platinum.)
Yeah but then again, November is when the Christmas season starts, so album sales couldve been on the rise cuz people have been buying them to give as gifts.

FroDawgg

that's great news. but like nas, i don't care how much it sells. i just know it's a banging ass album, the best i've heard in a long time.

Kareem

DontGo2Sleep said:
why is every idiot out there gettin offended by nas' album and taking it as a "diss?" Big boi of outkast did the exact same thing as young jeezy did here. i swear to god, nas has never been more intimidating to these people than right now.

Probably because they have a guilty conscious. I wont speak on Big Boi because he shouldn't feel guilty Outkast is one of those groups that continuously re invents its self an in IMHO keeps it real. Where as Jeezy fits the typical mainstream southern rap artist, money, hoe's, ice. These other cats getting all bent outa shape is because they know they are the cause an their wrong.

SMH @ This thread.

Nas signs with his former arch rival Jigga.
Sparks a controversial moment with his album Name causing many artists to speak on this album
Does a song with Jigga.(You know how much hype this has caused)
Has been on T.V for the lat 4 days, MTV, TRL, 106 & Rap City.
Has been doing concerts for the last weeks.
Squashes beef with Cormega & perform Affirmative Action together on stage 2 days ago.

If that's not promotion, what the fuck is?

KO

Confucius87 said:
source:allhiphop.com\

This proves what I've been tryin' to tell people all along. Sales weren't down because of piracy

Of course its related to piracy, if you look at how much albums were selling 5 years ago compared to now the difference is astonishing, but is the music really a lot worse??

let me give you an example, it's christmas week, and Nas is gonna sit on top of the billboard 200 selling 300k, 6 years ago, when Still I Rise was released roundabout the same time it did over 400k in its first week and was 7th in the chart...

300k these days is number, six years ago, 400k got you number seven....

and it's not related to piracy?

DontGo2Sleep said:
why is every idiot out there gettin offended by nas' album and taking it as a "diss?"
How would you feel if you were a rapper, working hard to put out music, and someone came along with a holier-than-thou attitude, climbed up on a pedestal and basically declared that everything out there was shit and was killing hip-hop?

ARon

Maybe if Nas went gold first week you can say it isn't the fault of people dl'n but this is what I and everyone in the world expected him to do. Did you really expect him to sell less than 300k? I'm actually disappointed with the sales, the hype this album was getting, people were calling it classic and it does this, kind of sad. I feel like Hip-Hop needed this album to sell huge amounts just to make a statement like you dont need to make what everyone else is making to sell records, get the artistry back in it guess not.

ARon

Illuminattile said:
How would you feel if you were a rapper, working hard to put out music, and someone came along with a holier-than-thou attitude, climbed up on a pedestal and basically declared that everything out there was shit and was killing hip-hop?
How would you feel if you came out with an album name and people kept takin it the wrong way.

Go read up, your little speel is completely wrong. Nas never said anythin about the music out there, especially from the South, is killin Hip-Hop. He always talks about the capitolism in it, not the music.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.